*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Thanks guys :)

Really should get that eye test done again mind, think I had one about 4 years ago and they said it was getting close, starting to struggle with small text on food packets and stuff, just putting it off as long as I can... :)

Associate
What is the Index like Vs the Quest 2 (for games like Half Life Alyx - I do have this and love it). Never used an Index - is it worth the extra £700.....but damn that's a lot of moola.

I was planning to use the Quest 2 as my main VR headset initially, but have decided not to after all. My Index beats it in every way except weight and of course, being tethered. I don't regret the money I spent on the Index at all, despite having had some issues with it (I'm on my 3rd headset and had left controller replaced as well - but all is good now). Any possible advantage with the Quest 2 resolution is negated by the Index' sharper graphics - I use 120Hz and 113% res for most titles and it's great. I aim to keep it for a few more years, upping the refresh rate and resolution as hardware improves. I was fairly happy with my RTX2060 which I bought for the Index, but since upgrading to the 2080ti I haven't looked back. The controllers are excellent, of course - though in some titles the grip controll can be a PITA (due to false 'grabbing' or not releasing), though the pressure required can be adjusted.

Just wish I could get the charging batteries I used with Quest to work with Quest 2 - don't understand why they are not charging it when I'm using Virtual Desktop wirelessly.

Soldato
What is the Index like Vs the Quest 2 (for games like Half Life Alyx - I do have this and love it). Never used an Index - is it worth the extra £700.....but damn that's a lot of moola.
You could always split the difference and go for a G2 reverb

It's £600ish , best image quality on the market (apparently)
Field of view is between quest and index
It is more comfy than index (and definitely quest)

It's a pure PCVR device and is tethered, it uses inside out tracking .

For me the only concern is the controllers. Nothing will touch the knuckles controllers in the index, and pretty much everyone who has tried them admits that Oculus touch controllers are better than the G2 ones as well.

I just sold my rift CV1 and bought a quest2. Whilst I am impressed with quest 2 for what it is and it is the best headset for VR newcomers who want to dip their toe into VR without committing to it, I am confident my G2 preorder will blow it out of the water.

the index is great but for me I want an inside out tracking headset..... I am tired of cables running to external sensors. I just hope the tracking is good enough. Oculus inside out IS good enough..... HTC cosmos and 2 camera windows MR devices are.not imo.

****I have not used a cosmos or an index, my mate does have knuckles for his Vive however

Associate
You could always split the difference and go for a G2 reverb

It's £600ish , best image quality on the market (apparently)
Field of view is between quest and index
It is more comfy than index (and definitely quest)

It's a pure PCVR device and is tethered, it uses inside out tracking .

For me the only concern is the controllers. Nothing will touch the knuckles controllers in the index, and pretty much everyone who has tried them admits that Oculus touch controllers are better than the G2 ones as well.

I just sold my rift CV1 and bought a quest2. Whilst I am impressed with quest 2 for what it is and it is the best headset for VR newcomers who want to dip their toe into VR without committing to it, I am confident my G2 preorder will blow it out of the water.

the index is great but for me I want an inside out tracking headset..... I am tired of cables running to external sensors. I just hope the tracking is good enough. Oculus inside out IS good enough..... HTC cosmos and 2 camera windows MR devices are.not imo.

****I have not used a cosmos or an index, my mate does have knuckles for his Vive however

Cheers for the detailed reply - I'll look forward to what you think of the G2 when you have this!

Permabanned
Its a super cheap entry into VR right!

Quest 2 - £399
Cable - £25
New router - £50
Prescription lenses - £60
Games/Apps - roughly £100 (so far)
Cat 6 cabling outside house from router to office/PC. - £50
Fit pack - £30

£714 ish so far :p (Arguably some wont need all that......)

Not including I had the pro mount/battery/bag on order for 90 quid.

Soldato

Quest 2 - £399
Cable - £25
New router - £50
Fit pack - £30

I get the feeling any VR headset is going to have mounting costs if you enjoy it :D. My wife has already mentioned how my present to myself has already got itself another present (the mvhstudios headmount).

If you want to offset some fit pack cost, I'd love to try the narrow fit facial interface, put it in members market and let me know :D. More presents for my quest 2 (need to get myself an anker 10k pd redux too).

Permabanned
I get the feeling any VR headset is going to have mounting costs if you enjoy it :D. My wife has already mentioned how my present to myself has already got itself another present (the mvhstudios headmount).

