Odd page centering problem with firefox

Associate
I'm scratching my head about why Firefox doesn't centre pages consistently using the "margin:auto;" css trick on the wrapper div. The pages do centre but some of the pages seem to be offset horizontally by a few pixels, giving the illusion of the pages being shifted horizontally when navigating between pages of a site.

The wrapper width's are the same so I'm a bit lost as to why this is happening. Can the contents inside the wrapper affect the overall (centred) positioning of the page? Removing the contents below from a <div> seems to cause the shifting ( see below):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

<br />
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo.

<br />
<br />
consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum." <a href="mailto:xyz">[email protected]</a>.<br />
<br />
Our services include:

<ul>
<li>abc</li>
<li>cde</li>
<li>hij</li>
<li>klm</li>
<li>mnop</li>
</ul>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's no css associated with the above tags. How could it cause the page to move across? Not getting this problem on IE. Anyone got any ideas?

Associate
Associate
OP
This might be a silly question, but are you sure it's not because the scrollbar is on some of the pages and not on others?

Damn, you're right. I can't believe I hadn't spotted that :o I guess thats what happens when you try thinking early hours of the morning.

Incidentally uk_sam, why are you using so many breaks? You do know you should be using paragraph tags in instance like that? I took it as granted that people understood it but apparently not. http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200903/use_the_p_element_to_create_paragraphs/

I agree with you probedb, I wouldn't normally use the breaks - I had to modify some existing pages where the original contents wasn't created by me.

Anyway I really appreciate the responses guys. Love the forum!

Back
Top Bottom