1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OcUK Slot loading BD-ROM problem

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by plastik2k9, 11 Mar 2010.

1. plastik2k9

Associate

I recently bought the OcUK brushed aluminium slot loading Blu-Ray player from this site, and I've run into a few problems it seems.

Basically, the drive is recognised as a BDROM-400 by Windows 7 x64, and upon inserting a disk, it reads and plays without problems. If however, I remove the disk and insert it again, or insert another disk, the drive does not spin up and the system freezes for a good 20-40 seconds. Then, the drive disappears from Windows altogether, and isn't even listed in Device Manager. The disk at this point cannot be removed from the drive, and I'm forced to reboot.

The disk is now not recognised upon booting up. It seems that I cannot start the system with a disk inside or it will not be recognised. I can remove it, but if I insert it again we have the first problem again. Another strange problem is that Windows seems to refer to it as a 'BD-RE Drive', but it clearly is not a Blu-Ray writer.

Now interestingly, it works absolutely 100% fine in the latest release of Ubuntu 32-bit and can read all types of disk, and I can remove and insert them at will. It is completely recognised and is bootable from in the BIOS.

What on earth could be causing this? Does anyone else use the drive with Windows 7 64-bit? Is there a firmware update or alternative drivers I could use? I don't want to return it because I will use it in another system probably now and have ordered a branded drive for my own PC, but I would like to know what is causing this in the meantime for future reference, and perhaps for other people to be aware of the problem.

Thanks.

2. rhysduck

Soldato

Have you uninstalled the drivers from the Windows environment and reinstalled?
    Sounds like a dodgy driver issue.
    If not - Send OcUK a WebNote explaining. It's possible its a faulty drive :)

3. Invictus

Gangster

it is down to how windows treats the drive, not the drivers

4. SteveOBHave

Soldato

Odd that you mention this - mine has recently disappeared as well - I have exactly the same situation - W7 64Bit, slot loading BD drive... I figured that it might be some sort of an IRQ problem because I recently installed a PCIe Raid card but it was working fine for a bit and now when I start up with a disk in - nothing...

Not even showing up in Device Manager.

5. Kharbyne

Gangster

Very wierd, no firmware updates?

6. Wazz-rogers

Associate

yup im having the same problem! so sick of it im going to ask for a refund!

2 months iv put up with it, iv spend another £40 or so on powerdvd 9 ultra just to try and get it working, and it tells me i need an hdmi signal so i spend over £300 on a monitor, it finally seemed to be working but no im getting this problem again, were pdvd locks up then win 7 becomes unresponsive and then the drive disappears... got to be a win7 64 bit compatibility problem IMO !:?

is there no firmware or drivers out that mite fix this!?

7. bledd

Don

wazz, to get around the hdcp problem, you can just install anydvdhd, no need to buy a new screen

8. Wazz-rogers

Associate

thx but already bought it :D but i read about the anydvdhd on this forum somewere and it has got them working again for now!!:rolleyes:

9. matthab

Mobster

Never liked slot loading drives they tend to wear out to easily. Better emailing OCuk as it maybe a issue with the drive.

Sounds like something the drive does when it ejects a disc.

10. Wazz-rogers

Associate

ok iv had enough of this ****... its randomly no showing up in win7 or showing up and then disappearing (even though i havent use that drive 4 ages!!!).. and now that iv replaced it with a better drive iv noticed that my pc is starting faster and generally working better so theres something just not right about this drive and win7 64bit!!!!

11. Shakeel

Mobster

have you asked for a refund?

12. Wazz-rogers

Associate

not yet but i going to...

13. seabiscuit

OcUK Staff

Where we have had customers with similar problems with optical drives dissapearing from their system it has sometimes been down to a registry problem. Please look at the steps on this page to see if it matches the problem you are experiencing...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116/en-us

Best Regards

14. Helium_Junkie

Soldato

£100 for a lifetime licence for that! :O
    Daylight robbery even for a 2yr licence...

15. bledd

Don

Wow, didn't know the price had gone up that much, got mine for about £35 I think

16. Helium_Junkie

Soldato

Think I'd rather put the £100 toward a new monitor with this DHCP or whatever it is.
    if I did that, presumably all I'd need then would be powerdvd or something, and then could play blurays? Is there something else I need?

17. Wazz-rogers

Associate

is init just i just keep reloading to trial version, plus you think powerdvd9 ultra(which also bought to get this to work!!) would have something like that built in but no!!!