OcUK Dadsnet thread

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I also saw this https://www.trendybaby.co.uk/joie-c...ture-i-base-advance-travel-system-navy-blazer which comes with a bigger car seat too, but as that only goes up to 4yo, I'd need another seat anyway - so it doesn't seem as though I'd be much better off!

We have/had that. Was great at the time, but she's 2 and a half so it doesn't really get used anymore. The pushchair part is still handy if she want a sleep while we're out and it makes a good baggage trolley too! It's great off road if that's something you would consider.

When she was a baby it was great just being able to lift her out if the car and onto the pushchair, especially if she was asleep.. The car seat will recline so she could lie flat too, good for longer trips in the car.

Associate
Great didn't want to call it, but guess the kid wasn't joking when he shouted out his brother was self-isolating.

A whole class has been asked to self isolate due to covid outbreak today.

Soldato
We generally did everything together the first few days and that really helped me to feel like I was involved. Think I changed more nappies than mum did. Feeding can really cause some worries but the little ones are very resilient - after 2 days we gave up breast feeding (little one not interested/not getting enough) and moved to expressing. Worked really well, but within a week she couldn't express enough for our bottomless pit so switched to a combination with formula. After 2 weeks gave up expressing (she would be expressing for 2 days just to get enough for 1 feed) and switched to formula alone. He grew fast, drank loads more than the 'recommended' but continued to progress fast so we just became 'baby lead' rather than sticking to set amounts. He still drinks more than most kids now, just water during the day and will polish off at least a litre most days.
Apologies but I've not been back to this thread since my post then (March 2019). Wow. Life has moved on so much since then! :o :D

My little dude is now 3 and a few months old, pretty amazing reading my own words from back then (and before) when trying to figure out how long it had been since reading & posting in here... Harry is doing well, still ahead of the curve in everything, proper chatterbox and bosses us all around. Is it possible to be independent at the age of 3? :D

Weighs 15.8kg is 1.03m tall and into everything. He can (reliably) count to 15 and fairly well up to 30 (which amazes me). He has interest in the alphabet (calls writing 'ABC's!) and can identify certain letters and say what words begin with that letter, amazing considering he was off nursery for 5 months (due to lockdown) and proves we must have been doing something right... Although didn't force anything on him and he did watch far too much telly some days...!

Having a good day but almost ended up in floods of tears at work reading @robj20 story. Wow what you've been through. I'll admit I had to skip to the end of the thread to prove to myself there was a happy ending before I continued with the read while at lunch. Hats off to you and hope George has continued to amaze. What a story! I'd like to say I can relate/sympathize being what I went through when born early, but lets be honest I don't remember anything about that (8 weeks early in 1980), only the stories from family and a few scars from my 11 weeks in hospital. It was a huge relief for me that my boy (Harry) actually arrived 4 days late! Huge respect to you and hope things long continue for you all.

One thing that occurred to me later was that once he starts school, how on Earth do parents who both work full time cope with all the school holidays, in terms of childcare whilst working?

Would be interested to hear your views / situations. My partner will go back 3 days a week once her maternity finishes up, and obviously school is a LONG way away yet, but it certainly got me thinking! Particularly with the summer hols...when they are too young to be left alone in the house etc.
Pretty much there ourselves. I work usual 5 days, other half changed job from 3 days and now is starting 4. We did some rough calculations for when he starts school (September 2022) what we'll do as basically between maxing holiday allowances we are going to be 8 days short. We've not factored in any other cover, or parents/family into that yet, so will probably easily cover. But basically I reached the point of saying I'd take it unpaid from work if it really came to it. In reality my work is very understanding and it would be unusual for me to need to do that, much more feasible to WFH a few days, will cross that bridge when we get to it. For us me working a 'long' week (currently 42h), compared to my other halfs (28h), yet her being paid quite well, makes it less of a financial drop for us. Also in my mind a sacrifice I'm more willing to make - I have more savings than her, generally spend less of my wage, so will 'feel' it less. In my mind I'll put some money to one side to cover it, but in reality I'll just not worry until the time comes. Other half will probably stress about it many times before then, with some crazy ideas about what we can do, for me to know in the back of my mind what we can fall back onto (and will probably end up doing).

My other half is trying to convince me to commit to an eletric ride on for my toddler, i don't see why a balance/pedal bike wont do.

In my experience they are often poorly made, underpowered and get chucked in the back of the shed after the second day, anyone got a different opinion on them?
We've had an electric quad (we paid £5 for S/H) and now a 3 wheeler police motorbike (paid £35). Both very plastic and make me think they'd just break within 5 minutes (but didn't). Mini has used both alongside a balance bike he's worn the hell out of (that I snagged for £10 barely used from a fb group). We're a family for bargains lol. He prefers the balance bike and is amazing on it, whereas the battery vehicles are more like a 'fun' thing to play with occasionally in the garden for 20 minutes. If he wants to do some serious wizzing around/walking the dog/going to the woods, the balance bike is first and only thought/consideration. Can spend 2-3 hours on it sometimes. Almost like he 'gets' how that works, can go as fast/slow as he likes, doesn't need buttons or it running out of charge, can bash it around without M&D shouting (too much...) and just seems to enjoy it more. TLDR; give them a choice, you might be surprised which they want/prefer.

Still contemplating what is the best route for putting money away for our little one until he is older and mature enough to spend it wisely.
It's tough, we have some mini-ISA thing which transfers into a regular account when he reaches some point before 16, under our control, then at 16 transfers to him. Mostly ended up with it alongside our Mortgage/Current account with Nationwide, just so we had 'something' for friends and family to transfer to than anything else. Still some grand parents who prefer to send a cheque, generally get them to address it to H (as that's my initial too), pay it in mine and transfer the money. Or usually just keep track and then buy him what we need with it from there.

He's so much fun when he's in a good mood but when he's on one it's so tough to keep him from melting down. They say teenagers have mood swings but it can't be much worse than this!
Not too long ago we had a 3 hour end of world meltdown because some of the batter fell off the outside of a fish finger and daddy couldn't stick it back on... #parenting

child care is just nuts, we had ours full time at one point and it was over £1.6k per month. That’s more than my mortgage.
Tell me about it. Ours is £138 per week for 3 days. And that's without any early/late dropoffs in a quite 'cheap' area of the country in probably the cheapest nursery we could find. It's £150 less pm than our mortgage on a 4 bed detached house with garage and 3 gardens... Like I say cheap-ish part of the country. The other half working 3 days a week couldn't cover the childcare and mortgage on her own. But it's ok, we get 'free' childcare start of next year... By then my other half will be working 4 days a week. It's going to be amazing having that extra £500+ per month we thought... Oh no, there's admin and coverage fee's from the Nursery which are not covered by the Government childcare voucher, so with our increase in childcare requirements (3 to 4 days), along with those fee's means we'll 'only' be paying £380 a month. It's a massive reduction, but still not quite the £120 we thought! :rolleyes:

I'll try and frequent here a little more than I have been (regular in the cycling sub), but still some catching up to do...!

Last edited:
Associate
We've had an electric quad (we paid £5 for S/H) and now a 3 wheeler police motorbike (paid £35). Both very plastic and make me think they'd just break within 5 minutes (but didn't). Mini has used both alongside a balance bike he's worn the hell out of (that I snagged for £10 barely used from a fb group). We're a family for bargains lol. He prefers the balance bike and is amazing on it, whereas the battery vehicles are more like a 'fun' thing to play with occasionally in the garden for 20 minutes. If he wants to do some serious wizzing around/walking the dog/going to the woods, the balance bike is first and only thought/consideration. Can spend 2-3 hours on it sometimes. Almost like he 'gets' how that works, can go as fast/slow as he likes, doesn't need buttons or it running out of charge, can bash it around without M&D shouting (too much...) and just seems to enjoy it more. TLDR; give them a choice, you might be surprised which they want/prefer.

Ended up buying a 2020 ridgeback scoot from freewheel for £80 as I liked the dimensions and rear brake. it's her birthday beginning January so if she gets lucky might get her a ride on as well ^^

We're in an older community so getting decent second-hand kid stuff requires miracles :(

Soldato
Anyone else's 5 year old just mope about instead of playing with their plethora of toys. I just don't understand. He goes to school all week you'd think he'd be itching to play with it all. Instead he just mopes about. We have a 6 month old too so we try and juggle between us and them both.

We just want him to play independently sometimes. He constantly wants our attention to play. It's so frustrating.

