**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Soldato
Dkore-DeX said:
Mmm not working as i thought, ive been advised to reinstall windows so ill see if that gives me any luck, needed a re format anyway so gives me an excuse to do it.

Just to double check, if you are using XP Home then you won't see a 2nd CPU, only XP Pro is dual CPU capable.

Soldato
Dkore-DeX said:
Ive got XP pro, so in home edition will it only work as a single core then? Or will it work dual core but onyl show as one?

Only Pro and the 64bit versions of XP work with multiple cpu's. Home edition would work with a dual core cpu installed but the OS would only see a single core.

XP Pro should definitely find the dual core cpu in the Devices list. It will also display this in the Task Manager section. From the Task Manager you can also individually assign different processes to individual cores.

Caporegime
bigredshark said:
I'm not sure this has been answered already in the thread, and it's about to become an issue for me.

does the board work ok with 4 sticks of memory (corsair XMS 1GB CAS2 to be specific, i have 2 but i want to another two in for 4gb) I'm not expecting it to run at 1T but I've heard of problems running 4 sticks of memory in some AMD boards. anybody know?

*mutters about not having this problem with intel*

The general concensus is that the boards aren't the problem, but A64's memory controller are pretty pants with 4 sticks. To be totally honest why on earth should you need 4GB of ram? 2GB is more than ample.

Man of Honour
mmj_uk said:
The general concensus is that the boards aren't the problem, but A64's memory controller are pretty pants with 4 sticks. To be totally honest why on earth should you need 4GB of ram? 2GB is more than ample.

because I can is one reason, because I can afford to and it's a logical upgrade is another, and because when i'm editing photo's I sometimes *only* have 600mb of memory free. I'm just curious if it'll work, from what you're saying it won't on any board? I thought I'd heard that some boards worked better with 4 sticks than others?

Caporegime
It's just all a bit of gamble using 4Gb on A64's.

You'll definitely have to use 2T but even then you may still get stability problems even at stock (PC3200) speed.

Associate
bigredshark said:
I'm not sure this has been answered already in the thread, and it's about to become an issue for me.

does the board work ok with 4 sticks of memory (corsair XMS 1GB CAS2 to be specific, i have 2 but i want to another two in for 4gb) I'm not expecting it to run at 1T but I've heard of problems running 4 sticks of memory in some AMD boards. anybody know?

*mutters about not having this problem with intel*

I have 4Gb of RAM (two 2Gb Corsair kits) working fine. I had to use Windows x64 for it to recognise all of it though. And you're right, it won't work at 1T regardless of what settings I try.

Associate
im only running 2 x 512 and to get stable above 240fsb i have to use slots a2 and b2. this was the same on an exact same comp build (a8n prem, 3700, corsair 2 x 512 4400). thought it was psu but now using tagan 530w and hasnt made any difference. i know some of the dfi boards had problems with corsair memory so i guess it must be something along the same lines. as for using 4 sticks i think will be a gamble and dont really see why manufacturers put 4 slots in on boards that are obviously going to be o/c

Associate
Hopefully this is the right place for a little help, I just spalshed out on:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4400CDBOX) (CP-127-AM)
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-111-AS)
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
Leadtek GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-065-LT)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 250GB 6L250S0 SATA 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-021-MD)
Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Black UV (CA-005-HP)

Came with BIOS 1005 and I've not done any overclocking or other messing about, just used all the standard stuff as provided in the boxes (I'm also actually using the AMD stock cooler atm) :p

Put everything together and it worked 1st time, XP Pro installed fine and I though (foolishly) all was well. Then I started installing the provided drivers and it all went horribly wrong....constant hanging at the XP loading screen on bootup, boot disk errors, blue-screening, total refusal to re-instal XP (would hang @ 10 -15% of file copy stage) - generally falling over like a no swearing bloke on an icy evening :(

I played around with the ram, PSU and everything else and finally got it working by using an old ATA100 80GB IDE HD - seems stable atm but I want to use my new SATA drive god damn it! I can't (yet) be 100% sure the drive isn't at fault but as i'm far from an expert can anyone offer any suggestions or do maxtor drives just not mix with this mobo?

Also are the provided drivers ok or is it worth seeking out others (and if so which ones)? - I'd really prefer not to flash the BIOS tho (it scares me)

Associate
I would suggest flashing to the latest stable BIOS. ASUS update is very straightforward to use (windows flasher).

Disable whatever you do not use (e.g. RAID, Serial, Parallel, second LAN) to save those IRQs.

Delete the partition. Do a clean install of Windows XP (SP2 integrated). Install nforce 6.66 or later and then reboot. Install your other (latest) drivers then goto windows update.

I would not use the drivers on the discs, they are usually out of date. It wouldn't hurt to try a different SATA cable.

Back
Top Bottom