Oculus Quest 2 v HP Reverb G2?

Soldato
It's not screen door effect.

Here's another part of the same zoomed in image. Same degree of zoom.

Those vertical lines only appear away from the centre. Screen door would appear on every part of the image. It's clearly a software influenced effect, and as repeatedly stated, the q2 is not running to it's full capabilities on this comparison.

I disagree, if you zoom out those lines are all over in patches, I don't think thats software at all - you can still see them in the rec room images and rec room was one of the titles he said was already updated for the Q2

it looks like a problem with the lenses to me

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I disagree, if you zoom out those lines are all over in patches, I don't think thats software at all - you can still see them in the rec room images and rec room was one of the titles he said was already updated for the Q2

it looks like a problem with the lenses to me

Good to see that you missed the point about those images NOT being taken from the Q2 at it's genuine resolution. Keep up the good work!

Soldato
Good to see that you missed the point about those images NOT being taken from the Q2 at it's genuine resolution. Keep up the good work!
#

the rec room one was, numpty
right there in the video he says rec room has been updated for the q2 and shows images of the soft image not at native and the sharp image at native, not very good at internet are you?

Last edited:
Soldato
Don’t read too much into artefacts that you see when pointing a camera at an lcd... it’s unlikely to be representative of what your eye actually sees.

I’ve said it before, but I expect the quest screen to look great. I would be very surprised if it had anywhere near that sort of visible banding in reality and am very confident it isn’t actually there.

But even given the above I still think anyone expecting it to be the same or beat the G2 is nothing short of delusional. Yet again to me it’s a question of how close it can come, and given I expect both to look pretty great I think that it will ultimately be a struggle to tell just how far apart they come from through the lens videos - there’s no replacement for actually putting on the headsets and comparing side by side, or second best getting the opinions of someone who has done that. Through the lens videos can only ever give you a rough idea of what you can expect to see.

Soldato
If those black lines are merely an artefact from the camera or early software etc, then it's looking pretty damn close to be honest. Close enough for the price difference certainly.

Of course, g2 focuses on a wired experience, so it's a question now of how the link performs. Of course, if virtual desktop can perform well enough, then it's really much less of a contest except for those that cannot stand any latency whatsoever.

Soldato
Don’t read too much into artefacts that you see when pointing a camera at an lcd... it’s unlikely to be representative of what your eye actually sees.

I’ve said it before, but I expect the quest screen to look great. I would be very surprised if it had anywhere near that sort of visible banding in reality and am very confident it isn’t actually there.

But even given the above I still think anyone expecting it to be the same or beat the G2 is nothing short of delusional. Yet again to me it’s a question of how close it can come, and given I expect both to look pretty great I think that it will ultimately be a struggle to tell just how far apart they come from through the lens videos - there’s no replacement for actually putting on the headsets and comparing side by side, or second best getting the opinions of someone who has done that. Through the lens videos can only ever give you a rough idea of what you can expect to see.

If those black lines are merely an artefact from the camera or early software etc, then it's looking pretty damn close to be honest. Close enough for the price difference certainly.

Of course, g2 focuses on a wired experience, so it's a question now of how the link performs. Of course, if virtual desktop can perform well enough, then it's really much less of a contest except for those that cannot stand any latency whatsoever.

don't get me wrong, I am probably getting one of each, but I don't expect the Q2 over wireless to beat or even match the G2, thats just crazy talk.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Is anyone arguing it'll be better or match the g2 visuals?

nope.
I’ve never made any statement about the Q2 being better.
What I’ve continued to state is that at this stage, I don’t believe we’ve been given genuine evidence that the visuals of the G2 are better. Clearly the G2 has higher res, so you’d expect to be better, but that’s not the same as it ending up being better.

It feels like some here are insistent on the G2 being better, which I don’t see as being yet confirmed.

as for the comments of others, they appear to be suffering from a selective ability to read.

Soldato
^^^ so yes, arguing that the G2 visuals might not be better is apparently not the same as saying that the quest might match it. Mental gymnastics at their finest.

You quite literally said we don’t know which one will have better visuals or audio. We really do.

That is not the same as saying one or the other is overall “better” which is far too subjective to ever be a universal constant given how different they are in terms of positioning and capabilities. Hence why I intend to own both as they each have their own positives and cater to different needs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
^^^ so yes, arguing that the G2 visuals might not be better is apparently not the same as saying that the quest might match it. Mental gymnastics at their finest.

You quite literally said we don’t know which one will have better visuals or audio. We really do.

That is not the same as saying one or the other is overall “better” which is far too subjective to ever be a universal constant given how different they are in terms of positioning and capabilities. Hence why I intend to own both as they each have their own positives and cater to different needs.

Be serious. The only way you can truly say that is if you've tried the two side by side. As I'm assuming that this is NOT the case, your statement simply isn't valid.

