1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Objections to Keir Starmer as PM?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by g67575, 6 Apr 2021.

1. g67575

Wise Guy

Yeah, I wonder if the plan was to test the public's reaction to sacking someone in a senior position, before moving onto the shadow cabinet?

2. g67575

Wise Guy

So, Rachel Reeves is now the shadow chancellor, doubt those on the left of the party will appreciate this change, they will complain that she is a Blairite of course.

What choice did Starmer have though?

Maybe we will finally hear about some meaningful policies now, and plans for tax and spending.

Anneliese Dodds is now the Party Chair & Chair of Labour Policy Review. Maybe this will be fine, she studied Social Policy at University.

Chief whip is gone too, I've no idea what difference this could make.

Last edited: 9 May 2021
  3. robfosters

Caporegime

Got to be honest, I quite fancy Rachel Reeves.

4. g67575

Wise Guy

I think Starmer was trying to unify the party up until now (picking some more left wing cabinet members was part of this), maybe this indicates a change in direction?

Lol wut, Raynor has 4 roles now:
    Deputy Leader
    Shadow First Secretary of State,
    Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
    Shadow Secretary of State for the Future of Work

Will she get a separate salary for each role???

5. g67575

Wise Guy

Maybe she should be your chief whip instead :D

6. robfosters

Caporegime

She’s actually the shadow chancellor, but I wouldn’t mind her coming round and going through my ins and outs with me :p

7. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Reeves is awful. They're moving further right.

Rayner's the outlier. Starmer's ****** up though - tried to sack her but ended up giving her a promotion! Expect to see attempts to undermine her during the coming cycle.

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

No but they seem to have a fair bit of influence with Starmer behind closed doors of late.

9. g67575

Wise Guy

I think the idea is probably to keep her as busy as possible with her 4 roles. Apparently, Keir Starmer is the only member of the shadow cabinet to receive an additional salary as leader of the opposition, beyond what MPs already get. So, bribery isn't an option.

I think you should give Reeves a chance, do you think Dodds would've done a better job?

10. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Regardless of capability, Reeves is among the furthestmost right in the PLP, and is a significant step right from Dodds. She's extremely anti-benefits and anti-immigration.

It just takes Labour further from a position I could vote for them.

11. StriderX

Caporegime

Will be interesting to see how they can possibly differentiate themselves from this government in a meaningful manner going forward.

I have a suggestion for that though, how about they roll back all this surveillance state garbage that no self-respecting liberal would ever abide, now that would be a decent policy.

12. ltron

Mobster

You're not the only one :cry:.

13. Belly

Wise Guy

I take it you haven't been to Specsavers recently?

14. XeNoN89

Sgarrista

Maybe he's getting confused with Rachel Riley :p

15. Belly

Wise Guy

Are you sure you haven't mistaken her for Rachel Riley?

SNAP posted at the same time - simultaneous thinking!

16. g67575

Wise Guy

Reeves studied PPE (at Oxford University), and Economics (at the London School of Economics) and worked as an economist before she became an MP. So, she should be well qualified for the role.

She says her political views are socially democratic, so probably not that right wing. She's not the most liberal politician on immigration, but I doubt that will offend most voters. She seems to want access to the single market, without freedom of movement with the EU, which was never a realistic option.

I hope Labour can agree a clear policy about this before the general next election, either it's worth having full access to the EU single market with freedom of movement, or it isn't. A (marginal) vote to leave the EU, does not imply that British people wanted to leave the EU single market (we could have joined EFTA, instead of the shoddy, last minute deal Boris came up with).

Last edited: 10 May 2021
  17. a1ex2001

Capodecina

The surveillance state is popular policy the law and order mob and old people lap it up hence it is a central pillar of Tory policy.

Labour needs a root and branch rebuild, the party needs to come together around a core set of policies and stop bickering. Note how the Tory’s got back into government under Cameron when they appeared united, Labour got elected under Blair when they appeared united. Those on the fringes need to pipe down and support the party as they will achieve nothing in disorganised opposition.

18. Dolph

Man of Honour

What you have to remember is that for some in labour, the political line goes something like this.

Most right to most left.
    Any Tory.
    Any social democrat outside of labour.
    Any social democrat within labour
    Attila the Hun.
    Adolf Hitler.
    The dalai lama.
    Marx.
    Jesus.
    The labour left.
    Jeremy corbyn

So it's easy to see why they get confused.

19. Scania

Capodecina

I don’t think the problem is Labour failing to get their message across, it’s more their failure to realise that their message has been received loud and clear by the electorate and resoundingly rejected yet again.

20. cheesyboy

Capodecina

We're talking about a video where a member of the electorate is blaming Labour for things entirely in the control of the Tory Government of the past 11 years.

So in this case, the Labour message clearly hasn't been heard. (of course, in Starmer's Labour, there is no message)