O2 - "You don't have a smartphone"!

Caporegime
Thing is how do you define a smart phone? I'm looking at my S40 Nokia that lets me install 3rd party apps (java), lets me collect email, browse the web, twitter hell it even does multi-tasking (I can listen to music and still do other stuff). I wouldn't call it a smartphone though....

My 4 year old K750 could do that too, same with the K800 and K850, does that mean they are smartphones?

The Nokia 5800 has so many features, why shouldn't it be classed as a smartphone? Wifi, 3g, email, video, apps, camera...features are endless in the phone and I've had it over a year and its still great!

So does the SE C905, does that mean it's a smartphone?

the 5800 runs S60v5 - a smartphone Operating system. it allows the concurrent running of as many apps as you like, memory permitting.

the 5800 IS most definitely a smartphone.

The iPhone can't run multiple apps, does that mean it isn't a smartphone?

:p

In reality I would class only two major phone OSs as smart, WinMo and Android. All the rest seem to have big gaping holes in them so shouldn't be called smartphones (although Symbian is odd, don't know where to put that, sometimes it's smart, some times it's dumb...)

Soldato
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

/thread ?

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2010/r2010021.pdf

Interesting to note that this widely used source for smartphone sales statistics states by 2009 q4

- 84% of smartphones had wifi capabilities
- 83% had integrated GPS
- 55% had touch screens
- 43% had keyboards

Note this paragraph

“Looking at the whole of 2009, it is no great surprise to see Apple at the top of the table of leading vendors of touch-screen smart phones,” said Canalys analyst Tim Shepherd, “But Nokia stands out as a very close second, seeing tremendous growth thanks to models such as the Nokia 5800 and N97. And Nokia was actually the leading vendor by volume of touch-screen smart phones in the final quarter of the year.” After Apple and Nokia, HTC and Samsung took the third and fourth spots, though Canalys notes that Samsung also ships a lot of touch-screen mobile phones that are not smart phones.

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
The iPhone can't run multiple apps, does that mean it isn't a smartphone?

:p

i'll get a lot of flak for this opinion, but no, i don't think the iPhone is a smartphone. it's halfway between a dumbphone like a 6300 and a smartphone like WinMo or Android.

for reference, i have a Milestone and have muchos experience with iPhails.

Soldato
See now thats really funny I had the exact same conversation but the other way round.

I wanted a HD2 and the day i decided to get it they changed the atariffs to give smart phones a different tarrif etc. I wanted to go on the normal tarrif which was advertised the phone the day before as it was a better deal than the smart phone packages. It was explained to me it was a smart phone i couldnt get anything else. The guy stood firm right till i mentioned T-Mobile are doing a far better deal etc. They finally gave in and I got the old deal with more bolt ons and add ons than i can count.

Caporegime

Wiki said:
...There is no industry standard definition of a smartphone...

Maybe not...:p

i'll get a lot of flak for this opinion, but no, i don't think the iPhone is a smartphone. it's halfway between a dumbphone like a 6300 and a smartphone like WinMo or Android.

for reference, i have a Milestone and have muchos experience with iPhails.

I agree. It isn't a dumb phone but it's not a smartphone either (as there is usually a mention of customisation, whih you can't do with iPhones).

Soldato
OP
5800 isnt a smart phone. Never has it been classed as one, never has it been sold as one, never will it be one.

It's an ok phone, very ok in fact, but far from smart

Please simply google:

"Nokia 5800 Smartphone"

It would appear that a lot of people would disagree with you.

Caporegime
And what phones would you class as 'superphones' and what standards would have to be met?

Well maybe that should be ones that are essentially a desktop OS on a phone, with infinate customisation and ability to run almost anything.

Perhaps we should elevate WinMo and Android to that then and leave the term "smartphone" to the likes of Apple, BB, and Symbian?:p

Back
Top Bottom