OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Congrats Yaayuh!

Great news, congrats!

Thanks!

I’m emotionally and physically drained, it’s amazing what mothers go through so I’m keeping my mouth shut lol.

It’s certainly hard having a child in these COVID-19 times. My partner is on the ward and I can’t visit her and baby in neonatal and I can visit him once a day now but not at the same time as my partner...

Soldato
Thanks!

I’m emotionally and physically drained, it’s amazing what mothers go through so I’m keeping my mouth shut lol.

It’s certainly hard having a child in these COVID-19 times. My partner is on the ward and I can’t visit her and baby in neonatal and I can visit him once a day now but not at the same time as my partner...
Yeah it was very frustrating even without your added complications. Just make sure home is sorted for when they return... I did a bit of quick research on types of food/devices that aid healing and what not. There are some tablets that are often used that you can pick from the Pharma too - I forget their name, some purple coloured things.

Soldato
OP
Thanks!

Congrats dude! Let me tell you that that first couple weeks of graft are still paying for itself 5 years later as I regularly get my missus saying I was great when our daughter was born. Not that that should be your motivation obvs, but when you're absolutely knackered at some godawful time of night and crawl out of bed to sort your baby out for the third time, it's nice to know the recognition will come at some point!

Associate
I spent two days in hospital with my wife when we had our second nearly 12 weeks ago.

It's a new birthing unit where everyone gets their own rooms that they stay in for the whole process which might explain the difference?

Associate
We were very lucky in that our youngest was born in Feb last year, a matter of weeks before the first lockdown.

Yes it sucked that we couldn't go out and experience things we used to take for granted but on the flip side, I got to spend the first 4 / 5 months with her instead of the usual 2 weeks.

Soldato
Agree that has been the one real blessing of this whole thing - I got to look after my wife while we were expecting and now spend a lot more time with both her and my daughter than I ever would have been able to going to the office 5 days a week. Having lunch with them everyday, her bringing the baby in to see me in my office now and again for a little bit, getting to and from work without the extra time of a commute, it's all just been great :)

Associate
Agree that has been the one real blessing of this whole thing - I got to look after my wife while we were expecting and now spend a lot more time with both her and my daughter than I ever would have been able to going to the office 5 days a week. Having lunch with them everyday, her bringing the baby in to see me in my office now and again for a little bit, getting to and from work without the extra time of a commute, it's all just been great :)
100% this! 9 months old now but I love watching him totting about in his walker behind me while I'm working - noise cancelling headphones are a must though, and there are some days I just have to get to the office for certain projects that need my full attention. I've had more interaction with him in 9 months than I expect my own father had with me in 9 years!

Soldato

Thankfully this was a miscommunication at the time. Found out about an hour after posting this that I can see my son whenever I want for pretty much as long as I want, but only one of us at a time. So I’m visiting on and off, priority is mum for skin time and feeding.

I was able to visit my partner on the ward but had to book an hour slot. She’s home now but our son is in neonatal still being monitored, no incubator or CPAP required now though :). Hopefully come home soon once feeding is properly established.

Hard on mum though, being home without him but she’s so bloody strong, it’s incredible. She’s been expressing well periodically through the night.
We’re going in again soon and will spend the day in the hospital and come back home again later this evening.

Soldato
I let rip in my daughters room the other night, she told she was going to crack the window it was so bad. I felt quite proud of myself:cry:. My son also came out with a cracker at the weekend, "something smells monkey":D. What's peoples thoughts on giving a 7 year old a fitbit type watch? 2 of her friends have them and surprisingly they're allowed them at school.

Last edited:
Don
I let rip in my daughters room the other night, she told she was going to crack the window it was so bad. I felt quite proud of myself:cry:. My son also came out with a cracker at the weekend, "something smells monkey":D. What's peoples thoughts on giving a 7 year old a fitbit type watch? 2 of her friends have them and surprisingly they're allowed them at school.

Schools dont permit smart watches (due to "mobile" type functions) but fitbit style watches are fine. Both of mine had them from age 6 or 7, it's a great way to encourage them about learning to read the time.

Soldato
Schools dont permit smart watches (due to "mobile" type functions) but fitbit style watches are fine. Both of mine had them from age 6 or 7, it's a great way to encourage them about learning to read the time.
Sorry I thought fibit were smart watches, or is that just the 100 quid+ ones (in which case who is sending their child to school with one of those:confused:).

Don
Sorry I thought fibit were smart watches, or is that just the 100 quid+ ones (in which case who is sending their child to school with one of those:confused:).

Smart watches allow the sending and receiving of calls and messages, Fitbit style fitness trackers are only a screen usually, no speaker or microphone for calls / recording etc.

Soldato
Smart watches allow the sending and receiving of calls and messages, Fitbit style fitness trackers are only a screen usually, no speaker or microphone for calls / recording etc.
I did wonder, I've ordered the kids one each, for 25 quid I'm not expecting amazing but I'm sure they'll love the fitness tracking bit.

Soldato
Welp. Officially a father now, since 7:10am. That was unexpectedly quick. Got in at 4:30am just as a caution but he clearly had enough and wanted out.

Baby currently in neonatal on CPAP as he’s so early, just needs a little help but otherwise fine.

Congratulations! Do you feel prepared with it being sudden?

We are at 36 almost 37 weeks and after a routine check are not coming out of the hospital. Even though we have everything and what not just feel a little under prepared.

Soldato
Hi guys, I am just about to sign the contract for a child minder. Fees are £7/hour and contract is for 37 hours between 8am-5:15pm Mon-Thurs. I'm ok with this and it is "all inclusive" of the gear she needs any outings. However, it may as well be a PCP deal on a car... I have to pay even whilst they are on their 4 week holiday, and even if I give 4 weeks notice I get no adjustment to fees. Is this normal?
Any further thoughts on the above chaps? Need to sign the agreement tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom