OcUK needs you @ Rosetta@Home

Associate
Ah so whilst I'm crunching 1 I download number 2?

Does it preemptively download WU's ahead of itself, I'm assuming there's some result data I need to upload and I don't just end up with a single digit answer :p

Sorry I sound like nub of the year xD

Also how much HDD space does it need? I kinda selected my SSD and its only got like 3GB :(

Soldato
BOINC can hold a user-specified cache of tasks for each project you're attached to to allow you to continue to crunch through any downtime a project may have. This cache - measured in days - can be be changed by going into your account and editing the 'Computer is connected to the Internet about every' setting under Computing Preferences. I have this set to 4 days, which means that a project will download enough work to keep you going for 4 days without having to connect to the project.

As far as disk usage is concerned, there is another setting within Computer Preferences you can change to limit the amount of data (tasks) that can be downloaded. This is found under the 'Disk and memory usage' section. For Rosetta I currently have 35 tasks cached and a further four running which, when combined with the apps and other files Rosetta uses, is using ~820MB, though this will vary depending on the type and number of tasks you end up getting.

Soldato
Cores wernt running much more than 30% though :s

Under advanced>preferences and then processor usage tab look at the bottom.

Make sure 'On Multiprocessor systems, use at most' is set to 100%.

I've noticed Rosetta can take a few minutes to get fully up to 100% CPU usage on my box. So don't be alarmed if it doesn't shoot up to 100% right away.

Associate
Set my laptop Core i7 2670QM and my desktop Core i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz going. Will leave my GPU on folding for now. Laptop is reporting 4 hours per WU but it is doing 8 at once :)

Associate
Got my 2500K running and my i5 laptop. May even boot up the dual core athlon laptop :p

IS there cuda support in the works for this? I would be going a lot faster with it :/

Soldato
I don't think there are any plans for GPU apps in Rosetta unfortunately. In fact, from a search on the forums there:

They have already mentioned elsewhere that their current applications are not well designed for conversion to a GPU version - so many steps that must be run in a particular order, and not multiple steps at once, that running on a GPU could actually be slower than running on a CPU. The same problem also prevents getting much from conversion to a multi-threaded CPU version running on more than one CPU core at a time.

Source

Associate
Fixed it, I wasn't logged in on the rosetta site :)

Rig is now crunching away, got my first wee work unit, will apparently take 3h to do :p Name on there is same as here

Cores wernt running much more than 30% though :s

Mr Lunawolfy, are you sure you joined OcUkOK in that name?
Can't see you on the team list..
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team_display.php?teamid=431
or on this list of joiners..
http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/team-movements.php?project=rah&team=431

also can't find you in this search for any user..
http://boincstats.com/search/result.php
(though there are lunas and wolfys aplenty, but not combined.

Associate
Am I making decent progress at this malark?

I got my 2500K system and my gf's i5 lappy churning away a good few hours per day, although her laptop is about to go in for its 2nd purple shirt RMA :/

Associate
Here's a question for all you Rosetta crunchers: Does this project not like solid state disks?

I'm asking this because I have 4 machines crunching all running Windows 7 64 bit (bar one that is 32 bit). The E6600 and my core i5 520m both run mechanical hard drives but produce results without error. The i7 920 desktop is overclocked to 3.8Ghz but the i7 2670QM laptop only runs at stock, these both produce errors on every unit. The only 2 components that are remotely the same are the Core i7 CPU (ok, different generation, but both an i7) and the SSD as the primary drive.

Back
Top Bottom