*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
You can blame me when you don't like it :p

Well the Q2 was definitely the right choice, I can't believe how good it is! And...I've only played standalone so far :D:rolleyes:

Cheers melmac!

Just played Vader Immortal, once the wife is prised away from it I'll get desktop installed and try some wireless streaming.:cool:

Soldato
Tried Half Life Alyx yesterday damn looks amazing only had chance to try for 15mins which I spent just trying to turn on the button at the mic haha....I am totally new to VR controls. :D

I tried moving forward and moving arm forward but it was always out of reach? my mate was messing about it before me so probably missed the tips on screen.

Associate
Another thing to consider when picking between the oculus headsets is IPD adjustment or lack of it. Mine is 68 and using a go used to give me a headache. That's why I went quest over rift.

Associate
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread, but for anyone who suffers from a visible straight screen edge, try adjusting your eyes' distance from the lens.

I've had varying situations with 3rd party face gaskets and pads and so-on where this has been an issue with one method, but not with another. The OEM gasket was fine for me in that respect, but very uncomfortable, so I purchased the VR Covers gasket. This was an improvement in several ways, but suddenly the screen edge was very apparent. I put the glasses stand-off frame between the headset and the gasket and voila! Sorted. I don't wear specs, I use prescription VR lenses with all my headsets, but I've kept that spacer in place regardless of gasket and not seen the screen edge again.

Just a note on the face gaskets pack you can buy from Oculus. I ordered them because I was finding that I constantly got a feeling that the edges of the OEM gasket were too close to my eyes and was bugging me in my play sessions. I thought the wider gasket/interface would be best, but in fact the narrow one fits me better. However, regardless of which gasket I use I still get that feeling and have been unable to get rid of it. Just a heads up :)

Lastly, this was my solution to the Elite headstrap being too hard at the rear head cup - I've since cut the frills off to ease use of headphones. Laugh all you like - it's now easily the comfiest headset I've used! :D

Soldato
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread, but for anyone who suffers from a visible straight screen edge, try adjusting your eyes' distance from the lens.

I've had varying situations with 3rd party face gaskets and pads and so-on where this has been an issue with one method, but not with another. The OEM gasket was fine for me in that respect, but very uncomfortable, so I purchased the VR Covers gasket. This was an improvement in several ways, but suddenly the screen edge was very apparent. I put the glasses stand-off frame between the headset and the gasket and voila! Sorted. I don't wear specs, I use prescription VR lenses with all my headsets, but I've kept that spacer in place regardless of gasket and not seen the screen edge again.

Just a note on the face gaskets pack you can buy from Oculus. I ordered them because I was finding that I constantly got a feeling that the edges of the OEM gasket were too close to my eyes and was bugging me in my play sessions. I thought the wider gasket/interface would be best, but in fact the narrow one fits me better. However, regardless of which gasket I use I still get that feeling and have been unable to get rid of it. Just a heads up :)

Lastly, this was my solution to the Elite headstrap being too hard at the rear head cup - I've since cut the frills off to ease use of headphones. Laugh all you like - it's now easily the comfiest headset I've used! :D

Lovin' the guest appearance by Dusty Mop.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif
(Hickory House)

Soldato
Well the Q2 was definitely the right choice, I can't believe how good it is! And...I've only played standalone so far :D:rolleyes:

Cheers melmac!

Just played Vader Immortal, once the wife is prised away from it I'll get desktop installed and try some wireless streaming.:cool:

Whew!! dodged a bullet there :p

The Quest 2 is awesome. I take it by your lack of replies since the 10th that you haven't managed to get it back off the wife yet? :p:D

Soldato

The glass spacer trick for getting rid of the screen edge has been discussed before, but it's good advice and well worth repeating.

And thanks for the Laugh!! the frilly mop was the funniest thing I have seen today :D But, your images have stopped working since this morning.

You have the right attitude, who cares what it looks like, as long as you find it comfortable :)

EDIT: The pictures are back working again!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Another tip for reducing the display edge is if your IPD is between the 2 and 3 IPD Setting, then with a bit of fiddling while pulling the lenses together you can get the lenses to stick between the two IPD settings, giving you a closer IPD to your actual IPD and reducing the view of the screen edge.

Does that device include White face makeup with huge bright red lips, giant red nose and a flower which squirts water? Do you have a comedy car which is far too small for you and oversized shoes?

That's possibly the most hilarious thing I have seen today. You are very brave indeed. Hats off to you.

Soldato
Whew!! dodged a bullet there :p

The Quest 2 is awesome. I take it by your lack of replies since the 10th that you haven't managed to get it back off the wife yet? :p:D

Haha, I can see myself getting another set at this rate!

Only thing I'm going to do is grab a better headband for it, not for comfort really as I find it fine, but something to keep it in the sweet spot where the vision is sharp, I keep having to adjust the tilt.

Absolutely awesome device, I started The Walking Dead last night, it's just incredible. My favourite move is grabbing a zombie head in one head and then stabbing it in the brain with the other. :D

Associate
I know that Oculus Link is not necessarily working at its best with v27 of the software but does anyone else find that the bandwidth varies when you do the USB Test in the Oculus App depending on which way round you plug in the USB-C connector at the headset end?

I get about 280 Mbps when the connector is plugged in one way and 735 Mbps when it is plugged in the other way round (i.e. when the connector is rotated 180 degrees). I have tried this on two different computers and with four different cables (including the ridiculously expensive official one). It makes me think there is something wrong with the headset USB-C socket.

My previous Quest 2 headset, which got replaced due to another issue, used to get at least 1.3 Gbps so I had never tried fiddling with the orientation of the USB cable before.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know that Oculus Link is not necessarily working at its best with v27 of the software but does anyone else find that the bandwidth varies when you do the USB Test in the Oculus App depending on which way round you plug in the USB-C connector at the headset end?

I get about 280 Mbps when the connector is plugged in one way and 735 Mbps when it is plugged in the other way round (i.e. when the connector is rotated 180 degrees). I have tried this on two different computers and with four different cables (including the ridiculously expensive official one). It makes me think there is something wrong with the headset USB-C socket.

My previous Quest 2 headset, which got replaced due to another issue, used to get at least 1.3 Gbps so I had never tried fiddling with the orientation of the USB cable before.

Did you try cleaning the socket and the connector?

Associate
Did you try cleaning the socket and the connector?
Thanks for the suggestion. The headset is only days old so the USB-C socket should not really require cleaning. That said, I have had a look in the socket with a torch, I have blown air in it and I have had a gentle little poke around with a dental pick but there appears to be nothing obvious in the socket itself that might be causing the issue.

I would really be interested to know if anyone else has observed a difference in the bandwidth when rotating the connector.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion. The headset is only days old so the USB-C socket should not really require cleaning. That said, I have had a look in the socket with a torch, I have blown air in it and I have had a gentle little poke around with a dental pick but there appears to be nothing obvious in the socket itself that might be causing the issue.

I would really be interested to know if anyone else has observed a difference in the bandwidth when rotating the connector.

No, that's really strange, you would imagine it wouldn't work at all if it was a faulty connector. Before my link cable broke I tried the connector both ways and noticed no difference. This was before V25 so I don't know if the firmware update has had that affect.

Associate
Hey Guys!
I was following a debate here several pages ago about the real meaning of the render option in the oculus app ... Did you come to a conclusion as to whether 1.7x is the real resolution of the quest?

Soldato
Hey Guys!
I was following a debate here several pages ago about the real meaning of the render option in the oculus app ... Did you come to a conclusion as to whether 1.7x is the real resolution of the quest?

There is no debate, 1.7x render resolution is the native 1:1 resolution of the Quest 2 when you account for the barrel distortion in the lens.

Associate
There is no debate, 1.7x render resolution is the native 1:1 resolution of the Quest 2 when you account for the barrel distortion in the lens.
Compared to, for example, another headset, say a Reverb G2, it has a 4320x2160 resolution. How it works in this case, running a quest2 is a major sacrifice for pc when using the 1.7x render (since the resolution is 5408x2736) ?

Back
Top Bottom