Soldato
Anyone else's 5 year old just mope about instead of playing with their plethora of toys. I just don't understand. He goes to school all week you'd think he'd be itching to play with it all. Instead he just mopes about. We have a 6 month old too so we try and juggle between us and them both.

We just want him to play independently sometimes. He constantly wants our attention to play. It's so frustrating.

I'm no expert but could it be him still adjusting to the addition of the little one? He's gone from being the centre of attention for 5 years and may be struggling now to share the lions share of attention with the 6m old?

Soldato
No cos he plays well with the baby, it's just getting him going with playing with his toys. He always wants us to be there to play all the time. That's fine but we do have things to do also and I'm sure other kids can and do play on their own from time to time.

Soldato
No cos he plays well with the baby, it's just getting him going with playing with his toys. He always wants us to be there to play all the time. That's fine but we do have things to do also and I'm sure other kids can and do play on their own from time to time.
Perhaps he needs a project? You could start playing with him on a number of projects and then leave him to it with an objective. "when I come back I want to see this scalextric track/home made Xmas cards/art project complete".

Caporegime

Thats just normal, our first is the same. Playing along just isn't very stimulating.

Soldato
My 6 (almost ⁷) year old can be the same. Sometimes she'll play with toys, other times she'll just enjoy laying Infront of YouTube. I don't mind the rvso much as she watches a lot of naturey stuff. There's a guy she watches who's like the reincarnation of Steve Irwin, called coyote wild, and she likes watching something called snake disciervy which is quite education. Also I treated the kids to some cool 3d printed things.

y4mY3_0blF5ymWxzdlA31n3y0ZS47DXbLTP15VWICK-SG2_FS5HHy9hpsZO6rSS096FeJOswPggwFxjZtY9nWW89ymbfHuXYb4VUx0Rhh7du0k7AtptCaXDeO-TbBpL66e1N0LrH2z2qw-xTLg9QrV09IL9S9hufh8k1HwrRv5iSh2ogf3418aPSFsKmp_9iPXT

y4mY3_0blF5ymWxzdlA31n3y0ZS47DXbLTP15VWICK-SG2_FS5HHy9hpsZO6rSS096FeJOswPggwFxjZtY9nWW89ymbfHuXYb4VUx0Rhh7du0k7AtptCaXDeO-TbBpL66e1N0LrH2z2qw-xTLg9QrV09IL9S9hufh8k1HwrRv5iSh2ogf3418aPSFsKmp_9iPXT

s!AjYR6IkxRdDEgb1OT-roqBmFIi9v2w

Soldato
We're in an older community so getting decent second-hand kid stuff requires miracles :(
We're 5 miles out of city here, so kinda expected to travel in/out for anything like a bargain! ;)

3 year old can be a bit like that, usually when tired. Mine just usually needs some stimulation, otherwise all he seems to want is the telly!

YouTube. I don't mind the rvso much as she watches a lot of naturey stuff. There's a guy she watches who's like the reincarnation of Steve Irwin, called coyote wild, and she likes watching something called snake disciervy which is quite education.
s!AjYR6IkxRdDEgb1OT-roqBmFIi9v2w
One of the things mine ended up watching (came from watching hot wheels monster trucks) was 'The Axel Show' and the same family do a several channels called stuff like 'Adventure Agents' and 'South House TV'. Lots of the content inspired mine (he was only 2.5 at the time) to want to go outside and explore looking for things. Treasure maps where drawn and many 'using my imagination' sticks and cardboard forts and such where made. It did highlight to us as busy parents how sticking your kid infront of the right TV shows could really push their boundaries for other play. He's changed a bit more from that and doesn't really watch/request it now, but quite often you'll hear him (saying!) 'using his imagination' when doing/playing with things.

One to watch out for was 'Justin Rhodes' or a similar name. Several good shows about kids playing on farms and on machinery, but one day I left the channel playing and walking back in the room to them about to butcher turkeys with a large knife... A bit much for a 2.5 year old! :o :rolleyes:

Soldato
Feeling massively proud of my youngest at the moment. He's 22 month old and decided by himself that he wants to potty train.

We'd bought his potty a while ago but just stored in a cupboard till we intended to introduce him to it. A couple of weeks we were clearing space to hide the gifts and we left it out. He started sitting on it and doing his business in his nappy and more recently won't sit until we remove his nappy pants. He then goes and is really content with himself. He's even seemingly expresses a preference to use the toilet over the potty (His older sister (4) has a stepped toilet seat). We still get wet pants first thing and just after naps but at this stage we're pretty happy with that.

