• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Customers please read

Permabanned
Heh, if you want someone local with experience of working in mail order environment then give me a shout!!

Available at short notice, will work self employed, honest, reliable etc etc.

Soldato
Plenty of people whinge about the phones etc. not being too good at OcUK. What I don't understand is... nobody's forcing you to do business with OcUK! If you don't like the way they do things then you're perfectly free to go elsewhere. As it is you seem to stick around so they're obviously the best option!

Soldato
Mattus said:
Plenty of people whinge about the phones etc. not being too good at OcUK. What I don't understand is... nobody's forcing you to do business with OcUK! If you don't like the way they do things then you're perfectly free to go elsewhere. As it is you seem to stick around so they're obviously the best option!

That's a very intelligent post !

When someone posts about their sortfall's and problems in an open forum it shows the complete opposite of Your like it or Lump it attitude !

Man of Honour
Ghuraba said:
I remember the first time I ordered from OcUK. 2001 it was. I bought a heatsink for my first self-built PC. I remember on another websites forums I mentioned where the particular heatsink was available and they really slated OcUK. I was worried about ordering as I was new to online shopping. I ordered anyway without a problem I'm pleased to say.

In 5 years I 've bought all my gear from OcUK. Although they might not be the cheapest, few pounds here or there on some items, but they have excellent delivery so when I want something fast I know I can have it in literally 24 hours. This is what is important to me. I've bough pretty well all my PC components from OcUK and in 5 years I've only had one ATI 9700np bork on me and that was after 6 months use and some clocking.

Keep up the good work :)

Michael
The first time I bought from OcUK was the result of someone telling me about a PC components shop in a big shed a few miles away, when I wanted a motherboard that had been released a couple of days earlier. I went there, mentioned the chipset and manufacturer and the OcUK staff member told me the model and revision number off the top of their head, plus the fact that they had the boards in stock. I've also had them advise me to not buy a more expensive product because there were reliability issues with it (they'd sell it to me if I wanted it, of course) and I've heard them tell someone that they could buy a second-hand motherboard from Loot for about £20 or buy a new motherboard, CPU and memory from OcUK for a couple of hundred quid (it was an obsolete system, the stuff wasn't sold new any more, so he wouldn't have been able to just buy a new motherboard). That guy probably bought a motherboard from Loot...but he probably bought his next lot of kit from OcUK, or his friends did.

In short, I shop at OcUK because in almost all cases they know what they're selling and they'll advise on the basis of what's best for the customer, not what makes the most profit for OcUK on that sale. That's not the case in many shops. Since finding OcUK, my purchases elsewhere have been one DVD writer, one HDD enclosure, blank discs and a £25 printer (it works well enough), all because I could buy them from places nearer home.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Mattus said:

Forum and shop are different mate.

I stick around the forum does not in any way imply i stick around the shop, neither does it imply other people do.

Associate
Angilion said:
I've also had them advise me to not buy a more expensive product because there were reliability issues with it (they'd sell it to me if I wanted it, of course) and I've heard them tell someone that they could buy a second-hand motherboard from Loot for about £20 or buy a new motherboard, CPU and memory from OcUK for a couple of hundred quid (it was an obsolete system, the stuff wasn't sold new any more, so he wouldn't have been able to just buy a new motherboard). That guy probably bought a motherboard from Loot...but he probably bought his next lot of kit from OcUK, or his friends did.
I'm not really prone to writing gushing testimonials, as my general experience with retailers both online and offline in the UK deserves a whole lot less than glowing praise.

I have to make an exception here though...
The current system I use, was built by me with all components purchased at OcUK. All the items arrived the very next day, and when my ATi r9700 pro went wrong pretty much a week after I bought it, (the first set of those cards produced more heat than a blast furnace, and the stock fans were pathetic) I called them up, and they had a new one sent to me the same day as the old one arrived back. My card had broken on the tuesday and on the thursday my system was POSTing with a new one in it.

I've been using my current rig for well over 3 years now, and hadn't really kept up with the hardware that had been released in the period between now and way back then. A about a month ago it really started to basically fall to bits. Horrible artifacting from the now failing 9700 pro, and just wasn't fast enough to play anything recent.

I was feeling lazy and didn't fancy doing much research, so I checked out OcUKs prebuilt systems. When I called up asking about one of their prebuilt Ultima AMD FX systems and was almost certainly going to buy one on the spot, the guy on the phone told me I could have one if I wanted, but on personal recommendation he'd wait for the Conroe chip. At the risk of losing a sale though my impatience to buy, he advised me to go for something that'd perform better, last me longer, and probably actually end up costing less.

Having bought items in places ranging from other online retailers, to the evil yellow and purple retail park warehouses, I've never been more impressed by a computer hardware salesman. All the research I've done since then, and the general forum opinion here says that I got advised fairly and altruistically by someone who is employed to try to part me from my money.

Needless to say, next week I'm going to spend a whole lot of cash at OcUK on a new conroe rig, all the while feeling confident that I won't be let down. I've recommended pretty much anyone who asks me where they should buy computer components and not one person has come back to me reporting bad service. (aside from one guy who's order got lost by Lynx. who I see they seem to have dumped a few years ago.)

~Rait

Soldato
In reality,

its not hard to give customers what they need.

The phone system is hardly a big problem in my experience, the e-note system works very well and quickly.
Why ppl still inist on sitting on a phone for hours on end waiting to talk to someone is beyond me.

Soldato
welshtom said:
Forum and shop are different mate.

I stick around the forum does not in any way imply i stick around the shop, neither does it imply other people do.

True. But if you don't intend to purchase anything from OcUK, I find it pretty pointless lurking around the forums just telling people how poor their service is!

(Not implying that you do this, but there are undoubtedly some who do...)

Associate
sometimes webnotes just dont work well, and a phone call is much more simple

i like the fact you admit theres a problem and accept it rather than just brushing over like has happened to me in the past with other shops

Back
Top Bottom