OcUK please suggest a PRACTICAL gift for a friend (girl) whose going away to Africa to work

Soldato
A really awesome friend of mine has accepted a job in Kenya. Shes Spanish and really excited to go.

I will be :( when she goes.

Anyways *sniff* we are all giving her a big ol' sendoff this weekend. I wanna get her something. But it must be something she will actually use.

My first thought was...a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman. What do you lot think? Silly idea? Those things are handy right?

If you have any ideas then please suggest :D

Thanks!

Caporegime
Soldato
OP
Its with the UN, mostly office-based but I think she will be zipping about in SUVs to do the odd field-work thing too!

And :D @ the trademark OcUk replies....

But fer reals...help me out here people - I need to get this by Sat afternoon latest :eek:

Permabanned
Its with the UN, mostly office-based but I think she will be zipping about in SUVs to do the odd field-work thing too!

And :D @ the trademark OcUk replies....

But fer reals...help me out here people - I need to get this by Sat afternoon latest :eek:

My old man works for the UN in Africa, any chance you could let slip a little more detail?

Permabanned
Shortwave radio to pick up the BBC World Service, Africa has limited entertainment and news (even better, a windup version)

Wind up torch, batteries are not always available but power cuts are frequent.

Tinned butter or cheese - African versions are not the same.

Permabanned
You start craving all sorts of odd foods when you can't buy them any more,
their cows are different, so any dairy product tastes odd.
Actually their bread is pretty foul too.

Back
Top Bottom