*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Ermm was my first time, and had trouble keeping the temperature where it should so every 2hours my inkbird woke me up and had to go and get it back up to temperature.

But from looking at it after it having around 10hours it looks good, going to cut it up soon.

GrXpMcdl.jpg

Yes it was, some really interesting stuff on it to be honest fair few I want to give a whirl.

"Skewered: Recipes for Fire Food on Sticks from Around the World" is the title of it.

Looks good.

Fear of maintaining temp has been my blocker to doing it just yet haha :D

Whole bag of coal?

Associate
Looks good.

Fear of maintaining temp has been my blocker to doing it just yet haha :D

Whole bag of coal?

So I did 3/4 snake of briquettes around my weber, It possibly only got through around half of them and used the remaining for the BBQ today. So I would think it was 2 chimney starters of briquettes and it used 1 of them.

But it was a massive hit, and my god it tasted nice, was a bit like beef jerky but more meaty and juicy :D

nDLDTlFl.jpg

Soldato
So I did 3/4 snake of briquettes around my weber, It possibly only got through around half of them and used the remaining for the BBQ today. So I would think it was 2 chimney starters of briquettes and it used 1 of them.

But it was a massive hit, and my god it tasted nice, was a bit like beef jerky but more meaty and juicy :D

nDLDTlFl.jpg

That's great! Well done!

May I ask what brand coal - weber? :) I have some Heat Beads from the Range to use, I've found them pretty good for the price.

Associate
That's great! Well done!

May I ask what brand coal - weber? :) I have some Heat Beads from the Range to use, I've found them pretty good for the price.

Yep Weber briquettes, can easily buy them from Dobbies that is by me so it's handy and feel like they last a while so price isn't all that bad.

Soldato
Did a lovely leg of Lamb yesterday, seasoned with salt pepper rosemary and bit of paprika and had it in the Sous vide for 7 hours at 60c and then put it in the Kamado which I'd got to about 85c or so for 2.5 hours, it did bring the temp up to 63 by the end of the cook, gave it a few injections of marinade mid cook and came out amazing, probably on the wrongside of medium for me, but catering to guests so needs must, but it was still incredible.

uO1RjOS.jpg

RP8ZLCn.jpg

Soldato
Just put these on with some whisky chips:

rw4SM2f_d.webp

Associate
Bought one a little while, best thing I've ever bought for the BBQ, I use it in the kitchen to check the meats cooked - brilliant purchase
Yeah I think that and a chimney starter as well as a bbq with a lid and indirect cooking would get most people to cook much much better BBQ than they have had previously - maybe followed by a thermometer with couple of probes

Soldato
I used 35 briquettes yesterday and the main part I could cook stuff was about 20x20cm, spread them out and it just seemed like weak direct heat only good enough for it acting like an oven and not a girl.

For about 40cm wide part of BBQ do I need more briquettes?

Soldato
Master-Touch order finally placed, it should be here next week.

In the meantime, I need to sort some accessories:

Thermometer - Inkbird IBT-4XS - £46.59 on Amazon
Chimney Starter - Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter - £22.67 on wowbbq.co.uk
Firelighters - Weber Lighter Cubes - £3.48 on wowbbq.co.uk
Charcoal - Weber Premium Lumpwood 5KG - £10.49 on Amazon
Cover - Amazon Basics Kettle Grill Cover - £15.49 on Amazon
Gloves
Utensils
Cleaning brush

Anything obvious missing?

Soldato
Master-Touch order finally placed, it should be here next week.

In the meantime, I need to sort some accessories:

Thermometer - Inkbird IBT-4XS - £46.59 on Amazon
Chimney Starter - Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter - £22.67 on wowbbq.co.uk
Firelighters - Weber Lighter Cubes - £3.48 on wowbbq.co.uk
Charcoal - Weber Premium Lumpwood 5KG - £10.49 on Amazon
Cover - Amazon Basics Kettle Grill Cover - £15.49 on Amazon
Gloves
Utensils
Cleaning brush

Anything obvious missing?
Looks good. I wouldn't bother with the Weber lumpwood, it's pretty poor stuff. The weber briquettes are excellent tho. Big K stuff is good (their restaurant grade stuff is even better but the supermarket stuff is OK), and Globaltic get's good reviews and it's quite reasonable delivered https://globaltic.ee/

I'd consider the onlyfire rotisserie on Amazon if you can stretch to it.

Associate
some nice bits pictures

think I will have to spatchcock a chicken for saturday on the bbq

did pick up toms new book that has some interesting ideas I can tweak

Soldato
WFH today, so another brisket on the smoker.

Started much earlier than my first attempt, so should get a lot more than 6 hours this time.

Struggling to keep the internal temps (not of the meat) low. Currently at 140C with all the vents closed (WSM). Any tips on reducing this more?

Soldato
WFH today, so another brisket on the smoker.

Started much earlier than my first attempt, so should get a lot more than 6 hours this time.

Struggling to keep the internal temps (not of the meat) low. Currently at 140C with all the vents closed (WSM). Any tips on reducing this more?

I had this problem with minion method, even with top and bottom vents barely open it was still too hot. Ended up spraying the coals with water to get them under control. I'll be sticking with snake method from now on.

Waitrose have tomahawks in. £15 a kilo.

Aldi £13p/k too, picked a couple up this morning

Back
Top Bottom