*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
It did rest for about 40 mins after taking it off the smoker. That was about the limit of my patience (and hunger!)

Can you over smoke ribs? If you left them on for hours and hours?

A whole chicken is the next plan. Apparently that should take about 2-3 hours. Sounds a bit short, but that's what most guides say.

Soldato
It did rest for about 40 mins after taking it off the smoker. That was about the limit of my patience (and hunger!)

Can you over smoke ribs? If you left them on for hours and hours?

A whole chicken is the next plan. Apparently that should take about 2-3 hours. Sounds a bit short, but that's what most guides say.
Certainly can oversmoke ribs, both in terms of texture and flavour. They have a huge surface area to volume ratio so easier to get an overpowering smoke flavour compared to bigger joints.

Texturewise everyone has a preference, some prefer a bit of bite in ribs, some much softer. I am in the middle but a couple of times when I've had them wrapped for maybe a bit too long I've wished they came out firmer.

As for chicken, same as most of the time with bbq it's about temp/texture rather than time. With chicken, texture is not something to go off, just whack a thermom in it and pull it once it gets to the temp you want. I'd imagine at 120c, most chickens should be done by 3 hours

Associate
Having moved house, now having a south west facing garden which is a sun trap for most of the day and well in to the evening, with my Mastertouch being in its eighth year, and with being mega busy with general life and such - I’ve gone for a change of tact that will hopefully allow me to do much more BBQing (usually a couple of times a week in to late Sept).

Just ordered a Weber Spirit E-320 along with. Smokey Mountain (just the 47cm).

Logic is I can use the Spirit for weekday grilling whereby I basically want to sit and cook outside without much prep and then use the Smokey Mountain for weekend BBQ without having to baby it like I did my kettle (yes, I know about the minion and snake experience as my many pork shoulders will attest).

Only question now is do I keep the kettle and forfeit the patio space for the odd charcoal grill - unsure.

Here’s to summer!

Finally arrived! Probably going to move the WSM to the other side of the table as realised I can't have one on without the other cover being off due to likely melting... :rolleyes:

hhQwkdE.jpg

And stocked for Summer

yj48jgw.jpg

Soldato
Finally arrived! Probably going to move the WSM to the other side of the table as realised I can't have one on without the other cover being off due to likely melting... :rolleyes:

And stocked for Summer
That does sound like a really sensible setup. Would be interested to hear in a few months how you feel about the switch to gas after using charcoal for so long.

Out of curiosity, what sort of 'babying' did your mastertouch need? I know the WSM is a 100% dedicated smoker, but interested to know specifically what the mastertouch needs to be as effective if you like.

Soldato
H1Vl9JL.jpg

I think this was the 4th time trying homemade pizza on the KJ, and the first time I felt like we nailed it. Alongside finally getting a pizza peel and using polenta as a 'lubricant', using this dough recipe was probably the biggest breakthrough

https://ooni.com/blogs/recipes/classic-pizza-dough

Nice firm crispy base and a little chew in the crust, easy enough to stretch out too without breaking, just right. Still doesn't look 100% like the neapolitan style, but it's exactly what I want from a pizza dough so I'm really happy.

The strange crusty bits are where I cut the dough into balls then left them uncovered for a little too long, no issue at all upon eating.

Kamado hit almost 800F at one point, you can't beat having it really bloody hot to get the cooking just right not to mention nice and fast to feed guests. Used some of the KJ big block that came for 'free' with the kamado, took a while to get up to temp but once it was there it was great. Think we cranked out 7 or 8 pizzas (only smallish ones, 4 adults and 2 kids) in about half an hour, had a bit of sun and a few beers too so it was great.

Soldato
Had my first BBQ of the year today for my birthday, having received a great meat box from my Dad from his local farm.

Nothing fancy, just heat and meat but everything was ace. Steak was immense, closely followed by the lamb skewers.

UZTs8gX.jpg

nuLd442.jpg

JHFh8on.jpg

pMjaEv4.jpg

bJN

bJN

Soldato
The few times I've done them I've wrapped in foil with a big knob of butter and a good heap of smoked paprika thrown in, works lovely!

Soldato

hhQwkdE.jpg

And stocked for Summer

yj48jgw.jpg

I've been looking at getting one of these actually. How is it in terms of quality? I would probably be keeping it under a car port anyway along with my BBQ.

Back
Top Bottom