**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Associate
I have a question on the MB drivers I are still using the ones supplied on the CD, I have tried to update to Nvidia 6.66, but wilth no luck I get get a message box with just 1155 in it, if I click OK, system becomes unstable when next bootup problems with G Card drivers (ATi)

any one else using these new drivers?

simon

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Simon D: Nice to hear your overclock is stable :) temps seem pretty good too (I get 39 idle and 50 load, but that's with a Winny using 1.525V). I heard nForce 6.66 are a bit iffy... are you using Win XP or XP x64? Maybe try the version before them...

Turelin: nForce driver package installs an audio app, but it didn't work for me so I just installed the Realtek ones over them! Latest version is 3.73a maybe try upgrading to those if you haven't already. Also in the Realtek control panel there should be an option called "Microphone Auto Gain Control" or something similar... not at my main PC now so can't check exactly! But if you can find it try enabling it?

drunknmunky: My NB idles at about 38... iirc load temps don't rise much at all, maybe a degree or two at most.

Suman

Associate
Hi,

Out of interest, does it matter if you use the blue slots or the black slots for the 1Gb DIMMs? I've got some stability issues, although suspect its my CPU cooler fitment.

Just wanted to check if anyone had any gotcha with RAM positioning.

Cheers, Alex

Soldato
I don't use any of the new nForce drivers, because last time I updated to the newest ones they made my Maxtors corrupt. I used the ones on CD which seem to be ok.

Are there any new ones out which don't corrupt Maxtor drives?

Associate
DrEvil said:
Hi,

Out of interest, does it matter if you use the blue slots or the black slots for the 1Gb DIMMs? I've got some stability issues, although suspect its my CPU cooler fitment.

Just wanted to check if anyone had any gotcha with RAM positioning.

Cheers, Alex

Yep, looks like it was just the cooler fitment (or rather AS5)

Associate
Just a quick question. Is there anyway to test that the motherboard is functioning properly.
Over the last week I've suffered disk corruption to the point I needed to reinstall. The reinstall failed as I was getting \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe error code 4. I tried swapping the RAM from 2 sticks to 1 of known working stuff and the install went ahead but when it reached the network id process I got BSOD for CDFS file system.
The disks, and RAM have been tested in another system and that's fine so I can only think the motherboard is at fault.
Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony

Soldato
Errol said:
Is the Premium 'better' than the Deluxe then ?

I'm confused.

Yes.

2 main reasons.

1. When using a high memclock eg above around 240ishMhz was the sweetspot, you cannot use 1T otherwise you get instability. With the Premium you can use 1T.
2. Silent Heatpipe better than that ailing fan they had on the Deluxe.

Associate
a few quick questions on this board, as mine arrives tommorrow

your help gladly appreciated

1) i have a San Diego 3700, is this supported out of the box or will it require a bios upgrade?

2) Do i require a driver on a floppy to be able to boot from a SATA drive or is there native support

thanks

Last edited:
Associate
green rizla said:
a few quick questions on this board, as mine arrives tommorrow

your help gladly appreciated

1) i have a San Diego 3700, is this supported out of the box or will it require a bios upgrade?

2) Do i require a driver on a floppy to be able to boot from a SATA drive or is there native support

thanks

1) should be supported under bios 1005 for sure, seems new CPU support (inc X2) was from 1004 - Asus allow bios updates without a support CPU anyway (alt + f2 I think) so all is not lost as long as you can download the new bios to floppy on another machine..
2) I used the black SATA ports 1 & 2, and didn't need to load any additional drivers with WinXP SP2.

Associate
DrEvil said:
1) should be supported under bios 1005 for sure, seems new CPU support (inc X2) was from 1004 - Asus allow bios updates without a support CPU anyway (alt + f2 I think) so all is not lost as long as you can download the new bios to floppy on another machine..
2) I used the black SATA ports 1 & 2, and didn't need to load any additional drivers with WinXP SP2.

thanks for the info :)

Soldato
rafster said:
I don't use any of the new nForce drivers, because last time I updated to the newest ones they made my Maxtors corrupt. I used the ones on CD which seem to be ok.

Are there any new ones out which don't corrupt Maxtor drives?

I agree.

Although im fine with the rest of the driver package i just dont install the IDE/SATA part.

On me DFI i got corruption. reverted back to MS drivers and the speed almost doubled aswell.

i know get 229 burst speed in HD tach with MS drivers and Sata 2 enabled Hitatchi 250 (on DFI)

Associate
San Diego 3700 will definately run straight from the box its what i have in mine.What bios is everyone running and would it be worthwhile to update my bios from the shipped bios 1005.
I cant get over 229x11 on my board without it locking up,but then again im an overclocking newbie and more than likely am stuffing it up,what overclocks should i be seeing with my cpu and some corsair 3200 XMS3200C2 twinx? air cooled freezer 64.

Associate
subzero said:
San Diego 3700 will definately run straight from the box its what i have in mine.What bios is everyone running and would it be worthwhile to update my bios from the shipped bios 1005.
I cant get over 229x11 on my board without it locking up,but then again im an overclocking newbie and more than likely am stuffing it up,what overclocks should i be seeing with my cpu and some corsair 3200 XMS3200C2 twinx? air cooled freezer 64.

Sorry if this a suck eggs try question for you...

but are you dropping the HT multi, setting a ram divider to keep the DDR@400 etc?

Associate
No I didnt drop the HT multi,or set a ram divider,or change any voltages i really am going to have to get more gemmed up on this.I just wanted to know roughly what i should be able to achieve with this board and cpu.

Soldato
Running at 1:1, made sure VDIMM was set to the RAM's rated volts, Set PCI locked to 33.33Mhz, Set PCI-E to 100mhz, slackened timings slightly, 4 x HT & VCore up. Try to not use Auto for all voltages :)

Associate
subzero said:
No I didnt drop the HT multi,or set a ram divider,or change any voltages i really am going to have to get more gemmed up on this.I just wanted to know roughly what i should be able to achieve with this board and cpu.

Hi, best bet is to read the Overclocking FAQ in the Overclocking forum and the memory FAQ in the memory forum, the two together should get you on the right track.

It also explains stuff far better than I can! ;)

Back
Top Bottom