**- Official Asus P5K Thread -**

Soldato
As some of you may know I was really disapointed to find out my P5K barley reached 333mhz FSB by the skin of its teeth.

Well i updated BIOS to 902 and all i can say is. wow :)

Plopped it up to 375mhz (giving me 3ghz on my E2140) and it didn't even think twice about it.

The jumperfree section of the BIOS is quite a bit better than it was as well.

When i can be bothered I'll pop the multi on the CPU to 6x and see how high I can get the FSB

Associate
Ive got the P5K SE and Ive just noticed whilst setting it up that it doesnt allow me to set the SATA configuration to AHCI.. (Only IDE)

Does anyone know if this is because the SE doesnt support this? Or can I update drivers to enable this feature?

Associate
Originally posted this on the Overclocking thread with no luck so thought I would try here.

I have a P5KC system running well at 3.22GHz with a matched pair of Ballistic PC2-8500 at 920MHz. However, CPU-Z always shows the memory as Dual Channel Asymmetric rather than Symmetric. Timings are 5.0-5-5-16 at 2.2v. Everything is rock solid. Does anyone know why this might be and whether this is telling me that I have not yet optimised my memory setup? I am using the black sockets on a P5KC with BIOS 903 at the moment. I see many other screen dumps of people with Symmetric dual channel operation. My BIOS says Dual Channel Interleaved as it posts which I assume means normal Dual Channel.
Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or is this a CPU-Z funny?

Thanks

Soldato
"Originally posted this on the Overclocking thread with no luck so thought I would try here.

I have a P5KC system running well at 3.22GHz with a matched pair of Ballistic PC2-8500 at 920MHz. However, CPU-Z always shows the memory as Dual Channel Asymmetric rather than Symmetric. Timings are 5.0-5-5-16 at 2.2v. Everything is rock solid. Does anyone know why this might be and whether this is telling me that I have not yet optimised my memory setup? I am using the black sockets on a P5KC with BIOS 903 at the moment. I see many other screen dumps of people with Symmetric dual channel operation. My BIOS says Dual Channel Interleaved as it posts which I assume means normal Dual Channel.
Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or is this a CPU-Z funny?

Thanks"

At work now so can't check what my CPU-Z shows. Will check when i get home.

Another P5KC bios 1001 question :)

Is it any good or shall i stay with 0903?

Associate
What settings are everyone using there p5k premium with an e8400 then ? ive just got the e8400 and updated to the latest bios so im not sure what all these settings do now.

Associate
What settings are everyone using there p5k premium with an e8400 then ? ive just got the e8400 and updated to the latest bios so im not sure what all these settings do now.

I worked this out when I flashed to the new 0504 premium bios....

should help you

Ok, just compared 0204 and 0402 to the new 0504 bios:....

-CPU Voltage Reference is now called CPU GTL Voltage Reference
-NB Voltage Reference is now called NB GTL Voltage Reference
-CPU Voltage Damper is now called Load-Line Calibration

It seems the new P5K Premium bios is using the Maximus equivalent terms, NO bios settings have been lost as far as i can see, they have just moved around and a few have different names.

Going to see how well it overclocks now.

Soldato
Any idea why 4gb is slightly slower than 2gb?

Here's a bench with 2gb and it scores better, even running a few mhz slower than the 4gb bench (that you can see if you scroll up this page)

cachememhm5.png

Associate
Actually whats the difference between P5K Deluxe and the P5K Premium?

The Premium is a more refined board. Asus have removed the mosfets which were attached to the back of the Deluxe board and relocated them to the top, which means the Premium should run cooler. The Premium uses an 8 layer PCB, TRIO 1R1 Inductors and Nikos mosfets, these features are exclusive to the Premium.

Also worth noting the ps2 mouse port has been replaced by two extra USB ports.

The Asus P5k Premium Black Pearl edition comes with blower fans that attach to the mosfet heatsinks to provide additional cooling when you are watercooling.

Associate
the p5k-e is reporting very high cpu temps (78c with coretemp) on a q6600@3000 (the first ones that came out)
using a probe thermomemeter and inserting it inside the hole in the scythe ninja, i got a 46c reading ( thats not on the cpu itself, its on the thing that sits on the cpu)
the northbridge heatsink is giving me 77c on the fins.
i am using 0503 bios.
what could be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom