*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
@lookitsjonno cheers

I think I've had it a bit too high (roughly 135 ish for the first 3 hours). It didn't really stall at all, just flew up to 70C ish. Wrapped it in foil now. Temps are settling down a bit now, so will let it sit for another few hours. I've put some sweet potatoes on too as I was curious to see how these 'smoke'.

Soldato
Struggling to keep the internal temps (not of the meat) low. Currently at 140C with all the vents closed (WSM). Any tips on reducing this more?

What size WSM do you have? With mine, I always leave the top vent fully open, but quite often end up with 2 bottom vents closed and the third one a matchstick width open and it will chug along happily at about 120C. I generally just fill the basket and dump a few lit briquettes from the chimney in the middle.

I've put some sweet potatoes on too as I was curious to see how these 'smoke'.

How did they turn out? I've never smoked sweet potatoes, but smoked potato salad is one of my favourite sides. If I've got some meat going, I usually stick some potatoes in the pan as well.

Soldato
@Street
Both were a success! The brisket was epic (I have some in a sandwich for lunch today. It just falls apart!)

The sweet potatoes were good too, I think they were on for about an hour, but the larger ones needed a bit longer.

It's the smallest WSM. I haven't quite figured out the top vent yet. Would closing that keep the temperatures low? Or encourage heat build up as it can't escape as easily?

Soldato
It's the smallest WSM. I haven't quite figured out the top vent yet. Would closing that keep the temperatures low? Or encourage heat build up as it can't escape as easily?

I remember looking into it when I got mine and it seemed the general consensus was to always leave the top vent fully open otherwise it can cause smoke build up and affect the flavour of the meat. Are you using charcoal or briquettes? I tried with charcoal a couple times but it seemed to burn much hotter and quicker than the briquettes putting my temps through the roof! I've stuck to Heat Beads since then.

Associate
I used 35 briquettes yesterday and the main part I could cook stuff was about 20x20cm, spread them out and it just seemed like weak direct heat only good enough for it acting like an oven and not a girl.

For about 40cm wide part of BBQ do I need more briquettes?

You’re overthinking it, don’t count out briquettes. Just load up half or a full chimney and chuck it on, you don’t want a thin even layer of coals as there won’t be enough heat. You want a pile of hot coals.
If it gets too hot and flames up, then put the lid on until it calms down.

Soldato
That looks amazing - can you talk me through how you go about putting that together? What cuts, what skewer set up etc?
Looks nice - what's the marinade?

https://meatsmokefire.co.uk/recipes/chicken/the-kellybab/

I added extra garlic, 1/2tsp turmeric, 2tsp paprika and some red food colour. Food colour doesn't add any flavour but adds visual impact.

Thigh fillets are surprisingly quite expensive to buy at £3-4 per kilo, so I tend to buy boned and fillet them myself, works out at around £2 per kilo once deboned. It's quite easy and doesn't take very long if you have a sharp knife. You can also use leftovers for stock if you can be bothered.

Method wise, it's just chuck it all into a bowl, leave to marinade for as long as you can (though not essential), thread the onto a rotisserie rod and cook until 74 degrees. You can do it without a rotisserie too, just thread some skewers through it and cook on the opposite side of the coals, rotating every half hour or so.

If there's a recipe that feeds as many people as possible, cheaply and with maximum visual impact it's this :)

Soldato
Ahh, thought it was tandoori chicken as it was so red!

I've never tried the kellybab - think I'll have a go this Sunday with it being father's day.

Looks like a good website that, never heard of it before - thanks!

Soldato
On keeping temps low, unless you have extremely good air flow control, you need to maybe just reduce the amount of fuel you use.

Vertical smokers can sometimes need a bit of extra airtightening (is that a word) using gasket tape or high temp silicone. Same goes for kettles really. But if you use the snake method then less of an issue.

Soldato
https://meatsmokefire.co.uk/recipes/chicken/the-kellybab/

I added extra garlic, 1/2tsp turmeric, 2tsp paprika and some red food colour. Food colour doesn't add any flavour but adds visual impact.

Thigh fillets are surprisingly quite expensive to buy at £3-4 per kilo, so I tend to buy boned and fillet them myself, works out at around £2 per kilo once deboned. It's quite easy and doesn't take very long if you have a sharp knife. You can also use leftovers for stock if you can be bothered.

Method wise, it's just chuck it all into a bowl, leave to marinade for as long as you can (though not essential), thread the onto a rotisserie rod and cook until 74 degrees. You can do it without a rotisserie too, just thread some skewers through it and cook on the opposite side of the coals, rotating every half hour or so.

If there's a recipe that feeds as many people as possible, cheaply and with maximum visual impact it's this :)

Definitely gonna be trying this.

Back
Top Bottom