*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
I still don't understand why yours doesn't go up to 1.7x. Have installed a few Quest 2's now and on all of them it's 1.7x.

The Render resolution is not super sampling. For games, the render resolution is the starting point. So if you apply SS in games, it's applied to whatever Render Resolution you have selected.

As for 1.7x been the native resolution, one of the Oculus developers explained it. Lots of technobabble. But it's basically down the barrel distortion curvature of the Lenses and needing a higher resolution to counter act it. See here.

https://twitter.com/volgaksoy/status/1328145529042137088

jesus where was this link when I needed it earlier this week

Soldato
Cheers bud that clarifies things.
But I am still non the wiser why I am seeing 1.5x at the maximum res compared to others who are getting 1.7x but at the same res.
What defines this "1.X" multiplier exactly?

Also on another note, sometimes audio is coming out of my PC audio and sometimes out of Quest... is there anyway to default VR games to the Quest only?

Soldato
Cheers bud that clarifies things.
But I am still non the wiser why I am seeing 1.5x at the maximum res compared to others who are getting 1.7x but at the same res.
What defines this "1.X" multiplier exactly?

Also on another note, sometimes audio is coming out of my PC audio and sometimes out of Quest... is there anyway to default VR games to the Quest only?

I don't know what defines the 1.x. I just know that must setups go to 1.7. So I don't know what's happening with your setup.

Check in the settings on the Oculus App on the PC. In the devices section. You might have selected the "hear audio from my computer" by mistake?

Soldato
I don't know what defines the 1.x. I just know that must setups go to 1.7. So I don't know what's happening with your setup.

Check in the settings on the Oculus App on the PC. In the devices section. You might have selected the "hear audio from my computer" by mistake?

Thanks to everyone for your help.
There are some users who have reported similar i.e. 1.5 instead of 1.7.
But the res is the same... but they did say that it could be dependent on many factors.

Just 3 more questions if I may:

1. A bug bear is with the USB testing speed.
When I connect my cable to the front of my panel I get 2.8GBps.
But off the motherboard USB socket (which should be faster) I am getting 1.8/1.9GBps.

Any idea why this maybe?

2. What is this about the bitrate in the ODT program? What should I set this to?

3. What can I use to measure fps and performance in the Q2? when connected via link (not VD!).

Thank you folks.

Associate
But off the motherboard USB socket (which should be faster) I am getting 1.8/1.9GBps.

Any idea why this maybe?

The front panel connector on your board must be USB 3.1 gen 2 and your rear is 3.1 gen 1.

Won’t make any difference which you use as Link maxes out at 500 Mbps anyway.

Soldato
Thanks to everyone for your help.
There are some users who have reported similar i.e. 1.5 instead of 1.7.
But the res is the same... but they did say that it could be dependent on many factors.

Just 3 more questions if I may:

Any idea why this maybe?

2. What is this about the bitrate in the ODT program? What should I set this to?

3. What can I use to measure fps and performance in the Q2? when connected via link (not VD!).

Thank you folks.

Well, as long as the Resolution is the same, that's all that matters.

1. If you test the same port several times you will notice different results. At the speed of the port also depends on the controller. The better controller is usually faster.

2. In the Debug tool, the bitrate depends on your GPU. The developers say anything over 300 isn't really noticeable. So, start there and work your way down until to find a balance between performance and quality that you like.

3. There is a performance overlay in the Oculus Debug tool that you can enable. Or, some people here recommend a program called fpsVR. It's on Steam, but it costs a few quid.

Soldato
Well, as long as the Resolution is the same, that's all that matters.

1. If you test the same port several times you will notice different results. At the speed of the port also depends on the controller. The better controller is usually faster.

2. In the Debug tool, the bitrate depends on your GPU. The developers say anything over 300 isn't really noticeable. So, start there and work your way down until to find a balance between performance and quality that you like.

3. There is a performance overlay in the Oculus Debug tool that you can enable. Or, some people here recommend a program called fpsVR. It's on Steam, but it costs a few quid.

Thanks for your response bud, appreciate it.

1. I did test the port more than 5 times the result bounces around 1.8-1.9GBps.
Theres definitely a stark difference and this doesnt make sense for me at all.

2. Cheers. Refering to "Encode Bitrate" right? This is currently 0, so what does it mean if its set to zero as opposed to 300?

3. Ah cheers! I assume this is Visible HUD right?

Soldato
Thanks for your response bud, appreciate it.

1. I did test the port more than 5 times the result bounces around 1.8-1.9GBps.
Theres definitely a stark difference and this doesnt make sense for me at all.

2. Cheers. Refering to "Encode Bitrate" right? This is currently 0, so what does it mean if its set to zero as opposed to 300?

3. Ah cheers! I assume this is Visible HUD right?

No problem.

1. That's the weirdness of USB ports and controllers. They vary so much, not all Controllers and ports are equal. And it's this lack of quality and consistency by motherboard manufacturers lead to so much trouble for the original Oculus Rift and Rift s.

2. Yeah, Encoding bitrate. 0 means the default. Not sure what Oculus sets this at by default.

3. Ah, yeah, sorry, forgot about the extra step, you enable the visual hud and select performance.

Soldato
Youre a gent, thanks melmac.

1. Understood. I guess it doesnt matter whether its 1.9Gbps or 2.8Gbps since the Q2 works up to a max of 500Mbps I presume?
2. Got it, I tried 300 and definitely can see some slow down but interestingly, but despite that the ODT HUD shows a stable 90hz which doesnt make sense to me. What have you set this to?
3. Does the HUD performance refresh rate equate to FPS?

Soldato
Youre a gent, thanks melmac.

1. Understood. I guess it doesnt matter whether its 1.9Gbps or 2.8Gbps since the Q2 works up to a max of 500Mbps I presume?
2. Got it, I tried 300 and definitely can see some slow down but interestingly, but despite that the ODT HUD shows a stable 90hz which doesnt make sense to me. What have you set this to?
3. Does the HUD performance refresh rate equate to FPS?

Ok, for 1. I would use the fastest USB port. It uses more than 500Mbs, remember there are overheads above and beyond the 500Mbs bitrate. How much more I don't know.
2. I set mine to 250. But, it also depends on what you have set your render resolution to in the Oculus settings. And how good your GPU is. I have a 2070 Super, what are you using? (sorry if you told me this before, I have a goldfish memory)
3. Haven't used the performance hud in a while. But, you should have two graphs, app frame rate and unused performance. It's in Hz. I think you can switch to different options by pressing F11. The unused performance is a good indication of what's happening and whether you are pushing the graphics quality too high.

Soldato
still haven't got the "move" app

thought i would have it by now..

You can have mine if you want. I'm never going to use it.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Soldato
Ok, for 1. I would use the fastest USB port. It uses more than 500Mbs, remember there are overheads above and beyond the 500Mbs bitrate. How much more I don't know.
2. I set mine to 250. But, it also depends on what you have set your render resolution to in the Oculus settings. And how good your GPU is. I have a 2070 Super, what are you using? (sorry if you told me this before, I have a goldfish memory)
3. Haven't used the performance hud in a while. But, you should have two graphs, app frame rate and unused performance. It's in Hz. I think you can switch to different options by pressing F11. The unused performance is a good indication of what's happening and whether you are pushing the graphics quality too high.

Thanks bud. Ive set the res in Oculus device settings to the maximum res and 90Hz refresh rate.

1.Yep Im going to do so, thanks.
2. Ive got a 3080, but bizzarely even though I get 90Hz, I can see ghosting effect when I move my hands if I set the bitrate at 300mbit. Doesnt make sense to me.
3. Got it, thanks!

Soldato
Thanks bud. Ive set the res in Oculus device settings to the maximum res and 90Hz refresh rate.

2. Ive got a 3080, but bizzarely even though I get 90Hz, I can see ghosting effect when I move my hands if I set the bitrate at 300mbit. Doesnt make sense to me.

How well the game runs and all depends on how graphically demanding the game is. A max render resolution and 90hz might not work with all games. What game are you using to test all this out? What game has your hands ghosting?

Soldato
How well the game runs and all depends on how graphically demanding the game is. A max render resolution and 90hz might not work with all games. What game are you using to test all this out? What game has your hands ghosting?

Good question it was Pokerstars VR, but I am going to try something else just now.

Soldato
Ok really funny story.
For some reason the devices NOW shows 1.7x!
I think I know why.
Because I altered by bitrate in the ODT.
If I alter it to whatever value, I get the 1.7.
If I set it to 0, then the max is 1.5
But the res is still the same so that doesnt matter.

Soldato
Did you reinstall windows?

If youve changed all those components, and windows fresh, has to be the cable or quest surely.

Is it the official link cable?

(2) USB 3.2 being detected as USB 2.0 by Link : OculusQuest (reddit.com)

Taken from the link.

"This is gonna sound crazy. But try plugging opposite ends of your cable in.

Like if end A was plugged into your computer and B was plugged into your Quest, try the opposite - A into your Quest and B into your computer.

It might not work, but sometimes it be like that.

level 2
itscalledANIMEdad

2 points·6 months ago

I spent at least an hour trying to fix this last night. Plugged it in the other way around and it worked."

So I've managed to borrow a friend's Quest 2 to test with my system. I plugged it in to my PC and lo and behold, IT WORKS at a lovely 2.8Gbps!

The problem seems to lie with my Quest then, the componnent I've always assumed wouldn't be the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom