**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Associate
Quick question, will an XP-120 fit on this board and still allow me to enable dual channel mode? (I'll have 2 OCZ 1gb sticks) Or does the XP block the first 2 DIMM slots?

If this is the case what's the performance hit like using 2x1gb in non-dual channel mode?

Associate
getting 30 idle and 40 load with stock cooler on a 3700. overclocked to 2.4 (1.392v). motherboard is at 38degrees. has anyone tried fitting a zalman northbridge heatsink onto the asus heatsink to help lower motherboard temps

Associate
Can any one help

Got a vCore problem with a 4400+ X2 on my Premium board.

Ok, I set the vCore to 1.4 in the bios and in Probe, it records it as 1.35 - . So I guess the first question is, do I trust the bios or do i trust the reading?

Next, I wanted to raise it to 1.40 volts. So I did it, and the reading didn't move at all! It still read 1.35 volts in both the bios and Probe.

how high can I go with 4400+ on air, CPU temp is reading 38C

I am using 1005 for the bios.

Power supply Tagan 480w

Simon

Soldato
OP
I'm using MBM5 for temps/voltages/fan speeds and it seems to be pretty reliable... if anyone wants the modified voltages.ini to make it work with the board just drop me an email :)

Caporegime
what sort of case setups do you guys have ?

the reason i ask is that Asus Probe shows my Motherboard temp higher than my CPU temp (at about 38). This is even with an aluminium Lian Li V1000 and a 120mm Exhaust fan.

As a result the board is overheating and crashing. Im not 100 % certain its the mobo, but at the time its rebooting, everything else is cool to the touch, except the mobo northbridge cooler which is very hot to the touch.

Associate
Hi,

Post (by Matt) copied from the ASUS support forum, he had a reply from "Asus UK Technical Support"

I've got a response from ASUS on the effectiveness of the chipset heatpipe when inverting the A8N-SLI Premium, in cases such as the Lian Li v1000/v1100, etc...

"You may lose some efficiency if the board is not laid flat (because heat rises), but it should not be of significant detriment provided there is decent airflow through the system to take the heat away and keep components above heatsink cool.

I suggest that you head over to the Asus UK Support form, several repies of the same problem with this type of case, NB chip is getting very hot.

My case is the old ATX format, X2 4400+ CPU @ 2.46GHz (11*224), CPU 41C and MB 35C running prime95 for the last 6 hours with a 12cm fan blowing over the CPU stock heatsink and memory, I can hold my finger on the NB chip no problem. (fans 12cm in and 8cm*2 out)

If I can solve the vcore problem I would be OK, No problem with 2.6GHz at 1.35v in general use, will not run prime95, other testing programs OK

By the way how high can you run the HTT I am at 2220 ((5*224)*2) ?

memory at DDR 400 2,2,2,5, 11, 1T
Simon

Soldato
Simon D said:
"You may lose some efficiency if the board is not laid flat (because heat rises), but it should not be of significant detriment provided there is decent airflow through the system to take the heat away and keep components above heatsink cool.

XP-120 helps so much as well, the fan manages to cool that section very well next to the socket.

Soldato
OP
My HTT is at 300 at the moment (8 x 300). Had to up the HTT and chipset volts a tiny bit to stabilise it, as I was getting boot lockups. I'm hopefully gonna try for 325MHz at some point... :D

Suman

Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but I have a problem that I feel may be caused by this motherboard, and wonder if any of you could help.

I've a headset microphone. It's configured in windows' Sound and Audio Devices, and in volume control the recording volume for the mic has been set to maximum, however; the volume at which it records is still far too low - on TeamSpeak my friends can barely hear me, and all the input controls that I can find that relate to the mic have been set to maximum. These friends can hear each other perfectly well, which isolates the problem to my system.

Before anyone asks, yes the mic is close to my mouth. ;)

I've used the same mic on another PC, and it worked fine, no configuration problems at all.

It's plugged into the onboard sound on this, my A8N-Sli Premium motherboard.

I was wondering if any of you have had similar problems, or if any of you would be willing to test to see if this is some issue with our motherboards, or if mine in particular is misbehaving?

Any ideas on how to fix this would be much appreciated. I've tried turning on Mic Boost under Advanced in volume control, and whilst that is some help, it boosts the ambient noise to such a point that it sounds like I'm in a wind-tunnel.

Using WinXP SP2, the headset's a Sennheiser PC150.

-T

Associate
Hi Suman

Your suggestion of increasing the HT is working my x2 4400 is now at 314 (8*314 2.52hz) 1.35v, my memory is at 208hz 2,2,2,5 1T 2.85v, running prime95 for the last 6 hours no problem with Sandra burn-in wizard at the same time all Ok (30 run time), HT, chip voltage left at default

3dmark05 scores 6379, 3dmark2001 28,675, carried out at the same time as running Prime95 & Sandra

G Card is ATI 850 PE

I have tried for 325, boots no problem, but will not run prime95, 3dmark05 Ok (6418), sandra burn-in wizard is also Ok

My problem is in the cpu voltage I have tried 1.4v but still reads 1.35v, sandra reports the same as Asus probe.

Any one seen this problem not been able to increase vcore?

Power supply tagan 480w

Simon

Associate
I'm using drivers for the sound that refer to themselves as:

Realtek AC'97 Audio
Version: 5.10.0.5781 (I updated these from Asus' site, no help.)

I assume those are the drivers you're referring to? AC'97 Audio is the only thing that appears in the drop-down selection boxes in Sound And Audio Devices when I try to alter anything in a 'Default Device' box.

I wasn't aware that there were nVidia audio drivers?

Associate
I have drop the volts to CPU and memory all stable, current system

X2 4400 @ 2.52Ghz (8*314), HTT 3x, 1.33 vCore using stock supplied heaksink
2 * 512MB Mushikin Level 2 3200 (old BH5) using memory index 266 @ 209Mhz 2,2,2,5,1T 2.75v
2 * 12cm Fan (1 in and 1 above CPU/Memory)
2 * 8cm Fan (out)

Under load running Prime95,sandra burn-in wizard for the last 20 hours

Sisoftware Sandra reports

Board Temperature 39C
CPU Temperature 33C
Power Temperature 43C

Asus PCProbe reports

CPU Temperature 38C
MB Temperature 33C

I am confused about the readings from Sandra,

Simon

Last edited: