**- Official Asus P5K Thread -**

Associate
Noticed any speed improvements or anything to make it worthwhile? Should I do it?

not seen anything different as yet but not tried a game, just about to :eek:
Annoyingly it still hangs at the windows screen if I do a restart after loading a driver, I have to turn off the PC & then back on again & then it loads windows as normal, read of others with this problem ( XP32)

EDIT: just tried GTAIV & the sound is borked, using soundmax onboard & it's enabled in bios,

It's looping sound of horns & tyre noise, gonna try reinstalling the sound driver or failing that plug my Audigy back in

Last edited:
Associate
different temp readings

just overclocked my pk5e to 3 gig and been checking the temps well asus a1 suite and asus pc probe are giving me the exact same temp readings but if i use core temp it gives me an 11 per cent higher reading than pc probe and a1 suite can anyone tell me which would be the one to rely on

Associate
Hi,

I realise everyone has moved on from this board - it's aincent. However I'm trying to ressurrect a PC I built for audio production.

I have an issue with RAM voltage / timings. When the PC boots up with a cleared CMOS I can access BIOS etc and set clock / defaults, however from then on the mobo won't post. Fans spin up for 6 seconds then down for 4, repeat ad nauseum.

My RAM is two x 2GB OCZ PC2-8500.

I'm happy to go through a few attempts at getting the timing right, and disabling the auto overclock etc however my first problem is how to clear CMOS?

The ONLY way I can successfully clear cmos is remove the battery, short the clear rtc jumper and wait 12 hours. I need a quicker way to clear CMOS in order to investigate what is a stable set of timings / voltages etc.

The machine always boots up sucessfully after a long period, and as soon as I save bios it gets stuck in the no-POST fan up/down loop.

Any suggestions appreciated - don't have cash to buy any new components yet. Have completely stripped the machine apart, cleaned everything, applied new thermal paste, checked with other slower RAM, different PSU, reseated everything. It's sitting on my bench with just graphics card and memory & cpu installed.

I'm assuming has to be corrupt settings in CMOS. There has to be an easier way of resetting things other than going to bed!

thanks!

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Hi,

I realise everyone has moved on from this board - it's aincent. However I'm trying to ressurrect a PC I built for audio production.

I have an issue with RAM voltage / timings. When the PC boots up with a cleared CMOS I can access BIOS etc and set clock / defaults, however from then on the mobo won't post. Fans spin up for 6 seconds then down for 4, repeat ad nauseum.

My RAM is two x 2GB OCZ PC2-8500.

I'm happy to go through a few attempts at getting the timing right, and disabling the auto overclock etc however my first problem is how to clear CMOS?

The ONLY way I can successfully clear cmos is remove the battery, short the clear rtc jumper and wait 12 hours. I need a quicker way to clear CMOS in order to investigate what is a stable set of timings / voltages etc.

The machine always boots up sucessfully after a long period, and as soon as I save bios it gets stuck in the no-POST fan up/down loop.

Any suggestions appreciated - don't have cash to buy any new components yet. Have completely stripped the machine apart, cleaned everything, applied new thermal paste, checked with other slower RAM, different PSU, reseated everything. It's sitting on my bench with just graphics card and memory & cpu installed.

I'm assuming has to be corrupt settings in CMOS. There has to be an easier way of resetting things other than going to bed!

thanks!
Have you tried replacing the battery? It’s bound to be pretty dead after all these years. Also tried all memory slots with just a single stick?

Associate
Hi - yes, brand new battery, and tried different sticks of ram.

But the issue is more basic. I just can't get CMOS to clear without waiting ages. Something must be up with the shorting process, I'm considering the next time I boot to flash the bios from USB, perhaps that will improve the situation.

Back
Top Bottom