OcUK needs you @ Rosetta@Home

Associate
OP
Circlestorm are just about to re-overtake us. Can we add some more firepower? Remember it's a very worthwhile project.

Circlestorm.png

First number is total points. Second is daily production.

Soldato
Beggin' yer pardon verbal sah: I couldn't turn down the chance of picking up a few Astropulse WUs whilst they were (briefly) available, but unfortunately they've proven to be a bit more chewy than I thought they would be by taking 18+ hours to munch through. Once they've gone in the next day or so I'll be switching back to Rosetta, as I want to hit 100,000 anyway :)

Edit: [D'oh!]Right, where are the keys to spanky? Not long after posting the above it dawned on me that a crunch time of 18+ hours was a bit excessive; upon some fairly minor investigatory work it turned out that I hadn't installed the optimised AP app... Have rectified that and now have just one AP WU left to do, so will be with you all on Rosetta very shortly.[/D'oh!]

Last edited:
Associate
IS this project CPU only?

Is this like folding at home where you'll only get great results folding on Linux?

Is just one CPU decent? lol

I'm assuming theres something else I download to run seti on GPU (total DC noob here btw) although I'd like to get into this :)

Soldato

Is this like folding at home where you'll only get great results folding on Linux?

I'm assuming theres something else I download to run seti on GPU (total DC noob here btw) although I'd like to get into this :)

Lunawolfy,

Yep, Rosetta is CPU only.

Not sure about the Linux angle.

Yep, obviously the better the CPU, the better the results.

Nope, as long as your GPU is NVIDIA and CUDA capable it will be picked up. Read the stickies, there are ways to tweak Seti to run more than one WU on your GPU's and also look for the Lunatics Optimised App to speed things up a little.

Hope that helps, maybe someone more knowledgeable can add anything else useful to this for you. ;)

Soldato

1. Yes.

2. Not sure to be honest.

3. You can specify how long Rosetta WUs run for on your PC, with the amount of work done being completely dictated by your CPU; the faster your CPU, the more work (or decoys) is done per WU and the more credit you earn. Anyway, every little helps :)

4. As with Rosetta, you attach to SETI separately through BOINC manager; once attached, the appropriate apps are automatically downloaded. If BOINC finds a GPU it can use (nVidia for mainbeam tasks, ATI for Astropulse) it will also download the relevant GPU app. (There are optimised apps available that speed up processing times with SETI, but you need to install these manually.)

Ask if you need any help :)

Edit: Gah, beaten to it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
On the Rosetta site, go into your account. In there you should see a link saying 'Join Team' (or similar). Click that, type 'OcUK' in the relevant textbox and, once found, click on the team and click 'Join this team' (or similar).

Last edited:
Associate
Fixed it, I wasn't logged in on the rosetta site :)

Rig is now crunching away, got my first wee work unit, will apparently take 3h to do :p Name on there is same as here

Cores wernt running much more than 30% though :s

Soldato
Each Rosetta instance will use one core of your i5, so that figure you give is right. As soon as you have four WUs running at once each will use 25% of the CPU :)

Oh yes, nearly forgot; welcome to the team :)

Back
Top Bottom