OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
You do know the vaccine doesn't stop people from spreading it to others right?

It just makes their immune system stronger at fighting it to the point they don't develop the worst symptoms.
Yes I knew that but there’s evidence to suggest that viral loads are much lower in fully vaccinated individuals.

Caporegime
Yes I knew that but there’s evidence to suggest that viral loads are much lower in fully vaccinated individuals.

Okay. I only take the wee man out for walks if I can help it. The wife however just wants to take him everywhere and anywhere and I try my best to put to a stop to most things.

Whatever you do don't Google symptoms for babies or kids you will never leave the house again.

Nobody knows for sure how it effects kids and what long term issues there may be in years to come.

Like long Covid you just don't know there isn't enough info on it. I saw a kid on TV the other day on the news and apparently he's had issues with Covid for months on end now.

Basically you are taking a risk every time you expose them to someone else or within close proximity to someone else.

We will only know the answer to your question in several years probably a decade or two once it's ran through the population several times.

Personally I'd rather not take him anywhere and wife is complete opposite.

Associate
Okay. I only take the wee man out for walks if I can help it. The wife however just wants to take him everywhere and anywhere and I try my best to put to a stop to most things.

Whatever you do don't Google symptoms for babies or kids you will never leave the house again.

Nobody knows for sure how it effects kids and what long term issues there may be in years to come.

Like long Covid you just don't know there isn't enough info on it. I saw a kid on TV the other day on the news and apparently he's had issues with Covid for months on end now.

Basically you are taking a risk every time you expose them to someone else or within close proximity to someone else.

We will only know the answer to your question in several years probably a decade or two once it's ran through the population several times.

Personally I'd rather not take him anywhere and wife is complete opposite.

Thank you. These are the dilemmas I’m facing. I have read conflicting things such as babies not being hugely impacted by the actual infection due to less ACE cells but then again there’s long COVID.

It is so difficult not being able to get out and having to balance the COVID risks.

Caporegime
It is horrible. My daughter was out doing everything when she was a nipper. My boy will be two in September and still hasn't been to a swimming pool although he has been to the sea.

It's the social interaction that is the worst though. We meet with friends who have similar aged kids but we know the background with it all. I shouldn't really worry though as I had Covid last year and am pretty sure he had it too. Couldn't test children back then. The dog was licking him in the face from a very young age so his immune system should be quite strong anyway.

Permabanned
I mean, I think we do have an understanding about young children and covid, we would have seen numbers spike in those age groups.

I was a bit worried at first but the numbers aren't there to justify any irrational decisions that could impact them later on in life. So our two, 3 and 1 are both in Nursery a few times a week.

I could actually see evidence covid affected my eldest daughter socially from when covid first started. She even discovered a love for Dyson vacuums (like her father)

Each to their own but the insignificant death rate in young children should give some assurance.

Soldato
We have 3 boys 6, 3 and 1 year and I think I have mentioned before that the eldest has ADHD and ASD. He is under medication for his ADHD. He pretty much had trouble with sleeping since he was 3, getting up at night helping himself to food or drinks that were left out or in the fridge. He ran a bath one night when he was 3-4 years old. We were both sleeping and it was only a noise he made that woke us. Shook us both up it did. The thought of what could have happened....

Anyway this last 8 months or so he is a right pain to settle down at night. He will go to his room to play with lego around 6:30-7 and we tell him 8:00 is get into your bed and go to sleep time. From 8 right through till 10-11pm he is up and down stairs constantly. I am not exaggerating when I say he can be up and down 30-40 times in one evening. Its draining. We cant relax watching tv or eating tea. We have tea around 11pm some nights. Up and down is waking the other two lads. If the eldest is up during the night (which has reduced loads recently) he will be awake. ADHD is a ******* for that, once awake always awake full of energy etc. I will have to stay up so he wont do anything. Getting 4 hours sleep a night is a god send to me.

Theres been times he has got up and watched tv downstairs. I have caught him and also when I hear him come up stairs I will log onto the streaming services and youtube and check history. He has been up on many occasion 1am till 4/5am watching youtube stuff. Thankfully its mostly science stuff on the channel Kergustats or somthing.

fast forward to other day I rang his paediatrician and told her its getting worse and she did a prescrition for his normal medsa nd an extra batch of some melatonin tablets.. First one tonight at 6pm gone nite nite in 1 hour 15 minutes.... I know he will have medication all his life pretty much and its a shame but its best for him and us, plus his brothers.

fingers crossed they will help him out.. Anyone else with kids that has ADHD and/or ASD/?

Soldato
We have 3 boys 6, 3 and 1 year and I think I have mentioned before that the eldest has ADHD and ASD. He is under medication for his ADHD. He pretty much had trouble with sleeping since he was 3, getting up at night helping himself to food or drinks that were left out or in the fridge. He ran a bath one night when he was 3-4 years old. We were both sleeping and it was only a noise he made that woke us. Shook us both up it did. The thought of what could have happened....

