**Official Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE Thread**

Soldato
Quick question for you gents: I have an Opteron 165 (or possibly a 170) and OCZ PC4000 Platinum RAM. I'd really like to run the Opty at 267 (2.41GHz) and see if I can get the RAM running at 1:1 with some tight timings - should need around 2.7V to do so.

Reckon the Deluxe will get me there?

Man of Honour
no problem what so ever. My old 165 was running at 289x9. Dunno about 1:1 though, that all depends on your OCZ sticks and what timings you intend on running. You can put upto 3.2v through the memory and 1.62vcore through your cpu so the motherboard wont hold you back.

Man of Honour
The Jet said:
I reckon so man, that Opty should get over 2.8GHz dependant on stepping. :D

Try 2.7volts on the memory @ 3-3-2-5 & 250x11 on the CPU @ 1.5vcore.

165 have a max 9x multiplier...170's have a 10x...or am i missing something?

Soldato
Thanks for the prompt reply guys. Wasn't expecting an immediate answer!

It's either the Deluxe or the DFI Expert, but the DFI seems scary where as the Asus seems slightly more approachable.

Are there any problems with dual-slot cards and large heatsinks interfering with the heatpipes? I've got a X1800XT and a Freezer 64 Pro.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have a big typhoon and a 512mb GTX...2 of the biggest heatsinks you will find on repective hardware and I have no clearance issues with them. The one problem with clearence I have is that my 3500ll's will not fit in slots A1+b1 with the typhoon without the 3500's tall HS hitting the heatpipes on the typhoon. You should be fine with the freezer though.

*edit

Just realised your talking about the heatpipes on the board...no you won't have a problem with them at all.

Associate
okimanoob said:
:) Hi does anyone know if the Scythe Ninja Plus fits the A8N32 ?
Used to use a Thermalright XP-120 but that was tight with the cooling pipes at I/O, so currently using stock fx57 cooler.
The Ninja seems to highly thought of in these forums for performance+noiseless.
How does it compare with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro64 in terms of performance/compatability ?

:D

Any one ? :D

Associate
I've been messing around with the memory for a while, and seem to have found the overall sweetspot for this system. I had to lower the HTT slightly to 275, run the CPU on the maximum 10x multiplier (=2750MHz), run the memory (XMS3500LL) on the 166MHz (5:6) divider (=229MHz), pump 2.7v through it and set the timings to the 218MHz rated 2-3-2-6-1T.

Some longer term stability testing to be done, but it seems to run stable.

Don't think there is much more I can do - the CPU won't clock past 2.8GHz without upping the core, and it's running hot (52C under load) already (something I'll need to investigate a bit further).

Associate
Boah said:
I've been messing around with the memory for a while, and seem to have found the overall sweetspot for this system. I had to lower the HTT slightly to 275, run the CPU on the maximum 10x multiplier (=2750MHz), run the memory (XMS3500LL) on the 166MHz (5:6) divider (=229MHz), pump 2.7v through it and set the timings to the 218MHz rated 2-3-2-6-1T.

Some longer term stability testing to be done, but it seems to run stable.

Don't think there is much more I can do - the CPU won't clock past 2.8GHz without upping the core, and it's running hot (52C under load) already (something I'll need to investigate a bit further).

Hi

Here's the best advice for all the numerous problems associated with this motherboard...

F##k it off, place on Ebay and replace with an ABit AN8 32X board. It absolutely wipes the floor with the Asus effort in every way possible...

31 degrees full load CPU temp anyone?

Soldato
OP
XXXCorps said:
Hi

Here's the best advice for all the numerous problems associated with this motherboard...

F##k it off, place on Ebay and replace with an ABit AN8 32X board. It absolutely wipes the floor with the Asus effort in every way possible...

Awwww, poor XXXCorps. You gave up on the Asus, fair enough, but move on man, no need to slate it because you couldn't fix your issues. a lot of people love the mobo and 31C load seems hardly believable for any A64 at a respectable clock. Screenies?

I for one can vouch for the Asus board wholeheartedly. It takes some TLC, but it gets a full hells yeah from this corner. :D

Man of Honour
XXXCorps said:
Hi

I take it thats with the onboard temp probes that are renound for being faulty with the Abit?

Man of Honour
We have the same stepping and batch boah along with the same CPU cooler. My load temps are 47c with 1.44vcore (mb temp of 36c). I use an speed adjustable fan instead of the stock one that came with the BT and it dropped my cpu temps 5c. It hasn't made the blindest difference to my OC though.

Have you got 2.8 stable i.e 12hrs dual prime? Cant seem to get 2.8 stable no matter what I do. :(

Associate
The Jet said:
Awwww, poor XXXCorps. You gave up on the Asus, fair enough, but move on man, no need to slate it because you couldn't fix your issues. a lot of people love the mobo and 31C load seems hardly believable for any A64 at a respectable clock. Screenies?

I for one can vouch for the Asus board wholeheartedly. It takes some TLC, but it gets a full hells yeah from this corner. :D

Hi

Look, you misunderstand, I'm not slating the Asus board at all. In theory it's a great motherboard but I just feel certain aspects of it's design were overlooked in the haste to be first to market with a dual x16 bandwidth platform; supremely the temp issues. I think other manufacturers such as Abit and MSI for example have taken a somewhat back seat to see how the performance of the Asus board panned out and address the issues associated with it to ensure their product didn't suffer the same fate.

As I've stated earlier I've been working with the board for over 3 months and no novice to tweaking systems but it has never quite measured up to its full potential in my mind that's all; A8N SLI Premium it is not.

Really, don't thing that I'm slagging anyone off for buying a potentially outstanding motherboard, I'm just offering a few views is all.

(Regarding a temp screenshot; standby)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well if you wish to be more specific, your best advice is to, "**** it off, place on Ebay and replace with an ABit AN8 32X board." I think you'll find there is no misunderstanding with my interpretation of slating a product off at all. Be more thorough with such brash statements next time to avoid such replies. :D

Watch your language.

Otacon

Back
Top Bottom