OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
Done. I think that's going to happen more and more often as the list grows - I might have to put some kind of check in place.

Man of Honour
Adz said:
The rules say that only OcUK members can submit a host for review, they don't state who can post reviews. Does anyone have any views on this, one way or the other? Restricting it to OcUK members without access to the database would be somewhat hard to maintain....
Hmm, interesting one.

But then it'd be just like any other host directory.

It'd be better to restrict it to just OcUK users, although harder.

If you want people to help monitor, I'd be happy to. A simple search on the forums for the review username would show if the user was a forum member or not.

Soldato
Dunno what all the 10/10 ratings are for - nobody's perfect, surely :p

With regards to the "OcUK members only" type thing, you could always do a slightly complicated system but one that works. Generate a hash, then ask the user to insert that has into their profile, in one of the fields such as AIM name or ICQ number. Ask them for their name, and then fetch their profile page - if the hash is present, then they're a member, if it isn't then they're not :) Works well for members-only external sites on rather well known forum I visit.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
With regards to the "OcUK members only" type thing, you could always do a slightly complicated system but one that works. Generate a hash, then ask the user to insert that has into their profile, in one of the fields such as AIM name or ICQ number. Ask them for their name, and then fetch their profile page - if the hash is present, then they're a member, if it isn't then they're not Works well for members-only external sites on rather well known forum I visit.

That's a nice idea but it is a little long winded. I'm not sure if it would put users off voting if we made them jump through too many hoops.

If OcUK wanted to let me verify users against the database, they could always punch a hole in their firewall and allow me select privileges only.

I don't think non-OcUK ratings will be too much of an issue though. 'Spam' will be easy to spot and the site won't be promoted outside of this forum anyway.

Associate
great idea, if only i had a company to review :S

Great for when i don't get free hosting through my uni's computer society, defiantely should be added as a sticky "Want users hosting reviews?" or something, then a link to that site...

Soldato
Just added, nice idea well done. I duno if u like this idea but why done we bet those photographers at their own game and run our own season comp but for a design for the site ** using? might be nice to get it all glisy, obviously xhtml trans/stric with css and correct use of tables div's p's, form etc and with a theme? (web hosting) just an idea might be nice to run

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
If people wanted to have a go at the design, I'd have no objections but I think it works quite well as it is. I'm not looking to create an all singing, all dancing, flashy website - just a simple database of "OcUK approved" hosting companies :).

Btw, unknowndomain, I hope you don't mind but I've edited your k1z submission for accuracy. I really should get something done about that logo but it's such a small concern I haven't found the time.

Soldato
Adz said:
If people wanted to have a go at the design, I'd have no objections but I think it works quite well as it is. I'm not looking to create an all singing, all dancing, flashy website - just a simple database of "OcUK approved" hosting companies :).

Btw, unknowndomain, I hope you don't mind but I've edited your k1z submission for accuracy. I really should get something done about that logo but it's such a small concern I haven't found the time.

Nah thats kl, cant actually see what u changed but i dont mind as its ** company and all. Nice of you to host it though, cheers! - 10 gold stars!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
5 stars done :)
Certainly be consulting that site when it comes to me purchasing webhosting again.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
I'm a little concerned by the fact that over half of the sites listed (that I know of) are owned by or affiliated with OcUK members. That's not necessarily a bad thing but some variety would be nice guys ;).

Thanks for the stars :).

Edit: Daz is right on the pronunciation. When I get around to it that site will be renamed, rebranded, redesigned, merged with another budget host I'm in the process of buying out and promoted like crazy. Watch this space.

Back
Top Bottom