OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
I could sleep for England, and I don't find it too much of a struggle. Granted ours haven't been awful, but you really do adjust.

Glad to hear, hopefully mine will be the same, fingers crossed and all that.
Got the first screening test back today as all clear after the 12 week scan so all good up to now.

Soldato
We have a lot of scalextric (mix of old and new) - my 6yo son loves it. Look into getting the magnetic cars, its near impossible to crash them even for him (except on crossover and chicane sections etc where he crashes into me!) They are pretty amazing compared with my old (1990s) cars which just fly off at every corner even at a quarter trigger - those things take skill to drive even as an adult :p
Tbh he's not too bad, as a child of the 80s I had scalextrix when I was a kid and my parents kept it. It's not aged well as the track had oxidised badly. This new stuff is much better.

Caporegime
Tbh he's not too bad, as a child of the 80s I had scalextrix when I was a kid and my parents kept it. It's not aged well as the track had oxidised badly. This new stuff is much better.

What's much better about it?

It was the first thing on my list of toys to buy but he's only 8 weeks old. I have a few years to collect a few sets. I'm thinking of James bond and batman and joker are a must. I hope there is a marvel set at some point. Trying to think of all the cool ones I would have wanted.

Soldato
What's much better about it?

It was the first thing on my list of toys to buy but he's only 8 weeks old. I have a few years to collect a few sets. I'm thinking of James bond and batman and joker are a must. I hope there is a marvel set at some point. Trying to think of all the cool ones I would have wanted.
My old stuff seems to have oxidised over the years so the contact isn't very good, this results in the cars stopping all the time (even with new brushes), the set I went for is 1:43, so the track doesn't take up too much space. I'm sure modern scaletrix is just as good, it's just my old set wasn't very good. My dad said he'll try to clean it, but I guess the track is chromed steel and it might be the chrome that's rubbed off which is allowing the metal underneath to oxidise, so him cleaning it will be temporary at best. My son does love batman, and they do a set but I don't think it's current which makes it expensive. This set was only 30 quid but is a figure of 8 so good to dip our toes in so to speak.

Caporegime
My old stuff seems to have oxidised over the years so the contact isn't very good, this results in the cars stopping all the time (even with new brushes), the set I went for is 1:43, so the track doesn't take up too much space. I'm sure modern scaletrix is just as good, it's just my old set wasn't very good. My dad said he'll try to clean it, but I guess the track is chromed steel and it might be the chrome that's rubbed off which is allowing the metal underneath to oxidise, so him cleaning it will be temporary at best. My son does love batman, and they do a set but I don't think it's current which makes it expensive. This set was only 30 quid but is a figure of 8 so good to dip our toes in so to speak.

Try vinegar and a toothbrush and see if that helps. It's what I used to clean the flash for the slr when the batteries leaked. Well I used a bottle brush as toothbrush couldn't reach.

Soldato
This is the sort of stuff that as a dad yourself it's time to learn!
I don't mind fixing stuff, but it's just not worth my time plus the cafrera set takes up less room. I think scaletrix do a smaller scale too. I haven't got time for that stuff, I'm doing 3/4 of a degree while working and have 2 young kids, and still other jobs to do around the house:p.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The old stuff is the same as the new stuff :) Just give the oxidation a light sanding with some P120 ish until its shiny again and use a screwdriver in the groove of any bent bits to straighten it all out (ours is a huge mix of stuff from me, my wifes brother, etc, it was the same after being stored since the 90s). I use the old stuff to make massive tracks (we made one about 40m long!) but with a new set connected too - the new controllers are better as is the wall power brick and power base section etc.

Soldato
The old stuff is the same as the new stuff :) Just give the oxidation a light sanding with some P120 ish until its shiny again and use a screwdriver in the groove of any bent bits to straighten it all out (ours is a huge mix of stuff from me, my wifes brother, etc, it was the same after being stored since the 90s). I use the old stuff to make massive tracks (we made one about 40m long!) but with a new set connected too - the new controllers are better as is the wall power brick and power base section etc.
Now you mention it, there was a lot of track bent into the slot and I've no idea how. My dad kept it in the loft for years, so maybe all that heat caused the track to buckle and expand. Me and the mrs have a bit of a standing joke though, as pretty much anything my parents give me is trash and doesn't last very long. I was tempted by a digital set as you can have 2 cars in the same lane which seems pretty cool, but then it starts getting expensive.
Also seeing as we now have a carrera go set, not sure it would be compatible.

Soldato
You've read a book?

Oh that's fine then! Forget everything I said! :D

Nah you'll be good mate, a lot of it comes as natural instinct, just don't get jealous when the wee one gets all the boob action!

Soldato
Enjoy it while she is little, at times you honestly will be beside yourself but wait till she is a toddler lol.

Congrats, she will delight you and annoy you with little in-between but she will completely melt your heart!

Soldato
Enjoy it while she is little, at times you honestly will be beside yourself but wait till she is a toddler lol.

Congrats, she will delight you and annoy you with little in-between but she will completely melt your heart!
You see I just don't feel like that with babies, I'm really indifferent with our latest. I just don't get on with the whole baby thing. I really hope as she grows over the coming months I feel different.

Soldato
Thank you!

I just keep telling my wife it’s okay I have read a book haha!!

Excited more than anything!

Best advice I can give - You will never ever regret time you spend with your kid/s so whenever the opportunity is there take it. At some point you will have changed your last nappy, thrown out the last dummy, read your last bedtime story, you won't even realise it at the time so be present as much as you can. Enjoy the good stuff it goes quickly, don't sweat the bad stuff as it goes quickly too.

Back
Top Bottom