OCUK Dictionary of Commonly Used Abbreviations & Acronyms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

Happy to hear the thread is being of some use.

I have just added or updated entries for:

GFX
Lapping
x64 (x86-64)
CUDA
PhysX
Eyefinity
Boot
I/O
PCH
UEFI
HD
cat5e
Chipset
DP
D-sub
Mini-DP
VGA

If you see an factual or spelling errors - please post here and I will correct them ASAP. Also, if you can word the definition better, then please post your version and I will most likely include it.

If you want to get a definition for something that hasn't been covered in the first post then please reply and mention it - we will try and give you a good definition and add it to the first post.

Also, if you know of something that is not mentioned on the first post, but does crop up a bit then please bring it to my attention. You don't need to provide the full definition, but it helps.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far :)

Last edited:
Associate
IDE - Internal Drive Electronics - Hard disk controller interface limited to 512MB hard disks.

EIDE- Enhanced Internal Drive Electronics - Hard disk controller interface exceeds 512MB limit of IDE.

PCMCIA- Personal Computer Memory Card International Association - Laptop expansion port, for add in components such as wi-fi or modems.

my personal favourite of all time.

EDO DRAM SIMM - Exdended Data Output Dynamic Random Access Memory Single inline memory module - Old type of 72pin RAM

Associate
DIMM?
SODIMM?
XDR?
PSU? (might have missed it sorry if its there already)

PSU is already there, but the others:

DIMM - Dual In-line Memory Module
SODIMM - Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module
XDR - Extreme Data Rate

Don't know if you want a small blurb for each, but I don't have time at the moment to write one, so if you do, I'll do it this afternoon, when I get back from work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom