OcUK please suggest a PRACTICAL gift for a friend (girl) whose going away to Africa to work

Soldato
That's all you get from this forum.

1369588464858.jpg

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Not when I went, unless whatever you were eating was all imported anyway. It doesn't sound like she's sitting in a hotel all day with all the other tourists.

I don't think being born there counts as tourism ;)
Honestly though, I don't know what was us with your visit but bread and dairy products in Africa taste pretty much exactly as you'd expect them to in all my experiences.

Permabanned
I don't think being born there counts as tourism ;)
Honestly though, I don't know what was us with your visit but bread and dairy products in Africa taste pretty much exactly as you'd expect them to in all my experiences.
Does it matter?
Whatever you ate was different, the bread had a unleaven taste and the butter was just odd. Canned butter was requested by two of the ex-pats I met so something was odd about it. Africa is a big place, you can't expect everything in it to taste exactly the same or even to taste normal to a European.
America can't even made edible chocolate.

Soldato
OP
My old man works for the UN in Africa, any chance you could let slip a little more detail?

I will try & find out more! Right now thats all I know. Its all happened really fast. Shes already out of her apartment and is homeless in the UK. Crashing from friend to friend ATM. Leaves next week.

Thanks for all the ideas! I will make a decision tomorrow. On my shortlist (in no particular order)

1. LED flashlight
2. Leatherman
3. Swiss Army knife
4. Hardened camera
5. Mosquito net <-- haha good one
6. Radio

And lol I knew the shag comments had to appear, wouldnt be GD without em :D

Soldato
I might be late to the party but may I suggest you buy her a vibrator?

Or perhaps some malaria and morning after pills combined into one super pill?

Seriously I'd buy her a torch and a mosquito net.

Soldato
She's going for an office job not on safari - I suggest chocolate, it's the only thing you can guarantee will be used. Most likely before the plane even lands :)

Permabanned
They used to advise you take some [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hypodermic needles, but then they also used to suggest ignoring any local medical help and just fly straight to Jo-berg.

How has she managed to get her yellow fever shots done so soon? It took me ages and even then you are supposed to have had them ten days before. I had to go to Manchester to get one injection done.
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom