**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Associate
KevMarks said:
I thought the EZ-Plug think was to supply power to the 6 pin connector on the PCI-e graphics card direct from the motherboard? i.e to take power from rather than to put power in?
Taken from the Asus site:
"The connector is an ASUS patented feature called EZ Plug. It serves as a dedicated power source for PCI Express devices.
Benefits of the connector:

- Enhance system stability: Dedicated power support for the high power consumptions of the VGA cards.
- Flexibility: Users don't need to buy a 24-pin PSU when they setup a SLI system. A high-wattage 20-pin PSU will work just fine.
- Compatibility: The dedicated power support for PCIvExpress slots preserves the integrity of power signal, and upholds the compatibility of PCI Express and PCI devices."

Associate
I agree it is a very nice board, I have bought the basic A8N-SLi none premium none deluxe. The only gripes I have are the power connector being right next to the IDE and floppy connectors which makes wiring quite tight around there. The heatsink on the chipset does not look that good. Other than that everything is fine. Not tried overclocking it yet.

Associate
to all - just received this mail back from asus support regarding mounting the board in an inverted case (my lian li v1000 to be specific)

To:[email protected]
Date:2005-08-12 22:39:20

Thank you for contacting Asus United KingdomTechnical Support.

There is an issue when using this case, I am afraid it will have to be placed in another chassis to avoid the overheating issue.

Regards

Asus UK Technical Support

Great support these guys offer !

Associate
What are most peoples clocks with this board like?

Have a 3700 with corsair 4400 and can only get 260*10.5 @ 2.5,3,3,5 1T out of it. The memory only runs stable at 2.65v (2.7v and it fails). Have tried a different 3700 chip and different pair of 4400 sticks but still no change. This is on 400mhz divider (1:1) and with the HT on 4x. CPU on max volts (1.550). Temps are 30 for cpu and 34 for chipset.

Chipset volts 1.6
HT volts 1.25v

Does anyone know what the last two settings are about in cpu interface. (4G memory)

Also loads of you seem to have probs with the chipset temps. I put a ys-tech silent 80mm fan blowing directly onto northbridge and it really helped. Going to stick a Zalman northbridge cooler on top of the asus northbridge as well soon - will post up how it goes

Soldato
ted34 said:
What are most peoples clocks with this board like?

Have a 3700 with corsair 4400 and can only get 260*10.5 @ 2.5,3,3,5 1T out of it. The memory only runs stable at 2.65v (2.7v and it fails). Have tried a different 3700 chip and different pair of 4400 sticks but still no change. This is on 400mhz divider (1:1) and with the HT on 4x.

For above 250 you might be better off with HTT at 3x.

Associate
Hi. Earlier today i picked up a A8N-SLI Premium mobo, A64 4000 cpu and XFX 7800gtx gfx card :D and i have a question before i build it up in the morning.

I will be doing a fresh install of XP home sp1a and then install sp2 afterwards. But the mobo does not come with a sata driver floppy, so i browsed the asus support cd for them and i have two options, either create a nvidia or sil-image sata driver floppy. I wont be running raid yet. Just the one sata drive till finances allow an additional drive, so basically which should i use? The sil image 3114 (red plug) or the nvidia (black plug) controller for my single sata drive?

Last edited:
Soldato
craigjarvis said:
I will be doing a fresh install of xp home sp1a and then install sp2 afterwards.

Why not slipstream SP2 into your SP1 cd and burn a new SP2 disc. Try this tool:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1092632287/1

But the mobo does not come with a sata driver floppy, so i browsed the asus support cd for them and i have two options, either create a nvidia or sil image disk, i wont be running raid just the one sata drive till finances allow an additional drive, so basically which should i use? The sil image 3114 (red plug) or the nvidia (black plug) controller for my single sata drive?

I'm running my single drive off of the nvidia sata. Just use the image creator and make a floppy for the drivers.

Soldato
To be honest I can't remember if I used a driver when installing XP or not. I did however install the raid driver tool afterwards as I do intend to use the other sata ports later.

Back
Top Bottom