Anyone else's child developed similarly early? We were told by 'the experts' that boys tend to be difficult and learn to toilet later than girls however my daughter didn't start till 2.5yrs.

Soldato
Feeling massively proud of my youngest at the moment. He's 22 month old and decided by himself that he wants to potty train.

We'd bought his potty a while ago but just stored in a cupboard till we intended to introduce him to it. A couple of weeks we were clearing space to hide the gifts and we left it out. He started sitting on it and doing his business in his nappy and more recently won't sit until we remove his nappy pants. He then goes and is really content with himself. He's even seemingly expresses a preference to use the toilet over the potty (His older sister (4) has a stepped toilet seat). We still get wet pants first thing and just after naps but at this stage we're pretty happy with that.

Anyone else's child developed similarly early? We were told by 'the experts' that boys tend to be difficult and learn to toilet later than girls however my daughter didn't start till 2.5yrs.
My son is potty trained but probably only started early this year so ~3.5 years old, one of my work mates sin is fully trained (ours still wears a happy on a night) and he was 3 in June, however is an only child so probably had more time to spend with him.

Edit oh yea the naps where fun just after he was trained, he'd be fine for about 5 mins then wet himself:p.

Associate
Managed to wean our 3y 4 month old off dummies by suggesting he donated them to babies in exchange for Santa bringing him Christmas presents. Appears to have gone without a hitch.

He is pretty adorable and, apart from a few small issues, has settled in to his new family really well. To normalise things, we have got him to adopt a couple of stuffed dinosaurs and he is now their daddy and he needs to look after them. Unfortunately, it has backfired somewhat as he now insists on feeding them at meal times, making it a lengthier process :rolleyes:

Furthermore, he also insists on taking them in the car and buckling them in to a seat, making sure they are safe.

I'm taking him to drop a present at his foster parents tomorrow (Covid rules observed and so on) and wondering what his reaction will be. He knows he is going, but seeing them may trigger some feelings of loss and possibly rejection. However, it's not something we can brush under the carpet. I hate seeing him unhappy and distressed.

First Christmas with a child should be fun, as I previously disliked the whole messing around. This year is pretty different!

Last edited:
Soldato
@simpletom personally I can't wait to start the whole adoption process for a little one, I get really excited to see my niece and nephew.

Regarding the dummy I had a colleague where he was trying to wean his son. They came up with a story about when a boy becomes too old the dummy starts to taste funny. They would dip the dummy into mustard powder, mixed herbs etc upping the strength and the mount of times they would do it. Eventually the son went to his dad and mum and said he thought he was now too old for the it and should give it up, I thought it was great!

I hope every goes well tomorrow.

Soldato
Or just don't bother with a dummy:confused:. We purposefully didn't bother with either of ours as we figured it was easier long term, just have to put up with a bit of teething and lots of soggy toys:D.

Permabanned
We used a dummy with our first because we read articles on reduced risk of SIDS and while there is definitely a link it's not worth the aggro it brings constantly fussing when it falls out, searching around for it in a blind tired panic at night and then getting them off the bloody thing. Our second has been fine without ever having a dummy.

Soldato
Or just don't bother with a dummy:confused:. We purposefully didn't bother with either of ours as we figured it was easier long term, just have to put up with a bit of teething and lots of soggy toys:D.
We don't like the idea of dummies, only reason George had one was because SALT said it would encourage his Suck and swallow.
Took them off him as soon as we could and it was really easy. Just binned them all he cried for about 5 mins and that was it.
The next one won't be having them at all, due in 4 weeks or less, so not long to go.

Associate
Taking all your dummy comments onboard right now! My 5 month old son has a few but we're slowly taking them away and out of his routine. Figured it's best to get it out the way while he's young. He's teething too so might be a bit trickier!

Soldato
We don't like the idea of dummies, only reason George had one was because SALT said it would encourage his Suck and swallow.
Took them off him as soon as we could and it was really easy. Just binned them all he cried for about 5 mins and that was it.
The next one won't be having them at all, due in 4 weeks or less, so not long to go.
Who or what is salt?

Back
Top Bottom