OcUK Dadsnet thread

NVP

NVP

Soldato
:) thanks, he's had an awesome day and both now sleeping soundly, thank god haha!

Going in to this whole thing I had no idea pregnancy was so treacherous! After the delicacy of the first, my wife was wrapped up in bubble wrap for the second!

All the best with your twins :)

Soldato
OP
Gotta love those moments where you just look at your crazy little offspring and your heart just swells with love. Nothing like it in the world and it just doesn't get old.

Associate
Our little one is 24 days old today. I'm going through redundancy at work and only managed 8 days at work between furlough and paternity, now back in work full time on a massive project with limited time. Tiredness and stress are dripping from my eyeballs right now. Sooooooo tird!! But I can't believe how much I'm enjoying having him around, his little squeaks, gurgles and general squishyness keep me going.

Associate
First day of nursery for our girl tomorrow, Im excited and nervous I really think she will do great.

Btw did anyone else struggle with the poo stage of potty training been a month now everything else is down to a t but still has accidents with number 2?

Associate
Our little one is 24 days old today. I'm going through redundancy at work and only managed 8 days at work between furlough and paternity, now back in work full time on a massive project with limited time. Tiredness and stress are dripping from my eyeballs right now. Sooooooo tird!! But I can't believe how much I'm enjoying having him around, his little squeaks, gurgles and general squishyness keep me going.

Lots happens for you all at the same time then, they're amazing motivation to do the best possible! :)

Associate
First day of nursery for our girl tomorrow, Im excited and nervous I really think she will do great.

Btw did anyone else struggle with the poo stage of potty training been a month now everything else is down to a t but still has accidents with number 2?

Pretty common, I believe, to struggle with #2s, apparently the body gets so used to the feeling of going into a nappy that it feels weird without. Grim. Keep persevering :)

Soldato
Daughter starting school for the first time soon, she hasn't attended nursery. She has her first morning session on the 15th, then an afternoon session on the 17th, before starting full time the week after. I don't know how hard it'll be, but I have a dreaded feeling this isn't going to be easy :(. Originally, one parent was going to be allowed to join them on the first day, although when we got thrown back into a local lockdown, that changed.

Soldato
Late to the party with this announcement but our first arrived on 23rd - quite a tough birth (getting the impression many are tbh) and the COVID restrictions made it harder still but both my daughter is very healthy and happy and my wife appears to be on the mend after a tough week or so... Pretty disappointed in the care and aftercare; nothing monstrously incompetent or negligent but it feels like they've been very quick to go "Oh, COVID, well guess we will abandon everything and anything that we can't be bothered to do"

I don't have much to compare to but I think we've been quite lucky so far - she doesn't seem overtly fussy except for when there is something quite clear and identifiable wrong, so we're just soldiering on with the "nap, change, feed, repeat" routine for the time being and have split the night-time into 2 "shifts" - any stirring before the overnight feed is handled by my wife and any after is handled by me, with the other person focusing on staying asleep unless something disastrous is occurring. A bit confused sometimes if we are feeding her too much; some advice suggests that you can't really overfeed them, but some sites say you can... we basically just try our best to address any other possible issues and then spend a little bit trying to settle her but if she keeps obviously rooting and starts getting mega fussy tend to give in and feed her (even if outside of the 2 - 3 or 3 - 4 hours that seems to be suggested is about right)

Soldato
Just over 3 months in and our little one has been sleeping through the night with minimal wake ups for feeds. We really feel lucky as we've had little issues with sleeping, pretty much from the start. It sure didn't feel like it at the time but with 3 months hindsight it's gone really well.

Only issue we're still working on is that she'll only go to sleep if WE go to sleep as well. So it's lights out and dead quiet in the house from about 8pm. If we try to put her down and leave her - forget about it. Once she's asleep we can get up and do whatever but by then we're both half asleep anyway so we just stay tucked up in bed. We still get the odd bouts of uncontrollable and inexplicable crying that can last for a good hour at times and then stop as quickly as it started. Although that's becoming increasingly rare. But all and all she's been really no trouble. She's grown to fuss a bit at the TV remote, my Kindle, any book or a phone in any of our hands as she's figured out that it takes the focus and attention away from her. Very clever how she picked that up.

She's also a very curious baby. Very observant and quickly fusses when she becomes bored. Her eyes are constantly darting around and she's fascinated watching us do just about anything. She likes it when I take her for walks around garden and touch the leaves, look at birds, different colors, etc. Also been taking her swimming with me and she loves just floating in the water with me. We've also been taking her to this baby rock and rhyme event at our local library and while she's obviously way too young to participate, she enjoys just watching the other older babies with lots of smiles and gurgles. The best part is when I get home from work. My partner says that she can somehow tell when I'm due home as from 4:30pm she'll keep glancing at the front door until I walk through it just before 5pm. Probably just my partner's imagination but it's a nice thought nonetheless. She get so delighted when she sees me she nearly falls over with smiles and delight. Very endearing.

