**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Soldato
Does anybody know if this board works with the NeoPower 480w PSU? (With regards to the 24-pin connection business).

The PSU is v2.0, but I'm currently running it on my board which is 20-pin I believe. How do I make it work on this new board? :o

Thanks!!

Soldato
If the PSU is a ATX2.0, it should have an adaptor or add on plug for the 24 pin connection.
The asus board does have a molex plug on board in case you havent got a 24 pin plug for power.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm running this board inside a Sonata II case and was wondering if the plastic air duct for the cpu that comes with this case is likely to cause problems with the temperature of the chipset at all? It just seems to me that because the duct is such a big obstacle to airflow in the case, the rest of the components may not be kept as cool as they should? Would I be better off removing the duct altogether?

Also, in the BIOS is the motherboard temp the same thing as the chipset temp? Because it feels extremely hot to the touch and I don't want it to be running hotter than it should. Currently the m/board temp sits at around 42 degrees when I check in the BIOS after the machine has been used for an hour or two, but I don't know if this is the temp for the chipset or the board in general? I am not into overclocking and have no idea what reasonable temps are, but equally I want everything running at the lowest temp possible, so that I know it's all running well.

In case it's needed, other spec is: San Diego 3700, 2 x 1GB sticks of GeiL Value RAM, a 256MB Leadtek 6800GT, 1 WD Raptor and a Maxtor 120GB SATA.

Really appreciate any help, thanks :)

Soldato
Vogon said:
The asus board does have a molex plug on board in case you havent got a 24 pin plug for power.

Ah right, I thought this was for if you had 2x gfx cards? Just looked in my case and saw that I'm running it with the 24 -> 20 pin adapter. Looks like it'll be ok... stupid me! :rolleyes:

Cheers!!

Soldato
AshM, I would say its a little high, but it depends on your ambient temps too ... ATM my mobo/chipset (I believe its the same thing) temp is 36.
As for ducting, well I would imagine the cpu cooler would also help the chipset, as air movement would help, being as the heatpipe radiator is up next to the cpu slot.
I am running the CPU with the stock cooler, and at idle chipset and cpu are reported as 36.
If I were you, I would remove the ducting and let see if it lowers temps, you can always replace it if it doesn't help :)

Soldato
Chipset temp here is 31c at the moment. I've got an Akasa 62 Eclipse case with both 120mm fans fitted (front intake and rear exhaust).

I've also got a SD 3700+ fitted but I am using the Artic Freezer 64 cooler so I haven't got the cases supplied extractor duct fitted (wouldn't fit).

I guess if you have a decent airflow in the case, the heatpipe cooler should be lower than 42c. Try fitting a front intake if you haven't already, or checking that nothing is blocking the heatsink at the top of the heatpipe at the rear of the case (the duct probably does get in the way of any rear exhaust fan).

Associate
Ok guys, thanks for the advice, I will remove the duct and give that a try, I also need to buy another fan to sit on the hard drive mountings to blow air towards the motherboard yet, but will do that also.

The room that the system is in is quite cool, but it is inside a desk cabinet (albeit with the back removed) so I suppose that doesn't help.

Anyways, I will try it out and report back in case anyone wants to know.

Thanks again ;)

Associate
I'm considering getting this board for my new system, but I'm a little confused about the connectors available.

I gather that primarily it's designed for SATA, and I can easily find SATA hard drives. However I'll also have, in addition, two dvd drives which presumably are IDE based, a 1.44mb disk drive, and possibly one older IDE hard drive. How would those components be connected?

Associate
ClubCX, the board still has two IDE connections and a floppy connector, so you shouldn't have any probs attaching those as well, the board also comes with the necessary cables to connect them all.

Just in case anyone was wondering how much difference the air duct on the Sonata II case was making, I removed it and added an Akasa 120mm ultra quiet fan to the front fan mount, and the temp in my unit has dropped considerably for both CPU and motherboard, down from 42c to 33c for the mobo, and from 38/39c to 35c for the CPU :D

Soldato
AshM said:
Just in case anyone was wondering how much difference the air duct on the Sonata II case was making, I removed it and added an Akasa 120mm ultra quiet fan to the front fan mount, and the temp in my unit has dropped considerably for both CPU and motherboard, down from 42c to 33c for the mobo, and from 38/39c to 35c for the CPU :D

Much better.

ClubCX said:
I gather that primarily it's designed for SATA, and I can easily find SATA hard drives. However I'll also have, in addition, two dvd drives which presumably are IDE based, a 1.44mb disk drive, and possibly one older IDE hard drive. How would those components be connected?

As AshM has said, there are 2 IDE and 1 Floppy connections on the board (so upto 4 IDE Master/Slave). You can buy IDE to SATA convertors if you want to use more IDE drives but unfortunately OcUK don't sell them and we can't mention competitors here.

Soldato
AshM said:
Hi all,

I'm running this board inside a Sonata II case and was wondering if the plastic air duct for the cpu that comes with this case is likely to cause problems with the temperature of the chipset at all? It just seems to me that because the duct is such a big obstacle to airflow in the case, the rest of the components may not be kept as cool as they should? Would I be better off removing the duct altogether?

Also, in the BIOS is the motherboard temp the same thing as the chipset temp? Because it feels extremely hot to the touch and I don't want it to be running hotter than it should. Currently the m/board temp sits at around 42 degrees when I check in the BIOS after the machine has been used for an hour or two, but I don't know if this is the temp for the chipset or the board in general? I am not into overclocking and have no idea what reasonable temps are, but equally I want everything running at the lowest temp possible, so that I know it's all running well.

In case it's needed, other spec is: San Diego 3700, 2 x 1GB sticks of GeiL Value RAM, a 256MB Leadtek 6800GT, 1 WD Raptor and a Maxtor 120GB SATA.

Really appreciate any help, thanks :)

Hi m8 i Have same case take that duct out pile of rubbish to be honest your temps will rise really high i have the 120mm running at the back and purchase 120mm Vantec fan for front my Spec is:

Amd Athlon Daul Core 4400+ runs at 29-30 degrees (clocked at 2.4ghz)
ASUS A8N Sli premium running curently at 34 degrees
2gb Corsair 3200
Leadtek 7800gtx 45 -46 degrees idle

You also might wanna take all the pci slots out just to give it some more airflow. Also when you remove the duct remove the whole lot even black box on case as it gives abit more airflow then you should have some happy temps and a happy pc :)

Associate
KevMarks said:
Just wondering if these boards will work ok on a 20 pin power connector when not in SLI mode?

I have heard people say they can be used with just a 20 pin atx power connector if you are not running two graphics cards.

Associate
subzero said:
I have heard people say they can be used with just a 20 pin atx power connector if you are not running two graphics cards.
Considering this motherboard is very similar to the Deluxe model, it should be alright to run it with a 20pin atx connector and if needed, plug a molex into the connector by the pci-express slot which makes up for the absence of the extra four pins on the atx connector.

Associate
I thought the EZ-Plug think was to supply power to the 6 pin connector on the PCI-e graphics card direct from the motherboard? i.e to take power from rather than to put power in?

Back
Top Bottom