OcUK Photo Comp - Season Nine : Round Six - "Complex" DISCUSSION

Associate
Great shot Mud! You've kind of pre-empted some elements of the shot I had in mind for this month (that'll teach me for waiting untill the last minute as usual :D).

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Thanks all, I was surprised how well that came together (and I now know better what to learn next in photoshop).

Great shot Mud! You've kind of pre-empted some elements of the shot I had in mind for this month (that'll teach me for waiting untill the last minute as usual :D).

You were going to use pig brains too? :eek:

Soldato
Although it's a good idea famas, and the fly looks great..

There is no EXIF Data that I can find, and also, has that spider been inserted from a previous shot?

I may be being silly though ;)

Soldato
ah, will have to write up the exif, was probably lost in combinez. cheers for heads up.

The spider isn't added in pp its in the shot but to make life easier for me I did use an old picture of mine, its hard enough trying to keep one insect still let alone two :)

I had a clump of moss on the table with two flash guns around it ready to place the fly on and get the shots. the picture of the spider was placed behind the moss upside down as reflections in water drops are always upside down so to get the spider the right way up I had to put him upside down so he was the right way up and not upside down :p

I had a syringe with glycerine set up ready for the large drop and a spray bottle for the smaller drops.

Whan all was ready I placed the fly in position, added the drop with the syringe, tiny spray from the water bottle then moved the upside down spider picture until it was positioned right in the drop.

rested the camera on the table and took lots of shots slowly moving it in so I could stack the shots later to gain more DOF.

Soldato
Your shot gave me an idea for a shot but it would probably be impossible for me to carry out...

A reflection of the fly in the spiders eyes :cool:. Not sure how it would be possible to achieve, but it would make a good shot imo. Would need to freeze both to get them to stay still :p

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Nope, I had some brain related ideas but I tried them today and they didn't turn out too well so I'll have a go at something different tommorow.

My brain pics were ridiculously pedestrian until I pushed the PP. I don't think there's much you can do with them (once they're outside the skull :p).

Soldato
Quick question, does this say complex to you and if so is it better than my current entry?

4736064544_4ccc1a72b0.jpg

Man of Honour
Sorry mate really didn't see your post and if you want to summit your idea as your entry then I will remove it. :)

Nah not at all, just thought it was inevitable! :p

I haven't had a clue what to do yet really, famas has set the bar pretty damn high for technique and execution!

Associate
Well I've just bunged in my jackdaw shot as I may not have time to do anything over the next few days. I'd like to think the bokeh of the plants around him lends the shot some semblance of complexity. :)

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Tweaked mine, I wasn't happy with a few things (particularly some strange lighting in the original brain shot which looked like poor photoshoppery). Retook the brain shot (image stack this time to make the transition cleaner), but in doing so lost some table texture, which I've added back in by taking a third image. I prefered the tones before, but the processing is better on this one...will see if I can get the best of both before the deadline!

Permabanned
Where did you get a brain from ? Shot made me feel a bit sick for some reason ?

Everyones work is really good this round except for mine haha, which was a star i shot at 300mm hand held with no VR for 15 second exposure. Went back down there night before last to do it again with the redsnapper tripod and ball head i bought but there werent any stars in the sky. Grrr

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Can't say exactly where I got it from, but I'm an academic and can source most things from 1 of a few universities ;)

I used to work at an abbatoir, could've had a cow's brain if I still did!

Visceral response, win!

Back
Top Bottom