OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Inspired by this thread and the many other recent "which hosting is best?" type threads, I spent my free afternoon today creating this:

www.ochostreview.co.uk

The idea is that OcUK members can suggest hosting companies (or domain registration, dedicated servers, etc...) which users can them post comments, reviews and ratings against. In future, people who have never bought webhosting before will hopefully be able to look upon this as a useful and wholly unbiased resource.

It will be moderated and any blatantly fake (or abusive, slanderous, etc) posts will be removed.

The only person not allowed to have any input is myself, for obvious reasons. To the rest of you, I'd be grateful for your input.

I have endulged in a couple of light tipples this evening and it was rather rushed so some of the code may be a little dodgy. If anything looks wrong, please let me know.

It's also very, very basic at the moment. Any suggestions for improvements or new features would be appreciated.

:)

Soldato
I've made a submission, I hope it's ok. :)

Oh, and even if this thread isn't stickied, I'm sure members will help by proving a link to that site should the usual questions arise.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
/me waits for the "sponsored by 2host" animated GIF popups

Hehe, ain't gonna happen :). It certainly won't be 'sponsored' by us, nor will it be sponsored by any other hosting company.

Pixel - looks fine mate, might be helpful if you added a review too though....

Edit: You'll notice once someone posts a review that the hosts are ordered by rating - any new companies posted will end up at the bottom. If any accidental duplicate submissions are noticed, they will be merged.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get me, ive made 2 submissions!! Very good idea mate, now no need for the threads. One day theres gonna be a website for every topic ever brought up on this forums, made by OCUK ppl. OK so we may be able to take over the internet ;)

EDIT - Why havent the links to the companys i posted about been linked properly?

Rob

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
Question - does anybody think that a threaded "comment on this review" type system would be handy or would that make it a little too much like a forum (messy and confusing)?

Man of Honour
Adz said:
Question - does anybody think that a threaded "comment on this review" type system would be handy or would that make it a little too much like a forum (messy and confusing)?
I think it'd make it too much like a forum. I'd vote for a simpl blog-style reply system.

If people want to contest reviews they can do it in their review, or post here on the forums asking for opinions etc.

Soldato
I've found that whenever you have a rating system where users do not have to post their details or "log-in" you will get idiots going through the entire site and rating everything 1/10.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
I'm recording the IP addresses so if someone were to rate everything '1', it would be blatantly obvious and I could simple do a:

DELETE FROM host_reviews WHERE ipaddr = '127.0.0.1'

Soldato
Pixel said:
robjf - Why the capslock?
? For VIDAHOST? If its that your refering to i did that because, i dunno lol. Ive always spelt it like that because it means nothing so thought it must stand for something (the VIDA bit at least)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
You're thinking of VISA ;)

Eventually I was thinking I might mail a link (perhaps with a hash of the current unix time or something) to the user which allows them to edit their submission (new host submissions, not comments).

Soldato
Adz said:
Eventually I was thinking I might mail a link (perhaps with a hash of the current unix time or something) to the user which allows them to edit their submission (new host submissions, not comments).
Yes, evidently i need that as i made a huge error of how to show a companys name :eek: :rolleyes:

:D ROb

(No offence intended, just havent been sarcastic in aggggeeesss!!)

Soldato
Nice work Adz. Hopefully it will alleviate the amount of new posts regarding hosting.

Shame you haven't put 2host down I know someone who'd write a good review. ;)

Perahps this could be a locked thread at the top of HGP?

Last edited:

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
/me points Jon in the general direction of the "submit a host" button....

;)

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about having any of our brands listed. If there were any derogotary/spammy/blatantly untrue comments that I would normally remove, I'd have to think twice about removing them from our listing in case I was (quite rightly) accused of fiddling the results...

Back
Top Bottom