Oculus Quest 2 and Asus ROG II Hero G731G

Associate
Hello all,

I hope all is well and I have an Asus ROG II Hero G731G gaming laptop and am very keen to order the Oculus Quest 2 via this website. However, I am not too sure if my laptop can run VR systems and Asus were very kind as to send the following:

"Be advised that the Oculus Rift S requires DisplayPort or Mini-DisplayPort connection. You have one USB-C 3.1 with DisplayPort function, but it may not work with an adapter (DisplayPort to USB-C), as it is only USB 3.1 and not Thunderbolt. You can try a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and it may actually work, but needs to be tested to be sure."

And:

"Be advised that we cannot guarantee if it will work. In this situation we would suggest to contact Oculus support and ask if they would be compatible. You can inform them that you have a USB-C 3.1 with DP Alt-mode and they should be able to advise accordingly."

This all gobbledygook to me but does this sound as if the Oculus 2 might work on my laptop?

I have asked Oculus for advice and am awaiting to hear from them.

With very best wishes,

Jay

Soldato
Sounds like they're confused, and maybe you too?

Oculus Quest 2 is primarly a stand alone headset. So game you buy on it will be stored on it, and run on it, an all in one unit.

It can be connected to a computer if you want to play other VR games from other stores, often at a higher visual level, as most computers have more power.

They are talking about a Rift S, this does not apply to you. USB-C 3.1 is exactly what you need to link your Quest 2 to your laptop I believe. But I don't know if your laptop is good enough to run games.

EDIT - With a quick check, I'm fairly sure your laptop should be able to run the games too. So you could play with Oculus Quest as a standalone, or link to your computer.

Soldato
USB 3.1 is sufficient to be able to connect a Quest 2 to use Oculus Link, however be aware that the Quest 2 is effectively a 4k panel running at 90hz, so you may want to check the performance of a 2070 in the games you intend to play at this kind of resolution, you may be better off with most VR games to run them direct on the Quest2 itself

the quest 1 already suffers quite badly from compression artefacts and this currently will look even worse on the Quest 2 and only run at 72hz - oculus have said they intend to improve this but you may want to wait for them to actually do it before buying

Soldato
Quest 2 uses USB rather than displayport. A USB-C 3.1 port should work fine for Oculus link, but as always different USB chipsets perform differently, so the only way to find out for sure is to try it.

Do you know someone with an original Quest you can try using Oculus Link on?

Associate
OP
Many thanks for your support as I am very new to this. I used to play flight sims a lot and a pal uses VR for his and I am also tinkering with Star Wars: Squadrons. In essence, I have no knowledge of VR and want to make sure that my laptop will run games. Bit of a minefield for me and I appreciate the support as I had previously had a Track IR but really want to get into VR for simming as I have heard it is so fantastic. I have also heard that some gaming laptops have issues with VR headsets, hence my issue. Do you guys recommend the Oculus 2 or perhaps another set?

My laptop is a gaming rig and plays Hell Let Lose with all settings on ultra.

Appreciate the support. I am a VR noob.

Jay

Soldato
Many thanks for your support as I am very new to this. I used to play flight sims a lot and a pal uses VR for his and I am also tinkering with Star Wars: Squadrons. In essence, I have no knowledge of VR and want to make sure that my laptop will run games. Bit of a minefield for me and I appreciate the support as I had previously had a Track IR but really want to get into VR for simming as I have heard it is so fantastic. I have also heard that some gaming laptops have issues with VR headsets, hence my issue. Do you guys recommend the Oculus 2 or perhaps another set?

My laptop is a gaming rig and plays Hell Let Lose with all settings on ultra.

Appreciate the support. I am a VR noob.

Jay

Your laptop is 1080p, the headset you are looking at is 4K, big difference, I would wait for squadrons to be released to see what level of GPU you are going to need for 4K before committing to anything, a laptop may not cope unless you run on low settings

Soldato
Your laptop is 1080p, the headset you are looking at is 4K, big difference, I would wait for squadrons to be released to see what level of GPU you are going to need for 4K before committing to anything, a laptop may not cope unless you run on low settings

Run the SteamVR compatibility tool to find out if you can run VR at a decent framerate.

The main issue with gaming laptops and VR is that they either only support HDMI (Which only older headsets use) or the displayport connections don't always connect directly to the gaming GPU.

In the case of Oculus Quest 2 this is moot, because compressed video over USB is used instead of a displayport or HDMI connection.

Soldato
Run the SteamVR compatibility tool to find out if you can run VR at a decent framerate.

The main issue with gaming laptops and VR is that they either only support HDMI (Which only older headsets use) or the displayport connections don't always connect directly to the gaming GPU.

In the case of Oculus Quest 2 this is moot, because compressed video over USB is used instead of a displayport or HDMI connection.

The steam tool is based on VR games like beat saber, Pavlov etc. StarWars Squadrons is a full PC flat panel SIM game with tacked on VR support, it's not going to be as easy to run as the lightweight VR games - I have a 2080ti and even I'm concerned how much I'll have to turn settings down for 4K/90hz

Associate
OP
Okay, done the VR test.

It states VR ready and is performing well above what is needed for recommended, high-quality HR.

GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz (12 cores)

Does this work for me? Is there a VR set that you recommend? I am noob and am concerned with connection issues to the PC.

Cheers!

Jay

Soldato
Okay, done the VR test.

It states VR ready and is performing well above what is needed for recommended, high-quality HR.

GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz (12 cores)

Does this work for me? Is there a VR set that you recommend? I am noob and am concerned with connection issues to the PC.

Cheers!

Jay

Looks like the Steam VR test is only detecting your intel graphics chipset - the laptop has an Nvidia GPU I presume?

If it's the one I think then you should have no problem using the Quest 2 via a USB link cable, or wireless virtual desktop.

As this is a laptop you probably should stay away from the Valve Index, as that requires external lighthouses, and really requires a desktop GPU to get the best out of it, or the HP G2 which is again super high end, but at least it doesn't need external sensors.

The best options are the Quest 2, or the Rift S, though the Rift S is discontinued, so it probably boils down to the Quest 2.

Alternatively there will be a lot of second hand Quest 1 headsets flooding the market and they make a reasonably good PC VR headset if you can get one cheap.

Soldato
Thanks, Ravenger. My card is a GeForce RTX 2060. Does that makes sense?

So, the Quest 2 could be the one, no?

It's up to you which headset you get. :)

Most headsets should work with your laptop as it has a displayport. It's just a question of how much you want to spend really, and what features you want, but Quest 2 is looking like a good headset (provided you're OK with using a Facebook to use it).

Soldato
No. Steam games will be stored on your computer. Oculus quest games bought from the oculus store will be stored and handled completely by the headset, no computer required.

Soldato
Makes sense and thank you! And the cable has to be connected at all times when playing from Steam, right?

Yes.

However... There's software that can be bought on the oculus store that allows you to use your wifi to transmit your steam games instead. It's still being played on your computer, but the info is streamed through your network to the headset. People have differing levels of success with this but obviously gets you wire free again. The quest 2 has the wifi 6 which means it has the potential to do this really well.

If i get some games on steam I'm going to be trying this since my router and questplaying space is probably in my lounge, but my pc is in a separate office ( with an Ethernet cable straight to the router).

Back
Top Bottom