If you want to offset some fit pack cost, I'd love to try the narrow fit facial interface, put it in members market and let me know :D. More presents for my quest 2 (need to get myself an anker 10k pd redux too).

To be expected really, I knew I would need stuff. Just a kind of heads up for n00bs. :p

Think I will need to keep the fit pack stuff, daughter has a smaller head. ;)

Soldato

Quest 2 - £399
Cable - £25
New router - £50
Fit pack - £30

Bit biased there. For pcvr the 64Gb is plenty, which is £100 less.

Youll need games no matter which headset you buy.

Cant really count improving your home networking either since youve also counted buying the cable, and adding ethernet is an improvement to your home in other ways. The £25 cable is the valid comparison to a wired headset

You would need prescription lenses with any headset.

Soldato
Bit biased there. For pcvr the 64Gb is plenty, which is £100 less.

Youll need games no matter which headset you buy.

Cant really count improving your home networking either since youve also counted buying the cable, and adding ethernet is an improvement to your home in other ways. The £25 cable is the valid comparison to a wired headset

You would need prescription lenses with any headset.

He's not arguing that it's an expensive headset, he's just arguing that the costs can add up if you start enjoying it :D.

Permabanned
Yeah, its just a note that costs can add up and yes some of those items are required for all headsets in my case. :)

Personally I am happy with the Quest 2 and the associated costs, they have improved my PC gaming too, game latency wired is quite a bit improved even though I felt I had no issues on wifi.

Associate
Hello guys , i just joined to your nice place here ;)

Recently i got my Quest 2 and thats my very first VR set ;) I have a question about these lenses:

https://www.framesdirect.com/virtuclear-lens-inserts-for-oculus-quest-2.html

I wonder what exactly is their purpose ?

I dont wear glasses and I have no eye diopters. I love the picture quality of my Quest 2 but i just suffer and get really annoyed of some "shifting effect" when the VR lenses are not exactly perfect on my eyes even if i move headset 1-2mm . I guess there is some kind of "sweet spot" that is really narrow for me ... So even the headset moves 1-2mm on my face in any direction i can notice the text on screen get some glares and even become blurry ... It is most noticeable when there is white text on black screen. I have been tried all IPD settings but this didnt solve the problem. I dont have experience with any other VR sets so i wonder if this is normal ? I wonder if these virtuclear lenses can help me with that ?

Thank you very much for the help and suggestions in advance !

Soldato
Hello guys , i just joined to your nice place here ;)

Recently i got my Quest 2 and thats my very first VR set ;) I have a question about these lenses:

https://www.framesdirect.com/virtuclear-lens-inserts-for-oculus-quest-2.html

I wonder what exactly is their purpose ?

I dont wear glasses and I have no eye diopters. I love the picture quality of my Quest 2 but i just suffer and get really annoyed of some "shifting effect" when the VR lenses are not exactly perfect on my eyes even if i move headset 1-2mm . I guess there is some kind of "sweet spot" that is really narrow for me ... So even the headset moves 1-2mm on my face in any direction i can notice the text on screen get some glares and even become blurry ... It is most noticeable when there is white text on black screen. I have been tried all IPD settings but this didnt solve the problem. I dont have experience with any other VR sets so i wonder if this is normal ? I wonder if these virtuclear lenses can help me with that ?

Thank you very much for the help and suggestions in advance !

If you don't need glasses these those lens inserts will do nothing for you.

But, maybe you should get your eyes tested and while you are there ask them to tell you what your IPD is.

Then you should consider buying a better head strap, like the elite head strap when they come back in stock. This will make it easier to keep the headset in the sweet spot.

Soldato
He's not arguing that it's an expensive headset, he's just arguing that the costs can add up if you start enjoying it :D.

Yeah, it's a good point. Though I think the thing about the price is its a great entry point. I've fancied a headset for ages but was never sure whether I'd get on with it or not. £300 finally seemed the sort of price where I could take a punt.

Soldato
Yeah, it's a good point. Though I think the thing about the price is its a great entry point. I've fancied a headset for ages but was never sure whether I'd get on with it or not. £300 finally seemed the sort of price where I could take a punt.

Felt exactly the same way. Been tracking second hadhand quests then suddenly quest 2!

Permabanned

This is why I also took a punt, my first headset. Liked it so much I decided I needed to get all the various bits running perfectly. :)

Back
Top Bottom