*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
2015 Thread
2016 Thread

So it's a nice dry, sunny day here north of the border so I decided it'd be a good day to get the smoker out and get some practice in for the summer! Sadly I hadn't cleaned my BBQ since last year but it wasn't as bad as I feared - 20 mins and all sorted!

VzkaVSE.jpg mADF9DN.jpg

The smoker in its Sunday best and naked!

axN93yP.jpg

2.3kg Pork Shoulder. Dry rub underneath, oil and salt on top

bglZCMq.jpg

A quick peek around 2pm (~6 hours in) while I grabbed the chicken off the grill. Just waiting for serving time now, 6.30pm or so and sitting at 171F right now! Around about a 10 hour cook today! Results to follow! :D

What do you have in mind for this year? :)

Soldato
OP
The weather did me over last year so any day it's dry and calm I plan on grilling something! Probably low and slow until I get some smaller charcoal baskets for the weber kettle!

Soldato
I plan on using mine load this year and suspect a few purchases along the way - used it 24/25th December so plan to be going all year!

I already fancy the Thermoworks Smoke - its a good job there is no UK supplier yet or I would have one, not that there is anything wrong with my Maverick!

Soldato
OP
bxgvbgw.jpg ByEgD5v.jpg

The finished product and then plated with some veg! :)

Despite constant 225F+ for 6+ hours the meat still only hit 171F on the inside. Sliceable but not suitable for pulling! Still tasted alright though! :)

Associate
I'll have a joint of beef on the BBQ this Sunday which should hopefully be lovely :). I also plan to slow cook a joint of lamb in the next few weeks, so looking for suggestions on the best joint (leg, saddle, leg roll, shoulder.....) and seasoning to use. Also, any recommendations of good online suppliers of lamb? I used to use Turner & George who were great but they changed their delivery times last year and they no longer work for me :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in the market for a bullet smoker this year, been looking at the Pro Q's but not sure which model to go for as they seem to have changed the range a little having just had a quick look on their site.

Man of Honour
Funnily enough I said to my wife let's BBQ this weekend. This is the first christmas in a few years I haven't done christmas lunch on the bbq. Will be coming back into play next year.

I think this year I'm going to go against everything I have stood by and get a gas bbq too. Not to replace the kettle but as well as.

I bought a gas bbq over the summer at my holiday home and love the immediacy and convenience.

Associate
Funnily enough I said to my wife let's BBQ this weekend. This is the first christmas in a few years I haven't done christmas lunch on the bbq. Will be coming back into play next year.

I think this year I'm going to go against everything I have stood by and get a gas bbq too. Not to replace the kettle but as well as.

I bought a gas bbq over the summer at my holiday home and love the immediacy and convenience.

It goes against what I stand for too buuuuut I think I might find a cheapy one so I can do some grilling after work in the evenings rather than cooker etc.

Any in mind?

Soldato

I used my gas BBQ once last year when we had loads round and needed the room - it was awful next to the Weber, never again.

I actually find with a chimney starter I'm ready to go quicker using charcoal than gas and have loads more temp control - I have always been a fan of gas but fully converted to the ways of charcoal!

What I do need is a separate smoker, tempted to move the gas bbq on and get a WSM or similar.

Man of Honour
I've been using weber kettles since the mid 90s so never planning on stopping. I was thinking of getting something along the lines of a weber genesis 330 as a gas option. I would want 3 burners to be able to do indirect.

To be perfectly honest it is probably the desire to have a new gadget more than anything else!

Soldato
I've been using weber kettles since the mid 90s so never planning on stopping. I was thinking of getting something along the lines of a weber genesis 330 as a gas option. I would want 3 burners to be able to do indirect.

To be perfectly honest it is probably the desire to have a new gadget more than anything else!

I suffer the same issue!

I am new to a decent BBQ like a Weber so put up with some poor charcoal BBQs and no easy lighting system like a chimney so when I got a decent gas BBQ I was pretty set that gas tasted as good and was just easier but since getting the Weber I don't think either point is true!

Sure, gas over lava rocks with a lid will do a burger pretty much the same as charcoal but low and slow and indirect is a different beast, charcoal for me is in a different league - I find gas to be more like a fan oven so while it does a good job I have had much better results from the Weber - everything just seems to be moister and I get a nicer smoke in general. I also love the slow n sear in the Weber - gas can't get anywhere near charcoal for a steak as temp is way higher!

Lid on gas BBQ really was a game changer for me but then the Weber has changed the game again!

Man of Honour
I think it terms of steak and searing and so on, on better gas bbqs with sear stations you can get the temps you need. I prefer steak finished in a pan for the heat anyway so don't really bbq them. Agreed on the rest, there's nothing better than a kettle for many things and my two would still be in play.

Back
Top Bottom