Anyway, just a bit of a brain dump update. Hope it's all going well for the new and more experienced dads.

Soldato
Sounds wonderful regulus. It can be a lot of fun at that age. Quite easy in many ways too, life is simple. A nice quote "You spend the first 18 months teaching them to speak, and the next 18 years wishing they'd shut up." Not quite 100% true, but still close at times!

We had a very good time with sleeping at first, but as he got older we lost it, so count your blessings, but things can change, be sure to implement good habits again at that point.

Soldato
We had a very good time with sleeping at first, but as he got older we lost it, so count your blessings, but things can change, be sure to implement good habits again at that point.

This seems very common going by our daughter and the kids we know. Our daughter slept really well for 6 months and then we had a year and a half of lots of waking up / crying in the night.

Luckily, since she's been about 3, she sleeps right through other than getting up for a wee once a night. I have to wake her up most days!

It's school application time for us and I'm really pinning my hopes on the local CofE school. We've been to church pretty consistently for the past 2 years so we should be fine but the application:places ratio is worrying. 65% of people who put it as their first choice get in so a 2/3 chance for us.

Soldato
This seems very common going by our daughter and the kids we know. Our daughter slept really well for 6 months and then we had a year and a half of lots of waking up / crying in the night.

Luckily, since she's been about 3, she sleeps right through other than getting up for a wee once a night. I have to wake her up most days!

It's school application time for us and I'm really pinning my hopes on the local CofE school. We've been to church pretty consistently for the past 2 years so we should be fine but the application:places ratio is worrying. 65% of people who put it as their first choice get in so a 2/3 chance for us.

Our son started off very good, and completely lost it. Thankfully we had a friend who has a masters in child sleep (baby behaviour in general), she helped us get on top of it, but we let it go too long. She made us write a sleep diary, recording every time we woke up, and why. That following morning we realise just how insane it was, when you see it written down... Had some hard nights as we tackled it (emotionally hard, as well as lack of sleep), but it improved drastically.

I'm hoping to send my boy to try for a scholarship in the coming months at the local private school (actually went there myself on a scholarship). His school now is fine, but the secondary schools in the area are all quite poor.

Caporegime
I'm hoping to send my boy to try for a scholarship in the coming months at the local private school (actually went there myself on a scholarship). His school now is fine, but the secondary schools in the area are all quite poor.

I can relate to this our eldest missed out on her 11+ by 3 points and due to being oversubscribed she lost the appeal too. Ironically her sats were far better than most of her friends who passed. In our area the gulf between the grammar/high schools and normal schools is massive. Luckily I have just been promoted and looking to relocate near to Lincoln where the schools in general are far far better.

Soldato
I can relate to this our eldest missed out on her 11+ by 3 points and due to being oversubscribed she lost the appeal too. Ironically her sats were far better than most of her friends who passed. In our area the gulf between the grammar/high schools and normal schools is massive. Luckily I have just been promoted and looking to relocate near to Lincoln where the schools in general are far far better.

I think we could probably just about manage full fees, though if we go down that route, we'll let him finish up at the primary school first, before moving to private. It may also give us/him another chance to go for a scholarship.

So yesterday was the scan we had been waiting for. Looks like George is getting a sister.

Congrats!

Soldato
Yeah double post but days apart and different topic.

Simply have to recommend Science Comics. Educational graphic novels basically. My boy is 8 and loves reading my beanos but has struggled with longer stories. These are amazing, he'll read them for hours. The amount of information they contain is simply amazing.

Don
Yeah double post but days apart and different topic.

Simply have to recommend Science Comics. Educational graphic novels basically. My boy is 8 and loves reading my beanos but has struggled with longer stories. These are amazing, he'll read them for hours. The amount of information they contain is simply amazing.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it but they seem really expensive for what they are... (at least on Amazon). Where do you get your copies from?

Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it but they seem really expensive for what they are... (at least on Amazon). Where do you get your copies from?

I thought the same, took the plunge with 1, and my son devoured it. Haven't looked back. Amazon, Blackwells and World of Books, usually about £8 each. About 120 pages (so quite long really). Some have better storylines than others, some are less story, more just facts and concepts etc. I would highly recommend the Plagues one, very nice storyline, crazy amounts of information and obviously applicable for the times. Think my son read it 3 times on the first day, and has probably read it at least 4+ more times since he got it. After he read it, we had a discussion on how the body detects and fights foreign bodies, and how vaccinations work. It talks about the different types of white blood cells etc.

The amount of information it has in it is so impressive for me, that I'm happy to pay. Especially as I figure that I can probably sell them on for at least £5, if not more, each, in a few years time (I honestly think the info in them is probably going to still be educationally functional for a few years yet, if not more in some cases).

Soldato
OP
At 4 years old, my daughter has finally decided its more fun to swing herself than to be pushed, and I can finally join the ranks of parents sitting on a bench at the park while she gets stuck in to everything.

Started big school, and despite some fierce showdowns over uniform on days 1 and 2, awe are now smooth sailing there too. Things are looking good!

Back
Top Bottom