OcUK Magazine

Soldato
SiriusB said:
I read CustomPC also. It's a good magazine and I learn much from it. Not sure why anyone would have anything against it tbh :confused:

SiriusB

... sighs relief :p

i like it too... i dont know why people would bash it. some people may.. i dunno :p

Soldato
Just use the internet for information at your fingertips. Why buy a magazine to read about something you can type into google and get instant information? Mind you.. i don't mind the odd magazine.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Hyper said:
Just been talking to my mate about this and thought I would post it up here.
I was saying, I am surprized that OcUK havent got a magazine of some sort to write reviews of new hardware etc in it and generally promote their shop. I know if the price was right I would buy it.

Have they ever considered it ?

Thanks, Sam
I wonder how many people would trust the independence and objectivity of a review from a company selling the product? I mean, they're hardly likely to point out the faults and conclude that the product their trying to sell you isn't worth the money, or is complete garbage, are they?

Also, producing a half-decent magazine isexpensive and would require dedicated, full-time experienced staff. Is it conceivable that OcUK could increae their sales sufficiently from such a magazine to cover the costs of producing it? Bear in mind that a large proportion of the costs of a magazine you buy in the high street are covered by advertising, not by the cover price. So, either OcUK would have to accept adverts from competitors (which I suspect is unlikely, to say the least), or they have to convince manufacturers to stump up large advertising budgets, and they'll only do that if readership figures justify it.

However attractive the idea might seem, I rather suspect it's a commercial total non-starter.

Associate
PC magazines dont make a heck of a lot of money anyway, the ones that are still around a basically full of ads and bundled with trialware because thats where they get the money

if ocuk produced the same it would be fairly pointless, wouldnt make commercial sense to print ads from other retailers, so it would be their products only, with the odd review.. so basically a catalog really, except it would be out of date as fast as its printed

OcUK have made good use of this new fangled 'internet' thingy... going to print is a step backwards.

Man of Honour
Thinking about this it could be a good business opportunity for SPIE with very little outlay as long as he gets the stuff back.
There are many experts on these forums that would love the opportunity to get their hands on the latest parts/gizmos etc and would love to write about them, do comparisons and not get paid. This info could all be sent to the Webmaster who could then put it as a part of OCUK website and an offshoot of the forums etc.

Permabanned
Bit of pants idea imo, the magazine would end up being biased, promoting and getting rid of kid they can't shift etc, sort of thing [insert competitor who owns a chain or shops and who mail bombs me stuff at work a lot] does and I find their stuff tacky.

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Permabanned
dmpoole said:
Thinking about this it could be a good business opportunity for SPIE with very little outlay as long as he gets the stuff back.
There are many experts on these forums that would love the opportunity to get their hands on the latest parts/gizmos etc and would love to write about them, do comparisons and not get paid. This info could all be sent to the Webmaster who could then put it as a part of OCUK website and an offshoot of the forums etc.
As a "User's Reviews" section of the website, the idea might have some legs, though I can foresee considerable administrative problems. But as originally suggested, in the form of a print magazine, it's a non-starter (in my view, obviously). Maybe Spie will decide differently ..... but I'm not holding my breath. :D

But even the website idea has an overhead, not least of which is the time and effort to design and install a site that minimises the administrative effort, and that implies some kind of CMS. Then, there's the cost of shipping gear to and from the reviewer, getting expensive clobber back from people reluctant to part with it, and the fact that the "review" process would have turned a brand new item into a used one that isn't sellable as new.

All that would obviously only be justified if it added to the bottom line, and what happens when the 'independent' user/reviewer slates an item? After all, either a review is fully impartial (and hopefully competent as well) or it isn't worth reading.

Back
Top Bottom