*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
I'd smoked a pork butt last weekend and also had some left over ribs from the same cook so decided to make a BBQ feast for me and the missus last night. The rind from the pork butt made some awesome crackling and I threw on a couple cheesey hot dogs and vortex chicken along with some homemade slaw for good measure. :D

vhFk284h.jpg

Soldato
Anyone on here got an offset barrel smoker?
I'm looking at getting one of these one the go, been using a gas bbq with lavarocks for doing a load of indirect smoking recently and would like to make the jump to an offset one to give me options.
Any recommendations? As far as I can see the cheapest ones can be leaky, so what's the sweet spot between cost and quality?!

Soldato
Also looking for some advice for the summer. Looking to buy a nice BBQ for my parents (as we go over there for BBQs)

I take it something like this would be the 'do everything' BBQ?

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/17401004.html

I'm also quite intrigued by the smoking/long cooking aspect of it too. I really like the idea of the smokey mountain slow cooker, but it seems to be very much a hobbyist kind of thing. If that BBQ mentioned can do a similar-ish thing, then it should do I reckon.

Soldato
For me, it's between the Weber master touch and the Kamado Joe Kettle. I'm intrigued by the ceramic fire box so it should have better heat retention.
Only issue, it's not released so no real world reviews.

Soldato
Also looking for some advice for the summer. Looking to buy a nice BBQ for my parents (as we go over there for BBQs)

I take it something like this would be the 'do everything' BBQ?

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/17401004.html

I'm also quite intrigued by the smoking/long cooking aspect of it too. I really like the idea of the smokey mountain slow cooker, but it seems to be very much a hobbyist kind of thing. If that BBQ mentioned can do a similar-ish thing, then it should do I reckon.

You won't be disappointed with the Master Touch, it's a great piece of kit. I started out with the Master Touch before going down the rabbit hole and buying the WSM to compliment it. You can however smoke perfectly well on the MT but it is definitely more involved and not as stable as the WSM. My MT sees much more use than my WSM and gets used most weeks, evenings or weekends.

Associate
Anyone on here got an offset barrel smoker?
I'm looking at getting one of these one the go, been using a gas bbq with lavarocks for doing a load of indirect smoking recently and would like to make the jump to an offset one to give me options.
Any recommendations? As far as I can see the cheapest ones can be leaky, so what's the sweet spot between cost and quality?!

Offsets are tricky, anything cheap (less than £500-600) and it’ll be leaky & poorly made with thin metal. Temperature and fuel management are also harder than other types of bbq.

Soldato
So I've definitely decided on the Weber Master-Touch GBS C-5750 but can't stretch to the premium model but read some reviews about the lid feature not being worth the value.

I can find this for around £275 to £282 on a few places. Hopefully be able to get it next month. Sooo excited but also clueless so will be here every week asking for advice hahah

Soldato
So I've definitely decided on the Weber Master-Touch GBS C-5750 but can't stretch to the premium model but read some reviews about the lid feature not being worth the value.

I can find this for around £275 to £282 on a few places. Hopefully be able to get it next month. Sooo excited but also clueless so will be here every week asking for advice hahah

I ordered the same model yesterday for €279 - hopefully it'll be here next week.

Soldato
Looking for a gas BBQ to replace my Weber Classic Kettle. Just want to get something that's quicker to use and not as smokey as charcoal, garden is really windy and smoke always causes an issue with the neighbours (I use a chimney and tried different charcoals too). It would be used mainly for 2 of us with friends coming round later when they're allowed to. Budget is about £400 but could go more for the right one. My Mrs would like a flat cooking plate if possible but not really seen any with this feature in the price bracket.

Associate
Looking for a gas BBQ to replace my Weber Classic Kettle. Just want to get something that's quicker to use and not as smokey as charcoal, garden is really windy and smoke always causes an issue with the neighbours (I use a chimney and tried different charcoals too). It would be used mainly for 2 of us with friends coming round later when they're allowed to. Budget is about £400 but could go more for the right one. My Mrs would like a flat cooking plate if possible but not really seen any with this feature in the price bracket.

I'd look at at least a 3 burner as it allows you to set a cool zone in the middle of 2 hot zones for even indirect cooking. I wouldn't worry about buying one with a griddle plate as there's lots of aftermarket options which you can just rest on the grills I use a procook reversible griddle on mine for doing smash burgers, eggs etc. For that budget I'd be looking at the broil king range, the Crown Classic 330 should be within your budget its got cast iron grates which are rare at this price and has a useful side burner as well.

Soldato
I'd look at at least a 3 burner as it allows you to set a cool zone in the middle of 2 hot zones for even indirect cooking. I wouldn't worry about buying one with a griddle plate as there's lots of aftermarket options which you can just rest on the grills I use a procook reversible griddle on mine for doing smash burgers, eggs etc. For that budget I'd be looking at the broil king range, the Crown Classic 330 should be within your budget its got cast iron grates which are rare at this price and has a useful side burner as well.
Thanks, my wife has been to the local garden centre and fell in love with the Weber Spirit II E-210 so she's pushing for that as it's her work bonus paying for it :)

Soldato
Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge any of the hybrid BBQs? I've been looking at the Char-Broil Gas2Coal 440 and thinking of buying one.

I'd like the option of having both (and either/or) gas and BBQ - gas for ease and BBQ when I've got a bit more time on my hands - and don't really want to buy separate BBQs. I've been looking through a few reviews of hybrids and this seems to rate quite well.

Soldato
Seasoning a BBQ?

My god when I buy our new one (master touch premium I think will be the one) I really need to up my BBQ game it seems!

I'm so used to chucking some charcoal in a half drum style 'bbq', waiting until it's hot enough and then cooking. That's it! I feel I'll be out of my depth quite quickly with the Weber, especially as I've seen all the different ways you can place the charcoal for different cooking styles/temps etc.....

I've never had a BBQ with a lid even! So I don't really know when you'd use that in the cooking process, or at all?

Back
Top Bottom