Anyway this last 8 months or so he is a right pain to settle down at night. He will go to his room to play with lego around 6:30-7 and we tell him 8:00 is get into your bed and go to sleep time. From 8 right through till 10-11pm he is up and down stairs constantly. I am not exaggerating when I say he can be up and down 30-40 times in one evening. Its draining. We cant relax watching tv or eating tea. We have tea around 11pm some nights. Up and down is waking the other two lads. If the eldest is up during the night (which has reduced loads recently) he will be awake. ADHD is a ******* for that, once awake always awake full of energy etc. I will have to stay up so he wont do anything. Getting 4 hours sleep a night is a god send to me.

Theres been times he has got up and watched tv downstairs. I have caught him and also when I hear him come up stairs I will log onto the streaming services and youtube and check history. He has been up on many occasion 1am till 4/5am watching youtube stuff. Thankfully its mostly science stuff on the channel Kergustats or somthing.

fast forward to other day I rang his paediatrician and told her its getting worse and she did a prescrition for his normal medsa nd an extra batch of some melatonin tablets.. First one tonight at 6pm gone nite nite in 1 hour 15 minutes.... I know he will have medication all his life pretty much and its a shame but its best for him and us, plus his brothers.

fingers crossed they will help him out.. Anyone else with kids that has ADHD and/or ASD/?
How do you cope as a couple? As in, does it effect your relationship? It goes without saying that the majority of us (all of us) will love our children unconditionally, regardless of their specific challenges. The difficulty surely lies in how mum and dad cope together through it.

Best advice I can give you regarding Internet access is use something like this Deco Mesh WiFi system. You can administer your own network and assign specific devices their own protocol. For example, XXGb a day or no data after XXpm.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else with kids that has ADHD and/or ASD/?
Yep, both boys (7 and 3) have diagnoses of ASD. We had sleep issues with the eldest too, though once he's asleep thankfully he usually stays asleep. He still needs support to settle, one of us sits outside his room on the stairs. He'll come out a few times usually and takes maybe an hour and a half for him to fall asleep. Completely used to not having much of an evening.

We've worried about what he does when he wakes up too. We once bought a pressure sensitive mat - marketed at dementia patients - to put outside his door. It sounded a chime in our room when he left his room. Was fine when he was still in nappies but not great being woken every time he goes to the toilet, so we haven't used it recently.

Soldato

That sounds hard on everyone. We had a period of maybe a year where my son would come in our bed during the might, and he's a wriggle sleeper so I sympathise with the lack of sleep. I also enjoy the precious "me" time when kids are in bed so it must be a struggle. Hopefully new medication is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Soldato
George ended up in hospital with RSV again last week, really disappointed in the doctors phoned them and they said because the symptoms match Covid they wouldn't see him even though he was panting, disgusting behaviour of you ask me.
Went to A&E and they rushed him in so no waiting, put him on a drip fluids and antibiotics to be safe while they tested, his SATs dropped below 90 a few times so they put him on oxygen as well overnight. He came home the next day after he perked up.

Hospital have advised us that in future if this happens to start force feeding him sugar water to keep his energy up.

What's most annoying about the doctors is George has a "pop up" in place so he should get priority care but they must just ignore it when it suits.

Soldato
How do you cope as a couple? As in, does it effect your relationship? It goes without saying that the majority of us (all of us) will love our children unconditionally, regardless of their specific challenges. The difficulty surely lies in how mum and dad cope together through it.

Best advice I can give you regarding Internet access is use something like this Deco Mesh WiFi system. You can administer your own network and assign specific devices their own protocol. For example, XXGb a day or no data after XXpm.

As a couple we are pretty cool. It takes it's toll sometimes, especially if one or both of us are beyond tired/exhausted-arguments, wishing we didn't have kids that sort of thing. That's just us venting at each other. This happens rarely thank god. We do sometimes take it out on the eldest, shouting at him to go to bed, stop being silly, stop with the random outbursts of weird noises etc. we know this wont help one bit as he can't help what he does, whereas we can help how we deal with him.
We have made progress how to deal with how he works with help from various professionals, school have been amazing. Currently applying for an EHCP for him, school are applying for it and the SEN coordinator at school has close ties with the board.

About him get up and watching tv, youtube etc, we hide the remote controls at night. We have been doing that for a good few months. Heard him come down a few times at the start of us hiding them only to hear him go back to bed, so that works. So I don't think we need any measures to limit wifi etc. He no access to tablets or any tech as we think games consoles and tablets etc do more harm for him. The 3 year old he will be fie using them and limiting his usage with issue, but Harry (eldest), well that is a totally different ball game.

About his new sleeping pills, just over an hour for him to go to sleep last night after taking them and slept through till 6:30 so he had 11 hours sleep which is 3-4 hours more than normal. Only downside to that is he woke up full of beans and too alert for my liking at 6:30. All 3 kids were up at same time.. gonna be a looooonnnnng day/6weeks :p

Edit: Just to add. He only started is ADHD medication in January and school have noticed a big difference. He has had a few days where he kicked off over stuff in school. Then he started a medication about 2 months ago at lunch time which helped with those episodes. Since starting back at work earlier this year after lockdown, we both worked at Toby carvery in the kitchens, my wife was on maternity leave and she started working with the NHS before the reopening. I dropped my hours to suit us as she was doing 3-4 12 hour shifts so I worked most weekends. After a month we decided it was best for me to become the main carer so I quit. I am now a stay at home dad. We get all benefits we are entitled to including DLA for Harry. I do all school runs, house work, look after the baby, shopping etc. the good lady works and has a very good career prospect.

In the free time I have, I concentrate on board game design, and fingers crossed, starting up my own photography business.

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds hard on everyone. We had a period of maybe a year where my son would come in our bed during the might, and he's a wriggle sleeper so I sympathise with the lack of sleep. I also enjoy the precious "me" time when kids are in bed so it must be a struggle. Hopefully new medication is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Last night after the wife came home Harry was asleep, just the middle kid was awake. I made her tea, we chatted, watched a bit of Dexter (re-watching for the new series soon), we then went to bed at a decent time and got a good 6 hours sleep. It was loads better.

Soldato
George ended up in hospital with RSV again last week, really disappointed in the doctors phoned them and they said because the symptoms match Covid they wouldn't see him even though he was panting, disgusting behaviour of you ask me.
Went to A&E and they rushed him in so no waiting, put him on a drip fluids and antibiotics to be safe while they tested, his SATs dropped below 90 a few times so they put him on oxygen as well overnight. He came home the next day after he perked up.

Hospital have advised us that in future if this happens to start force feeding him sugar water to keep his energy up.

What's most annoying about the doctors is George has a "pop up" in place so he should get priority care but they must just ignore it when it suits.

I know how it feels, our baby has a skin condition, no idea what it is. Our first telephone appointment involved us sending some photos of him and doctors 'scribed us some lotions. Sort of worked but kept coming back. Called again, same thing. They are refusing to see him to actually see what his skin is like, photos don't cut it. Its frustrating. I had to take the 2 youngest in for their jabs last week. You ring the bell and give details from outside via a speaker thing and sanitise your hands before going in, mask on obviously. Only 8 chairs in there, 2m apart all facing one direction so no face to face patients. You sanitise before going into the doctors room. You dont actually touch ANYTHING apart from the front door which you sanitise after walking through and the chair possibly with your hands. There is no need to not see anyone especially children, covid symptoms or not. Also to add, I am petty sure once I left the waiting room to go into the doctors room, the receptionist sprayed what looked like a Dettol spray where we were sitting, so even then the area which was used gets cleaned immediately. I will assume she did the same thing when I left.

Soldato
I know how it feels, our baby has a skin condition, no idea what it is. Our first telephone appointment involved us sending some photos of him and doctors 'scribed us some lotions. Sort of worked but kept coming back. Called again, same thing. They are refusing to see him to actually see what his skin is like, photos don't cut it. Its frustrating. I had to take the 2 youngest in for their jabs last week. You ring the bell and give details from outside via a speaker thing and sanitise your hands before going in, mask on obviously. Only 8 chairs in there, 2m apart all facing one direction so no face to face patients. You sanitise before going into the doctors room. You dont actually touch ANYTHING apart from the front door which you sanitise after walking through and the chair possibly with your hands. There is no need to not see anyone especially children, covid symptoms or not. Also to add, I am petty sure once I left the waiting room to go into the doctors room, the receptionist sprayed what looked like a Dettol spray where we were sitting, so even then the area which was used gets cleaned immediately. I will assume she did the same thing when I left.

I mean if you have COVID symptoms they should refuse to see you. They can diagnose a skin condition from pics tbf…what creams have they given you?

Cetreben is what my daughter has and it works.

Soldato
I mean if you have COVID symptoms they should refuse to see you. They can diagnose a skin condition from pics tbf…what creams have they given you?

Well they said the skin condition was a fungal infection of sorts, which looks like eczema, which in turn looks like milk allergy (a freinds boy had milk allergy and its the same) which also looks like another condition I forgot the name of. I havent got the creams to hand but ones a steroid cream. I called recently and mentioned milk allergy just to be brushed off with no its not.

Soldato

They really shouldn't refuse to see children, especially ones with a pop up.

Caporegime

This is pretty standard at the moment. Hospital is bearing the brunt of all the stuff the GPs won't see and a normally quite chilled time of year is turning into a nightmare.

Primary care needs to grow up, they're all fully vaccinated and the risk is minimal yet the refusal to see anything "red" means that kids aren't seen at all.

Soldato
This is pretty standard at the moment. Hospital is bearing the brunt of all the stuff the GPs won't see and a normally quite chilled time of year is turning into a nightmare.

Primary care needs to grow up, they're all fully vaccinated and the risk is minimal yet the refusal to see anything "red" means that kids aren't seen at all.
They'll get a telling off soon as the wife updated his key worker and she wasn't best pleased.

Back
Top Bottom