*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Had my first go doing a Kellybab tonight, without a rotisserie. Rotated it every 15 mins or so like you said here and whilst it had some crispy bits it definitely wasn't overdone. Super happy with how it came out! I can see myself ordering a Rotisserie fitting for my Weber though.,

I've been tempted to get one of those rotisseries for a while but after seeing that, I thought I'd give it a go without one. It was only a small one though as it was just for me but it tasted great! The only problem is, it's made me want the rotisserie more.

IR9Mmemh.jpg

And a couple of pre-birthday t-bones on Friday night! :D
CBVDcfCh.jpg

Soldato
Those TBones look amazing! Might have to try that.

I did a second Kellybab on Friday night, this time cooked indirect. It came out really well. Had all the charcoal at the front of the BBQ, put the 'bab at the back and cooked for around 90 mins. No crispy parts this time around and less dry this time around. Also did some Steak skewers using a big lump of Sirloin I bought and some Pork Belly strips. All came out really well, only mild BBQ disaster was I kept forgetting how quick Halloumi cooks :cry:

I think now that I've done the indirect cook, and have the Inkbird thermometer - I'm happy without the Rotisserie. It would make using the thermometer more awkward with the cables, and I'm not sure it would improve the cooking enough to justify it right now.

Soldato
Just ordered a pig bluey mini bbq by the snaffling pig co, seems a good buy compared to the price of the bge minimax. Will see how it goes when it arrives! At near £300 saving to the bge it's worth a punt. Looks great too :D

Soldato
Just ordered a pig bluey mini bbq by the snaffling pig co, seems a good buy compared to the price of the bge minimax. Will see how it goes when it arrives! At near £300 saving to the bge it's worth a punt. Looks great too :D

Looks awesome tbh having spent the last few months cooking on a very basic open barbecue.

is there a reason to choose these kamodo style bbqs over the popular Weber’s? Or are they for totally different cooking methods?

Thanks and please post back with how you find it!

Soldato

Awesome, that looks fantastic. Didn't even know they made BBQs. If it's anywhere near as good as their snacks it'll be a winner! :)

Associate
Over the past week or so I have cooked a few items, although only took pictures of the finished item.

Tomahawk steak:
i.php

And a 2kg Brisket with Texan rub from Farmison & Co (cooked at 110C and left uncovered until 65C internally, then wrapped in foil until it got to 93C so overall around 9 hours + an hour resting):
20210802104653-9df25d50-xl.jpg

Both were very tasty and I used my Meater for managing the temps/alerts.

Soldato
Did the kellybab yesterday, so easy to prepare and cook, did it at about 150c for 2.5 hours or so in the end in the Kamado with the deflector in place and water filled drip tray. Served it up with some homemade chips! and full salad boss! :D

E07nhCv.jpg

939BkGa.jpg

Soldato
Some good looking meat there! :D

I grilled some picanha and heart of palm last night..
Bfj6igDh.jpg

Does anyone here have the Only Fire rotisserie? Looking at it as an alternative to the Weber/CB ones as it's half the price!

Associate
Did the kellybab yesterday, so easy to prepare and cook, did it at about 150c for 2.5 hours or so in the end in the Kamado with the deflector in place and water filled drip tray. Served it up with some homemade chips! and full salad boss! :D

Looking good! this is on my list to try in the next couple of weeks!

Soldato
Soldato
Hi all,

Been a while since I posted here. I've been doing my normal pulled pork - brisket still yet to be tried. Turkey in my freezer I completely forgot about, but I'm hoping the get it done soon (missed a good opportunity with all the good weather we had).

That said, I did some steak the other night on my weber gas grill, just noticed though that the heat produced even with all burners on just isn't enough to sear with the lid up. Here is what I do, I will heat the BBQ up, lift lid up, do first side on steak - sears fine (lid open). However, when I flip it, the majority of the heat has gone from the bars and doesn't really do the same job.

Is this normal? If so, anything I can do?

Soldato
Some good looking meat there! :D

I grilled some picanha and heart of palm last night..

Does anyone here have the Only Fire rotisserie? Looking at it as an alternative to the Weber/CB ones as it's half the price!

I also have the Only Fire rotisserie. Works well and used it for the kellybab I posted earlier in the thread.

Soldato
Ok chaps. First time venturing in here. Decent cook but total BBQ noob. Been in my new place for a few weeks now, first time ever having a garden :)D) so time to get some things in place for the next dose of summer when it arrives. A friend has given me a very old 'Essex' :)confused: it's very nineties!) model barbecue which is essentially a basic charcoal kettle thing on wheels with 50cm grill diameter. It's only 8cm or so deep though. It doesn't have a lid but has a higher half-rack for resting which is nice.

So, I have zero tools/utensils. I definitely need a chimney starter right. Does it matter what size I get, does it bear any relation to the grill size? Just get the Weber and be done with it? I've a Wilko near me which stocked some decent enough looking utensils.. long tongs, spatula/turner. I already have a Thermapen and Anova SV. Anything else I need to get going?

Oh and of course, charcoal/briquettes. Guessing the bags sold at my corner shop aren't up to much? Where do you guys get them from? Cheers :)

Soldato
A chimney starter and Thermapen are the two I use the most and you've got one of those already. I don't really have any other special BBQ utensils. Apart from some metal tongs for moving charcoal around and some gloves, I just use my normal kitchen utensils.
The boxes of Big K charcoal are decent and are fairly reasonably priced for the quality and amount you get, you can usually find them on offer somewhere as well. I tend to use charcoal for grilling and Heat Bead briquettes for smoking.

Having a kettle with a lid is definitely worth investing in as it opens up so many more possibilities. The go to is the Weber Master Touch although the Napoleon equivalent gets decent reviews and I imagine there isn't a huge difference between the two.

Soldato
Where do you guys recommend buying meat from?

I have a big BBQ lined up with 10ish guests and I want to do some test runs of smoked brisket & pulled pork before the BBQ rolls around.

Back
Top Bottom