OcUK Christmas Cooking Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
This is a bit of a trial run, but here's the first of hopefully many OcUK Cookoff Competitions.

All people that wish to participate must create an original main course using all of the ingredients listed.

When cooking the dish, all entrants must take photos illustrating the method of the recipe as well as the final result.

The entrant must also post a full method as well as a list of quantities of ingredients used.

The entries will be shortlisted out of 40 points and will be judged on originality, creativity, difficulty and presentation. There will be a poll based on presentation of the dish where the winner will get 10 points and the rest a percentage based on total votes. The remainder of the votes will be judged by the panel as will any tied votes.

Once a shortlist has been decided, the three most popular dishes will be cooked by a panel of judges. The judges will mark on the criteria above as well as taste, flavour combinations and texture.

The panel will be judged by three members: myself, AcidHell2 and JodieG and we will decide the eventual winner. All judges’ decisions are final.
The winner will have an automatic entry to the judge panel on the next round.

Each round will have between 6 and 8 ingredients chosen by the judges that MUST be used in any recipe as well as cupboard ingredients that can be used at the entrants discretion.

Round One Ingredients:
Chicken Thigh / Quorn
Potato
Pastry (Must only use flour, butter/oil, water or can be shop bought)
Butternut squash
Red onion
Cabbage
Goats Cheese

Cupboard Ingredients
Herbs/Spices
Butter/Oils
Vinegars
Seasoning
Eggs
Milk
Stock cubes
Baking poweder
Granulated Sugar
Cream
Lea & Perrins, Fish and Soy Sauces
Flour
Wine (Red or White)

In the Christmas spirit of things, there will be a prize of £50 worth of OcUK hardware for the winner very generously donated by Spie :)

Clarifications:
A main course can consist of a few dishes, but they must complememt each other as a whole course.
Quorn alternative added for veggies.

To submit an entry, email photos (both during cooking and the final result) and the recipe (including method and ingredients and quantities thereof) to myself at Burnsy2023 or JodieG Please also post that you have enetered in this thread so we can make sure we have everyone's entries. We have avoided posting all the details here to prevent the copying of ideas/cheating.

Update: Due to the slow number of entries and the busy nature of people around this period, it had been decided to extend the entry deadline until Monday 7th January

Burnsy

Last edited:
Permabanned
You mention that entrants must use *all* of the ingredients listed? Presumably thats only all of the main ingrediuents, rather than the cupboard ones as well?

Even then, I think its a strange requirement - what if a talented cook could create a high quality meal using everything except cabbage - would they be disqualified?

Forcing people to use *all* the ingredients is a little too artificial - you end up thinking 'How can I crowbar ingredient X into my dish?'

Caporegime
What is the closing date of this first round? Or are they all 24th December? How many rounds?

I may have a go when I get back home. :)

Soldato
You mention that entrants must use *all* of the ingredients listed? Presumably thats only all of the main ingrediuents, rather than the cupboard ones as well?

Even then, I think its a strange requirement - what if a talented cook could create a high quality meal using everything except cabbage - would they be disqualified?

Forcing people to use *all* the ingredients is a little too artificial - you end up thinking 'How can I crowbar ingredient X into my dish?'

All the main ingredients. We did discuss it at length last night and decided that it would be a good idea to try and see what people could come up with using all the ingredients. You won't be disqualified for not using them all but you will lose points (I'll double check that with the other 2 though).

Permabanned
All the main ingredients. We did discuss it at length last night and decided that it would be a good idea to try and see what people could come up with using all the ingredients. You won't be disqualified for not using them all but you will lose points (I'll double check that with the other 2 though).

Dont you think that's a little odd? To take this example, looking at the ingredients just screams out 'goats cheese and red onion tart' - a dish that is technically difficult, yet damn tasty when done correctly. But then its a case of 'how on earth do I crowbar chicken and cabbage and squash into such a dish?

Would it be acceptable to incorporate 1 gram of butternut squash in order to not lose points? Even though it would be pretty much undetectable?

It becomes less about cooking and more about culinary sleight of hand.

Caporegime
Would it be acceptable to incorporate 1 gram of butternut squash in order to not lose points? Even though it would be pretty much undetectable?

No, you have to buy a large one. Use the whole thing, cram the chicken inside it and BBQ it.

Thats my plan any way. :D:D

Soldato
Dont you think that's a little odd? To take this example, looking at the ingredients just screams out 'goats cheese and red onion tart' - a dish that is technically difficult, yet damn tasty when done correctly. But then its a case of 'how on earth do I crowbar chicken and cabbage and squash into such a dish?

It becomes less about cooking and more about culinary sleight of hand.

You could do the tart and something on the side to go with it. It's about trying to use the ingredients we've come up with. Just like ready, steady, cook ;) :p You use what you're given. I'll have to talk with the other 2 regarding your last point.

Soldato
Look if you're going to try to create OcUK food poker then you might as well completely rip it off and only make 2 of the ingredients necessary! Sorry, but the food poker program was the first thing that flashed into my mind reading that. Might enter, but nearer the end to see what I have to beat.

Soldato
Sorry (and I realise im being pedantic here...so sue me, meh), but shouldnt the OP be changed to talk about dishes then?

I'll get back to you after having spoken to the others :) It might well be that you just have to use them all and that's it.

Look if you're going to try to create OcUK food poker then you might as well completely rip it off and only make 2 of the ingredients necessary! Sorry, but the food poker program was the first thing that flashed into my mind reading that. Might enter, but nearer the end to see what I have to beat.

I've never heard of that so it certainly wasn't ripped off. Burnsy, Acid and me spent hours last night talking this through on msn so I saw all the ideas and this is the end result. :)

Soldato
Personally I don't think concessions should be made for vegetarians because then where do you stop? Vegans, Fruitarians, Muslims, Allergies, Cannibals, people who happen to not like jelly - it's a slippery slope.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
it's hardly a concession to say chicken/vegetarian/vegan alternative, is it? I don't see what being Muslim has to do with it, either?

maybe it should be the OcUK Carnivore Cookery Competition. then vegetarians won't want to enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom