Oblivion questions ...

Associate
My character is a warrior under the Apprentice birthsign. This incurs a 100% weakness to magic.

When I create a healing self spell with a "Minor ailment" I do not get double the value (100%) . It is the same with or without.
Is this due to an update that is now preventing this from happening?

Also I have found a ring with 100% resistance to fire. Would this just negate my characters 100% weakness to magic so I am still not immune to fire damage?
If this is the case would I need to be 200% fire resistance to be immune?

Associate
Did you ever find out the answer to these questions? I have a couple myself.

When you have spells that say Fire Damage 5pts for 10 seconds -
does this mean 5 points of damage, every second for 10 seconds? Or 5pts total spread over 10 seconds?

Also has anyone ever played with the Atronach birthsign? I'm thinking of trying to create a character that has as much magicka as possible. Only way I can see this working is having a major skill in blade and alchemy (so that you can create lots of restore magicka potions).

Associate
OP
Oblivion Questions ........ and Answers

Yey got a reply ! :p

I have not found out yet as everything that attacks me seems to use frost,shock or burden or anything apart from fire.

Also cannot seem to get this to work still:

"When I create a healing self spell with a "Minor ailment" I do not get double the value (100%) . It is the same with or without.
Is this due to an update that is now preventing this from happening?"

In answer to your questions Echo
Fire/frost/shock damage if it is 5 points for 10 seconds will equal 5 points per second (So 5x10secs = 50 points of damage)
It differs for things like RESTORE or FORTIFY
Restore health 5 for 10 seconds = 50 points permanent
So if strat @100 you will end up with 150
Fortify health 5 for 10 seconds = 5 points total only for 10 seconds (temporary).
So if you start @100 you will raise up to 105 for 10 seconds then revert back to 100.

For your second question just enchant all of your clothes/armour with a permanent fortify magicka after you gain acces to the Arcane University

Last edited:
Associate
rayb74 said:
Fire/frost/shock damage if it is 5 points for 10 seconds will equal 5 points per second (So 5x10secs = 50 points of damage)
It differs for things like RESTORE or FORTIFY
Restore health 5 for 10 seconds = 50 points permanent
So if strat @100 you will end up with 150
Fortify health 5 for 10 seconds = 5 points total only for 10 seconds (temporary).
So if you start @100 you will raise up to 105 for 10 seconds then revert back to 100.

Thanks - it's just that I made some kind of drain health spell, I think it was 5pts for 10 seconds so that should have been 50pts of health drained. However when using it on wolves, people, etc. it didn't seem to do anything at all! The little "health arch" above the cursor showed no discernable effect. I can't believe wolves have health of 50+.

EDIT: WRT to maximum magicka, from what I can see, there are 8 items of clothing (gauntlets, greaves, helmet, neckless, cuirass, 2x rings, boots) that can be enchanted. This gives a maximum of 80 to fortify magicka which is just under half the amount from the atronach.

I'm going to have a play for a while and see what it's like. Another question - if you have this 50% spell absorption rate, you obviously WANT enemies to hit you with magicka spells. Do you still take the full amount of damage to your health when hit? Or would you only take 50% of the damage because you've absorbed the other 50%? So then if you enchanted 7 items of clothing, each with 7% absorb magicka, you'd have 99% spell absorption and hence 99% resistance to magicka? I'm presuming spell absorption and resistance to magicka are therefore one and the same. :confused: :confused:

Gosh, what a complicated game this can be if you over analyse things. :D

Last edited:
Associate
rayb74 said:
Also I have found a ring with 100% resistance to fire. Would this just negate my characters 100% weakness to magic so I am still not immune to fire damage?
If this is the case would I need to be 200% fire resistance to be immune?

Logically, I'd say you were right here. The 100% weakness to magicka is negated by the 100% resistance to fire. Therefore you will suffer normally damage to fire instead of twice the damage? I guess then you'd need 200% reistance to be immune. Is it possible to have more than 100% resistance/weakness to something?

Associate
OP
I put on the 100 % fire resistance ring and stood in a fire and got NO Damage at all.
So this kinda negates my earlier logic.

I am beginning to understand that in this game is that nothing is black or white. For example:

When using silence on wraiths it doesn`t work.

I just made some triple damage potions (Expert alchemy) and sometimes I hit a bandit and it does hardly any damage another time it wipes them out (as expected)

Also when shooting poisened arrows in sneak mode it seems that only the damage from the intitial arrow is multiplied not the effect of the poison.

Back
Top Bottom