Is it fair to say that:
"the G2 will most probably have been visuals", and "the G2 has better audio that the built in cack solution that the Quest has", then absolutely. Agreed.
But that is NOT the same as absolutely confirmed.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Dudes. How about taking a chill pill.

I'm with you on the G2 almost certainly being the right solution, to the point that I'll probably buy one myself.
Can't you just have a little patience and wait to see what the side by side comparisons actually confirm?

Soldato
It feels like some here are insistent on the G2 being better, which I don’t see as being yet confirmed.

You're right it's not confirmed.

But unless G2 gets something seriously wrong, it will be visually better. It has better resolution, a better IPD adjustment, a direct connection to PC over displayport.

The Quest 2 has a really good resolution, but is still reliant on a streamed visual feed over USB. Hopefully Link can be made to work great, or wireless streaming. How close will it get to G2? We don't know. Personally Im hoping close enough that I don't need to buy two headsets but we'll see. It will certainly be better than Quest 1 by a big margin.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
..Personally Im hoping close enough that I don't need to buy two headsets but we'll see. It will certainly be better than Quest 1 by a big margin.

Quite. I'm hoping the the G2 makes the Quest 2 look a bit pap, as it'll make the decision making a process a whole lot easier.
Roll on those comparison reviews.

Soldato
Be serious. The only way you can truly say that is if you've tried the two side by side. As I'm assuming that this is NOT the case, your statement simply isn't valid.

Is it fair to say that:
"the G2 will most probably have been visuals", and "the G2 has better audio that the built in cack solution that the Quest has", then absolutely. Agreed.
But that is NOT the same as absolutely confirmed.

Look I do get the point you are trying to make here, but from my perspective the mistake is that you are treating too many things as complete unknowns when in fact they aren’t.

What we do actually know

- G2 has 33% more pixels.

- G2 panels and lenses have been described by numerous previewers as being very good in terms of SDE/Contrast/Colour, sweet spot and clarity and have been compared favourably to other known headsets including with extensive through the lens footage. They are noted as being a significant improvement on the G1 which is already a known entity (notably getting rid of issues such as the perceived mura and further reducing screen door with larger pixels) and the lenses are reportedly superior to the index (primarily due to not needing the dual element design for the wider FoV) which is also a known entity. They aren’t realistically going to suddenly be substandard in the retail version, and indeed if you believe HP the lenses underwent further improvements during later product design.

- G2 uses a native displayport 1.4 connection to the PC

- The Quest 2 connects to PCVR either through WiFi or link, both of which require heavy compression and will continue to do so even when it is updated to use the full capabilities of the XR2. I have used both extensively and am very familiar with the visual and latency compromises entailed... again it is not an unknown. Native connection is and will continue to be higher fidelity and lower latency, even if link closes the gap in future.

- When not playing PCVR the hardware is far more limited than the typical gaming PC which again would usually result in lower overall visual fidelity due to lower quality textures, models and effects even if clarity and contrast aren’t being murdered over link. Here you could argue they are better than the blank screen that the G2 will produce without a PC, but as we are comparing visuals rather than features such as standalone I feel that would miss the point!

- Quest 2 uses “effectively the same lenses” as the Quest 1, which while perfectly good are not going to make up for the other shortcomings when compared to lenses on the G2 that are reportedly better than the index’s.

- Quest 2 uses 3 fixed IPD positions meaning it is impossible to precisely set your IPD unless you fall into one of those 3 exact values. Reviewers such as Tyriel noted that falling between setting 2 and 3 for example led to slight discomfort after longer sessions and increased chromatic aberrations. G2 allows for continuous IPD to avoid this for a much larger range of users.

- Quest 2’s use of a fixed panel is a compromise when it comes to IPD adjustment. Some have noted a reduction in FoV (black edges visible) when at the widest FoV setting. Again, G2 avoids this for a larger number of users by having panels that move along with the IPD adjustment.

So no, I just don’t agree. Given all we do actually know it is simply not realistic to suggest that we don’t know which will have the objectively better visuals, especially for PCVR. What is not known is just how big the gap will end up being and whether it justifies the premium the G2 is demanding, especially when considering some of the other advantages the Quest 2 has.

Last edited:
Soldato
Look I do get the point you are trying to make here, but from my perspective the mistake is that you are treating too many things as complete unknowns when in fact they aren’t.

Between the compression and the potential IPD mismatch, I think the difference is going to be very noticeable to a wide range of people.

Soldato
So I’m on mobile with no real image editor so please excuse the crude comparison.

Bear in mind that we are looking at through the lens shots with the normal caveats and compressed images from different sources so this is only a rough comparison for educational purposes only ;)

here is the Quest 2 link preview from Tyriel (looks great):

adqFg3H.jpg

And here is a shot from his previous G2 video:

sBL2Mtm.jpg

Here is a close up comparison of the centre I put together:

LrvYHxX.jpg

Very much looking forward to him doing a proper comparison video and giving some thoughts on how they stack up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom