**- Official Asus P5K Thread -**

Soldato
Anyone using the P5K premium able to use use the graphic or sound settings on the onboard audio, i gave up and put my x-fi back in, but would like to know how ?

Associate
the p5k-e is reporting very high cpu temps (78c with coretemp) on a q6600@3000 (the first ones that came out)
using a probe thermomemeter and inserting it inside the hole in the scythe ninja, i got a 46c reading ( thats not on the cpu itself, its on the thing that sits on the cpu)
the northbridge heatsink is giving me 77c on the fins.
i am using 0503 bios.
what could be wrong?

Poor case airflow?

Associate
Anyone using the P5K premium able to use use the graphic or sound settings on the onboard audio, i gave up and put my x-fi back in, but would like to know how ?

Are you talking about the Realtek HD Audio panel??

Edit: sorry that was my old P5N-E audio, the premium P5K uses an Analogue devices onboard audio and the control panel is called soundMAX, is that what you are talking about?

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted this on the Overclocking thread with no luck so thought I would try here.

I have a P5KC system running well at 3.22GHz with a matched pair of Ballistic PC2-8500 at 920MHz. However, CPU-Z always shows the memory as Dual Channel Asymmetric rather than Symmetric. Timings are 5.0-5-5-16 at 2.2v. Everything is rock solid. Does anyone know why this might be and whether this is telling me that I have not yet optimised my memory setup? I am using the black sockets on a P5KC with BIOS 903 at the moment. I see many other screen dumps of people with Symmetric dual channel operation. My BIOS says Dual Channel Interleaved as it posts which I assume means normal Dual Channel.
Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or is this a CPU-Z funny?

Thanks

theoldtannery my CPU-Z shows Asymmetric too. :confused: To tell you the thruth i've no idea what it means but as long as my system run stable i dont realy care. =D

Anyone know what it means tho?

Associate
theoldtannery my CPU-Z shows Asymmetric too. :confused: To tell you the thruth i've no idea what it means but as long as my system run stable i dont realy care. =D

Anyone know what it means tho?

Thanks for checking. Asymmetric is to do with the size or type of memory in the slots and should mean that the modules are not the same. In my case (and yours probably) they are identically matched pairs and so should be recognised as Symmetric. If they are not, I am guessing that access to them may be altered in some way and may not be as efficient as it could be as the bios will handle their access on a false assumption. What was worrying me was the fact that being wrongly identified might be an indication of something else wrong. On the other hand it could simply be a bug in CPU-Z.

no one else come across this on this board?

Phil

Associate
Associate
Associate
Must be a bug in cpuz then. As long as the bios detects it correctly then it should be ok.

I wonder if there's another way of checking it in windows?

Well, managed to get it to show Symmetric!!

Started machine up as normal, ran CPU-Z and it shows Asymmetric. Leave CPU-Z open on memory tab and then run up Everest Ultimate. Still shows asymmetric. Run cache and memeory benchmark and it immediately swaps to Symmetric and then stays there ever after. Looks like something that the benchmark does makes the system recognise the correct mode or indeed puts it into the correct mode. Repeated a couple of times with same result. Tried the same but just running up PC Wizard 2008 toolset and without actually running anything it also switched CPU-Z to symmetric. PC Wizard does take a few seconds to come up and so it is probably examining the system during that time and also manages to make the system recognise the correct status.

So, what is this telling me?? CPU-Z seems to respond to how the system is set up but does it get this status from somewhere or does it determinie it itself. The former would imply the system is getting it wrong, the latter that CPU-Z is getting it wrong.

Comments?

Phil

Associate
please help!

Im just installing my asus p5k-e wifi and are puzzled by the motherboard power socket - it is 8 pin but has a black plastic cap over the four left hand pins - my psu (corsair 620W modular) has a 8 pin and a 4 pin power lead for the mobo (the leads that are not unplugable from the psu) and i dont know which to use? Ive got a E2200 intel dual core in there. Also, if I can use the six pin, can I use the 4 pin for my 8800GT? Or am I better off using a modular pci-e power cable for it?

many thanks!

Soldato
please help!

Im just installing my asus p5k-e wifi and are puzzled by the motherboard power socket - it is 8 pin but has a black plastic cap over the four left hand pins - my psu (corsair 620W modular) has a 8 pin and a 4 pin power lead for the mobo (the leads that are not unplugable from the psu) and i dont know which to use? Ive got a E2200 intel dual core in there. Also, if I can use the six pin, can I use the 4 pin for my 8800GT? Or am I better off using a modular pci-e power cable for it?

many thanks!

Ideally, you need to remove the black plastic cap and use an 8 pin cpu power connector. Your psu should have a dedicated connector for this and should be labelled as such and will be the ones which are not unplugable. They are 4 yellow and 4 black wires i think. It may appear to be an 8 pin one that can be two 4 pin connectors.

Use a modular PCI-E cable for your 8800GT.

I hope that makes sense!!

Associate
Hay guys

I just bought the P5ke Deluxe and I installed everything until it was the DVD and the DVD rw turn. I don't see a secondary IDE slot for the board :eek: I have a ATA hard drives that pops in the Pri slot and theres no slot for the CDs.

Am I doomed, help guys :(

Soldato
Hay guys

I just bought the P5ke Deluxe and I installed everything until it was the DVD and the DVD rw turn. I don't see a secondary IDE slot for the board :eek: I have a ATA hard drives that pops in the Pri slot and theres no slot for the CDs.

Am I doomed, help guys :(

You can have a max of two devices on the Pri slot. If you look around you will find that almost all new boards are like this

Associate
Ow man, I am a old schooler, I am actually upgrading from Asus P4P800 :o to this P5Ke Deluxe.

I am actually having a bit of trouple with this new rig. I have Asus P5Ke Deluxe, Intel Quad core 2.4ghz, 2gb crusial ddr2 rams and a BFG 8800gtx oc2. I have a new 500w psu for the Cosmos 1000 case. The thing isn't even powering up :eek:

Back
Top Bottom