Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Anyone been playing Onward? I totally get the uproar over them downgrading the pc version but I'm massively impressed how they've got it running on the quest, completely lost myself in it this morning and before I knew I was out of battery. I think it's brilliant, only ever played co-op on the pc version but I've been sticking to competitive on the quest, had some right games!

Soldato
OP
Anyone direct me to a working up/down 90 USB-C adaptor that actually works with 'link'. Had a couple now and just seem to pass power even though that state 3.1 data/power :mad:

Associate
Onward is taking one hell of a kicking on steam discussion threads, and now is "mostly negative" for recent reviews. There's a comparsion video linked on there between 1.7 and 1.8 on the PC, and the amount that they've downgraded the PC graphics is extremely apparent.

Soldato
Quite rightly too in my opinion... it is an enormous visual downgrade.

If it wasn't ready for the two versions to be able to play nice, they should have been ringfenced releases. Cross play wasn't necessary to force through yet when it came at a massive detriment to the long time PC users.

Underboss
New to VR here

my Quest 1 is on the way !

Been lurking in the VR sub forums for ages, been wanting to try VR , soon I can :)

any tips ?

is there a particular way of loading things ?

i heard things like, get "xyz " game from the such and such a place instead of steam (for example)
also about PC to Quest, what should i do ?

thanks

Soldato
New to VR here

Been lurking in the VR sub forums for ages, been wanting to try VR , soon I can :)

Congrats, enjoy!

any tips ?

Q1 is not particularly comfortable, of course try it first but I would recommend looking into a third party facial interface as that massively improved my comfort (and isn't a gross sweat sponge) AMVR PU leather ones were good and you can never go wrong with VRcover.

You can also add a battery pack at the back which balances the weight a bit better so despite being heavier overall can increase comfort.

There are aftermarket grips that hold the controllers to your hand like the index, I quite like those and felt they improved games like Alyx. Oh while we are talking tips, pick up Alyx - it's on sale on steam.

i heard things like, get "xyz " game from the such and such a place instead of steam (for example)

You have 3 main options - native mobile quest games from the Oculus store that you install locally on the headset and can run without a PC, Oculus store PC games (some of which will have cross buy and give you the mobile version too, some which won't) and Steam. The latter two install the games on your PC and require you to connect your headset to your PC in some form to work.

As for connecting, you can either go the simple route which is a USB cable to headset (i'd recommend getting a 5m specially designed one from eg amazon as they are longer and more flexible than the typical ones... while you are at it might as well make sure it's USB 3.X too) or you can go WiFi by buying the mobile version of Virtual Desktop, and sideloading the patch that enables wifi streaming. It's a little more involved (dev account, sidequest etc) and good results are dependant on you following best practise for the wifi link.... but not overly complex for most moderately tech savvy people. There are other options like ALVR but I personally find Virtual desktop to be worth the money.

Soldato
New to VR here

any tips ?

thanks
Native Oculus games simply order through the website or the dedicated phone app. Done!

If you instead buy games through Steam (or from Oculus for the wired Rift etc), then you need to run the Oculus in basically a rift mode, connected to your PC via a wire (usb 3) or wireless via Virtual Desktop (which involves also installing Sidequest - quite easy!).

Oculus Link
Use the official optical cable which is quite expensive, or you can make one up yourself. I use a 5M ugreen USB3 extender and a 3m YOTO USB3 lead with a right angle adapter at the headset. A couple of small little velcro cable ties then hold that cable neatly on the headstrap.

Virtual Desktop
You can do much of what you can with a dedicated Link cable, using virtual desktop to wirelessly connect. BUT, it may not be as smooth and lag free. I find it a lesser experience than using a cable. But handy for a wire free experience away from the PC.

Third party grips
Highly recommend the AMVR Controller Grip Covers but without the little straps to hold them in place on the controllers, or the knuckle straps. I use just the silicon grips pushed over the bottom of the handles as this is fine and makes it easy to change the batteries. This stops the annoying issue of the battery covers sliding off by accident when using the conrtollers.

Misc
The native Oculus interface is quite different to the interface you get via Link. This is being address in a few months, with the two being pushed towards a more common single experience. At last!

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up

Can you use the power cable as a link cable? (Assuming its the same connection)
No.... Power only...

I use these (from the famous African river):-
- UGREEN USB Extension Cable, USB 3.0 Male to Female Active Repeater Cable with Signal Amplifier Repeater for Printers, Wifi Antenna, PlayStation, HTC VIVE, Keyboard, Game Console (5M)
- JOTO USB Type C Cable [Extra Long 10ft], Type-C to USB 3.0 Type A Charging Data Cable [Heavy Duty Nylon Braided] for Galaxy S20 Ultra S9 S8+ Note 10 10+ 9 Tab S4 S3 Nintendo Switch Type C Devices
- 90 Degree USB C Type C Male to Female Adapter, Right & Left 90 Degree USB-C 3.1 Type-C Male to Female Extension Adapter for Laptop & Tablet & Mobile Phone
- Ganvol (20 Pack) 11.5 cm Short Self Gripping Hook & Loop Cable Ties for Travel Storage, Self Adhesive Strips, Reusable, Remove and Refit in seconds, Cord Fastener, Electrical Wire Tie, Bundling Straps

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up

Can you use the power cable as a link cable? (Assuming its the same connection)

No.... Power only...

Small correction - that used to be true but then they changed link to allow it to work over a usb2.0 connection and since then the supplied cable (Q1 only as Q2 comes with a tiny cable) actually does work. USB3.X still a better choice especially now you’re getting the option to pump the encode bandwidth higher.

Nile.com?

Lol... geography, who needs it!

Soldato
Small correction - that used to be true but then they changed link to allow it to work over a usb2.0 connection and since then the supplied cable (Q1 only as Q2 comes with a tiny cable) actually does work. USB3.X still a better choice especially now you’re getting the option to pump the encode bandwidth higher.
Actually you are right. Last week I plugged my USB3 cable into the Oculus, and accidentally into a USB2 port, a I didn't even notice :)

Back
Top Bottom