OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
They weren't happy with the wife's scan on Monday so she's booked in to be induced on Thursday as a precaution.
My heart sank when she told me but she's so far along I think it is just a precaution. Though they did say if your waters go treat it as an emergency.
So fingers crossed, I certainly couldn't do a repeat of George.

Soldato
They weren't happy with the wife's scan on Monday so she's booked in to be induced on Thursday as a precaution.
My heart sank when she told me but she's so far along I think it is just a precaution. Though they did say if your waters go treat it as an emergency.
So fingers crossed, I certainly couldn't do a repeat of George.
How many weeks is she? Fingers crossed it goes well for you all

Soldato
We had inductions both times for ours, no reason to be worried at all if she's 38 weeks. Time to get them out at that point really, the remaining 2-4 weeks they might have stayed in is just awkward and nervous anyway. Good luck.

Caporegime
Had our first on 21st December and at just over 2 weeks old he's started to spew up milk after most feeds (breastfed) and now wants to be fed ever hour and a half to two hours. Driving us nuts as whilst I'm not the one breast feeding my Mrs is so wiped out I have to change nappies before the feeds and most other times. Start back to work on Thursday so thats going to be fun :( at least wfh so should be able to help a bit.

Ours is still on 2hrly feeds at night at 10 months :D

Soldato
Ours is still on 2hrly feeds at night at 10 months :D
Forgot to say our boy had a tongue tie too (like his dad, although mine was never cut) and we went private and got it cut this morning. Will see how the feeds are now but he went on straight away in the clinic and was 100 times more settled so fingers crossed that's alleviated the problem somewhat.

Caporegime
Forgot to say our boy had a tongue tie too (like his dad, although mine was never cut) and we went private and got it cut this morning. Will see how the feeds are now but he went on straight away in the clinic and was 100 times more settled so fingers crossed that's alleviated the problem somewhat.

Be interested to see what you think. I'm a paediatrician and biased but the evidence is tongue tie snipping is essentially a load of nonsense perpetuated by midwives and lactation consultants. I lump it in with other sham nonsense like cranio-sacral osteopathy.

It's a very easy sell to desperate, tired parents. Recently there's been a move to diagnosing "posterior tongue ties" in completely normal babies (your tongue is meant to be attached somehow!) and doing a redo tongue tie division (paid for obviously).

Last edited:
Soldato
Be interested to see what you think. I'm a paediatrician and biased but the evidence is tongue tie snipping is essentially a load of nonsense perpetuated by midwives and lactation consultants. I lump it in with other sham nonsense like cranio-sacral osteopathy.

It's a very easy sell to desperate, tired parents. Recently there's been a move to diagnosing "posterior tongue ties" in completely normal babies (your tongue is meant to be attached somehow!) and doing a redo tongue tie division (paid for obviously).
This is interesting and the only time I've ever heard that view. There was a noticeable instant reduction on time to latch and air taken in when he was initially feeding after, but obv only one feed. Personally I was breastfed and have what would be described as a 100% tongue tie (same as my son) and the biggest negative to me now is not being able to stick my tongue out or lick the front of my teeth - worth getting it snipped for that alone. I joke that no girls have ever complained which is true too.

Hoping the feeding does improve though and can see why it would by visible difference.

Caporegime
This is interesting and the only time I've ever heard that view. There was a noticeable instant reduction on time to latch and air taken in when he was initially feeding after, but obv only one feed. Personally I was breastfed and have what would be described as a 100% tongue tie (same as my son) and the biggest negative to me now is not being able to stick my tongue out or lick the front of my teeth - worth getting it snipped for that alone. I joke that no girls have ever complained which is true too.

Hoping the feeding does improve though and can see why it would by visible difference.

NICE have looked into it and found little to support it:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg149

Breast fed babies that are actually struggling with breast feeding are the only group it may be beneficial too. The trouble we have locally is the midwives like to snip tongue ties on day one or two and everyone struggles with breast feeding in the first days.

Soldato
NICE have looked into it and found little to support it:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg149

Breast fed babies that are actually struggling with breast feeding are the only group it may be beneficial too. The trouble we have locally is the midwives like to snip tongue ties on day one or two and everyone struggles with breast feeding in the first days.

Read through that thanks. Based on it and the fact he was appearing on struggle and the extent of the tongue tie, full length of tongue, I believe we made a fair decision for him. It will be interesting to see if there is an actual or perceived improvement.

My disclaimer is that I have no prior experience with breastfeeding babies (nor does my wife who is doing it). But I'm always interested in the facts/science as well as experience and opinions so I genuinely appreciate your post.

Man of Honour
Anyone had experience of being frequently attacked by their child? My son who is 7 has had issues for quite a while in terms of being really naughty at bedtime, I wrote about this earlier in the thread in 2018 and 2019: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/32924279
However in the past couple of months, I would say roughly since schools came back after summer he has started to become angry at other points in the day. This is more of a problem now because since I posted last time we've had a baby who is now a toddler so we can't afford for him to be 'silly' around them (pulling on them saying <name> likes it look he's laughing! when trying to put baby to sleep etc). If you want him to do something he doesn't want to do he'll get increasingly angry and has now starting hitting me (and occasionally his mother).

Today was first day of home schooling without his mother (who was at work) and it was OK initially with us doing some study in the morning but it descended into chaos with me getting attacked because I wouldn't let him have any sweets until he'd done more study. He then attacked me again in the afternoon and again this evening after my wife got home. I don't really know how to deal with this, it's happened maybe half a dozen times before but usually has ended pretty quickly but this has been more of a sustained battle lasting say 5-10mins at a time. Obviously as he's 7 he can only hit my body rather than face and not hard enough to do any serious damage but nevertheless I'm obviously forced to parry his blows, push him away, drag him up to his room for timeout etc and I really don't want to be fighting with him. Today was also the first time where it gave me a horrible feeling of unease where I didn't want to turn my back on him, or if he made a sudden movement I'd instantly brace, which really isn't a great position to be in with your child.

I still think as I did when I posted in 2018 that this is some sort of issue with expressing his emotions, my worry is what was once him needing to get told off to generate an emotional release (where we sometimes get him to open up on what he's worried about) is now rapidly descending into a cycle of him needing to get in fights until he can break down and cry. The root causes I seem to be some fears about school and his perceived lack of parental attention (due to the 1yo taking priority in some circumstances, and my wife who works for NHS having to go out to work) but even when we specifically make a fuss of him and take time out to do activities just with him having undivided attention like bike riding, cake baking etc it still doesn't seem to solve the problem. I also implemented a thing called 'talk time' where it's a code-word that means you have to stop what you are doing and give attention to talk about something which seemed to help a bit initially but no more.

I'll be honest I think we are really struggling at the moment what with the lockdown and bedtimes frequently taking 90mins+, you just feel exhausted or resentful, typically it takes to 21:30-22:00 to get eldest to sleep (and this is a mission at least 5 night out of 7, it's not a nice pleasant read a book and turn off the light, it's either trying to peel him off the ceiling or stop him from hurting people) and then you have to burn the candle to do any leisure activities late at night before getting working up early either by a toddler or an alarm to go to work. We live in a terraced house and I dread to think what the neighbours think of our daily screaming matches.

Obviously I'm worried about where this road will lead, it seems to be escalating so how long before he starts using dangerous objects to attack with, or starts attacking his brother.

edit: reading my original posts again it's all a bit depressing, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. He was better at going to bed when he was aged 3 than aged 7!

Last edited:
Associate
@HangTime that is a really tough position to be in and I really feel for you.

Have you noticed any patterns in the behaviour? We found that our sons behaviour/emotions become worse on the build up to something, i.e. the weeks leading up to summer holidays/xmas/birthday etc and once the event is there is seems to ease off an he becomes happier (less emotionally).

I have also found that removing myself from the situation/room for 5 mins to calm myself down before going back in helps but I know this is not always possible.

Sorry I cant add anything to help but your post resonated to me as certain parts I can related to a lot and know how tough it can be.

Associate
Anyone had experience of being frequently attacked by their child? My son who is 7 has had issues for quite a while in terms of being really naughty at bedtime, I wrote about this earlier in the thread in 2018 and 2019: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/32924279
However in the past couple of months, I would say roughly since schools came back after summer he has started to become angry at other points in the day. This is more of a problem now because since I posted last time we've had a baby who is now a toddler so we can't afford for him to be 'silly' around them (pulling on them saying <name> likes it look he's laughing! when trying to put baby to sleep etc). If you want him to do something he doesn't want to do he'll get increasingly angry and has now starting hitting me (and occasionally his mother).

Today was first day of home schooling without his mother (who was at work) and it was OK initially with us doing some study in the morning but it descended into chaos with me getting attacked because I wouldn't let him have any sweets until he'd done more study. He then attacked me again in the afternoon and again this evening after my wife got home. I don't really know how to deal with this, it's happened maybe half a dozen times before but usually has ended pretty quickly but this has been more of a sustained battle lasting say 5-10mins at a time. Obviously as he's 7 he can only hit my body rather than face and not hard enough to do any serious damage but nevertheless I'm obviously forced to parry his blows, push him away, drag him up to his room for timeout etc and I really don't want to be fighting with him. Today was also the first time where it gave me a horrible feeling of unease where I didn't want to turn my back on him, or if he made a sudden movement I'd instantly brace, which really isn't a great position to be in with your child.

I still think as I did when I posted in 2018 that this is some sort of issue with expressing his emotions, my worry is what was once him needing to get told off to generate an emotional release (where we sometimes get him to open up on what he's worried about) is now rapidly descending into a cycle of him needing to get in fights until he can break down and cry. The root causes I seem to be some fears about school and his perceived lack of parental attention (due to the 1yo taking priority in some circumstances, and my wife who works for NHS having to go out to work) but even when we specifically make a fuss of him and take time out to do activities just with him having undivided attention like bike riding, cake baking etc it still doesn't seem to solve the problem. I also implemented a thing called 'talk time' where it's a code-word that means you have to stop what you are doing and give attention to talk about something which seemed to help a bit initially but no more.

I'll be honest I think we are really struggling at the moment what with the lockdown and bedtimes frequently taking 90mins+, you just feel exhausted or resentful, typically it takes to 21:30-22:00 to get eldest to sleep (and this is a mission at least 5 night out of 7, it's not a nice pleasant read a book and turn off the light, it's either trying to peel him off the ceiling or stop him from hurting people) and then you have to burn the candle to do any leisure activities late at night before getting working up early either by a toddler or an alarm to go to work. We live in a terraced house and I dread to think what the neighbours think of our daily screaming matches.

Obviously I'm worried about where this road will lead, it seems to be escalating so how long before he starts using dangerous objects to attack with, or starts attacking his brother.

edit: reading my original posts again it's all a bit depressing, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. He was better at going to bed when he was aged 3 than aged 7!

Hmm I feel you pain. My son is 8 and aggressive both verbally and physically towards both of us but more so to his mother. I have tried both the hard "manly" approach and both the soft talking approach but nothing seems to work. It causes extreme strain on mine and my wifes relationship to the point where things dont look good.

He also had terrible problems getting and staying to sleep from when he was born - to be fair this isnt so bad know but he does wake up often at night and refuses to go back to bed which causes all kind of problems. My wife insists that he goes back to bed but it ends up in a huge fight between them both and no one sleeps. I then get blamed for not doing anything or doign too much so I kind if gave up a long time ago. The solution is in these cases just to let him sleep with us but my wifes stubborn!

Anyway we beleive our son has some development issues which cause this behaviour. We are trying to address this with the school and the GP but its a slow process but it may be worth you speaking to your SENCO lead at school. I am actaully reaching the point where I want to see if you can pay for intervention and it has a destructive effect on us.

Other than that we have found consistency of routine is key for sleep at least - it doesnt always help with behaviour mind. So we have a set routine at night which we try not to deviate from. No screen from 7 etc etc.

Regarding managing his behaviour when he is aggressive: in my head and what would have happened to me when I was a kid would have been a good thrashing and probably being locked in my room for the day - but apparently we cant do that anymore (Which I think is half the problem). So as hard as it his when he is aggressive you need to try and stay as passive as possible, protect yourself and your family for sure from the blows but try not to show aggression yourself. If you can move him to a safe space - doesnt work for us as he cant stand being on his own but it may work for you. All this is easier said than done and if you fail (and you will) and get cross or give him a clip around the head dont worry, dont beat yourself up and try again next time!

But try the SENCO a lot of what they try and do is talk about emotions with your child - at worse you have nothing to lose and it does and can open the door to further assistance.

Good luck!

Soldato
Well sat in hospital waiting for things to move along. Why are the chairs so damn uncomfortable.

Could be worse - when my wife was induced back in August I was only allowed to be there for 1 (specific) hour per day, and it took almost 3 or 4 days because for whatever reason things didn't get moving along as quickly as they hoped. Once you're in you can't leave without signing a waiver against medical advice, she was only expecting to be in a day or so and was very upset :(

Soldato
Could be worse - when my wife was induced back in August I was only allowed to be there for 1 (specific) hour per day, and it took almost 3 or 4 days because for whatever reason things didn't get moving along as quickly as they hoped. Once you're in you can't leave without signing a waiver against medical advice, she was only expecting to be in a day or so and was very upset :(
My wife was in for a week with our last one because she had transverse lie so had to be induced, yet they didn't have enough staff to do it. So she was high risk enough she couldn't go home, but not high risk enough for them to actually make anything happen. Completely maddening. So she just stayed on the maternity ward for a whole week while I could only visit for around 1.5 hours a day, with toddler at home while I was trying to work too.

He was mobile so at certain times he was in the right position but when you induce it can take a while to get going, so risk of breach was quite high. So ended up with a c-section, which wife didn't want but was the least risky option and it at least got the job done.

Soldato
Anyone had experience of being frequently attacked by their child?
He was better at going to bed when he was aged 3 than aged 7!
I would comment that 10pm is just too late for a child of that age to be going to bed, that doesn't give him enough time for the advised 10 hours minimum sleep a night assuming he's waking up at 7/8am.

You have to get on his level though, ask him whats the matter. Have to try and talk it through. Crap like the 'naughty step' despite what tv shows may have taught in the 00s have been extensively proven to be awful ways of discipline.

Often it can be simple issues, lack of affection (common if you have a younger kid), limited sleep (clearly evident here), too much screen time. But work towards prevention rather than esculation/discipline.

Man of Honour
The problem is bedtimes just take so long, say we start at 19:30 and he's asleep at 21:00 that's a result. He rarely likes to go to sleep in his own bed, we've done all the no screen time after x o'clock, bath before bed, storytime etc etc but he'll just come up with excuses like needing a drink, also my wife doesn't have the patience to wait stood up next to his bed for an hour, if you leave the room he'll just come and find us. I'd say he's not been consistently good with bedtimes since around 2016. In some ways we made a rod for our own back, there was period where routines got broken up, saying away from home a fair bit and he sort of fell into the habit of going to sleep in our bed.

@HangTimeHave you noticed any patterns in the behaviour? We found that our sons behaviour/emotions become worse on the build up to something, i.e. the weeks leading up to summer holidays/xmas/birthday etc and once the event is there is seems to ease off an he becomes happier (less emotionally).

I have also found that removing myself from the situation/room for 5 mins to calm myself down before going back in helps but I know this is not always possible

Yes it's usually something like coming to the end of holidays and having to go back to school that worries him, he generally doesn't like school for couple of reasons (softcore bullying, youngest boy in his year so struggles with the learning at times, people not laughing at his jokes etc). His mum has also recently changed working patterns from 3 days a week to 4 and he's missing her it seems. But it's also quite inconsistent, sometimes we can have a nice day, lots of attention, generally following routine and he'll fly off the handle. There might be another time where he'll have screentime later into the evening and just go to sleep nicely.

One of the things I struggle with is his lack of appreciation of consequences, I mean say we are planning a day out somewhere he wants to go (theme park or whatever), and his behaviour is bad, sometimes we'll say something you need to stop being silly or we won't go to the theme park. Or conversely rather than taking something away for bad behaviour we will offer a reward for good behaviour. I don't understand why he keeps misbehaving and then missing out on something he wants. When I was a kid that sort of thing would work, you get an ultimatum and then it's a very easy logical decision, is the outcome of the ultimatum better or worse than the pleasure I get from misbehaving. Why does sitting up in the bed, smothering his face with a duvet or something appeal in the first place never mind the consequences; he can't explain why he does it other than "my brain makes me do it I can't control my brain"

Anyway we beleive our son has some development issues which cause this behaviour. We are trying to address this with the school and the GP but its a slow process but it may be worth you speaking to your SENCO lead at school. I am actaully reaching the point where I want to see if you can pay for intervention and it has a destructive effect on us.!
He was due to start ELSA this term but we were told it won't be run formally now we're in lockdown. It's difficult because I don't want to take the easy option of pigeon-holing him as having some sort of extra needs at the first sign of trouble "oh there must be some mental problem" but equally there seemingly don't seem to be many others behaving like this who don't have special needs. My sister had Aspergers but it wasn't diagnosed until she was in her 20s, I'm not saying he has ASD but the point being maybe I shouldn't be too 'stubborn' about persevering with a bad situation and end up finding out years down the line there was something that we could have done differently.

On a more positive note the last two days have been easier; I have a [faint] hope that Wednesday might just have been triggered by the somewhat alien environment of home schooling with me as teaching assistant.

Back
Top Bottom