*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Sunday has been BBQ day.. Trying out a couple recipes from my new Wingmans Chicken and Berber and Q books! Shakshuka for breakfast and Ko Phan Bang wings done with the Vortex for dinner. :D

VcFX2BJ.jpg

EJqILMe.jpg

you know i don't mind paying for good meat .. but if you have to spend £50-60 on one order then £5-15 on delivery .. wow ...
anyone know of places that do short ribs and half brisket without the mass spend and del on top ?

If you order over £50 with T&G they don't charge you postage. I always just stick on a pack of burgers or hotdogs if it's under to bump the price up. :)

Soldato
Just managed to pick up a 57cm Weber kettle for free. Need the replace the cleaning sytstem at the bottom as its seaizedf and give it a good clean. Any recommendations on some good beginner recipes to give a try?

Soldato
thats the thing i don't want to order £50 worth of meat .. there's only 2 of us .. and there's enough in the freezer as it is :p
say short rib's £15-20 1.4kg and £4 del fine ..

You need to find yourself a local butcher. I spend £20-30 in mine every week (family of four). Talk to the butcher about what I’m doing with it etc. He always lets me know what’s coming through and does me deals. Last week it was some wether, it was kinda strong but good slow cooked. This week some nice short rib, had onglet and other interesting beef cuts. Because I’m a regular often gives me extra, such as reaching end of rib eye and gives me the difficult sell pointed end for free. It’s socially, financially and cooking wise rewarding.

Associate
Cooked a shoulder of lamb today but it was a bit dry. Any tips for next time?

Charcoal kettle BBQ, used snake layout for briquettes, with tray of water in centre coal grill.
Temp was 100c for 1.5 hours then 140c for 3 hours.
Lamb wasn't wrapped in foil, was cooked in centre and pink around very edge (temps are from BBQ lid)

Soldato

Charcoal kettle BBQ, used snake layout for briquettes, with tray of water in centre coal grill.
Lamb wasn't wrapped in foil, was cooked in centre and pink around very edge (temps are from BBQ lid)

What internal temperature was it at the end? I'd treat it like a pork shoulder and take it up to at least 90C then rest it for a decent time as well. Also get a grill thermometer as the one in the lid will be horribly inaccurate! :)

Associate
so lid thermometer said it was 135c at end. temps were seemingly constant, so that was good but obviously unsure of exact temp and if lid thermometer is much over or under.

Soldato

Were you aiming for roast lamb, or pulled lamb? If it's the latter, 4.5 hours is probably far too short. I smoked a lamb shoulder on Saturday at 110c for 4 hours, and then 140c for another 4.5 hours whilst wrapped in butcher paper and it was only just pull'able.

Associate
pulled lamb at first then erm roast lamb because it was already past lunch time. I see the problem.
so I should have planned for longer and kept the temp in the 100c range? won't it dry out from being cooked unwrapped in the first 4+ hours?

Soldato
pulled lamb at first then erm roast lamb because it was already past lunch time. I see the problem.
so I should have planned for longer and kept the temp in the 100c range? won't it dry out from being cooked unwrapped in the first 4+ hours?

It won't dry out because it's a fatty cut. You also don't have to wrap it, but you do need to keep it on the BBQ until the internal temp is in the 90-95c range and you can probe it like butter. I wrap in butcher's paper because it gives less of a "steamed" flavour that I find foil does, and it speeds the process up.

I can't really be bothered with low and slow any more. It takes far too long and I get great results with higher temps. For example, I do pulled pork at 150c these days.

Permabanned
i do most of my smoked meats at 120-130c .. small bit of water in a tray under them .. spray every hr with beer or whatever ..
doing short ribs tom 1.5kg will be on for a good 6 hrs +
will start at around 10 am ..lol ..

Soldato

Always start earlier than planned! :D Lamb shoulder is really forgiving on the BBQ but it needs taking up to at least 90C for the collagen to break down properly. I generally aim for a grill temp of around 120C and as above, wrap with butchers paper after about 4 hours. A wireless probe and Thermapen are really handy pieces of kit to have as well.

Associate
So I've been looking at the Weber Spirit 2 E320 as a gas BBQ option, any other brands to consider? Budget is up to £650. I've still got my Weber Kettle which I Still use, But when I'm having friends round etc it's quicker and easier on the Gas. So any help in choosing a good quality Gas BBQ with a side burner please would be appreciated.

Cheers

Soldato
Soldato
Bit of a combo on the Kamado today, did the Serious Eats Pulled Pork, but as I'm lazy I put it in the Sous Vide yesterday at 71c to do the majority of the cook and finished it off in the Kamado for about 2 hours 15. Temps were easy to control, luckily left myself plenty of time as I got it up to about 185 at first when I was busy doing some other bits and pieces, but soon got it down to 120 adding a bowl of water and then eventually down and stable at 110 when I put the meat in to get the crust.

9yNjras.jpg

qF1UkEX.jpg

Soldato
Food as usual on here making me envious. My lasagne today now looks particularly boring.

6OqBpN4.jpg

Old vs. new...

Now to get another one to go with it!

I've seen some videos of these things, with auto fans etc (if i have the right one) for maintaining temperature. They look awesome! However, no doubt pricey?

Back to food, next up for me is pork shoulder for pulled pork to feed say 10 at various points of the day (social distancing will be followed). I imagine im looking at about a 3-4kg weight.

I have the rub already (Memphis Dust). However, any tips on cooking / smoking / wrapping needed?

I do have a thermometer and i know from the above im aiming for 90-94c internal temp.

Any other tips welcome :)

Soldato
Food as usual on here making me envious. My lasagne today now looks particularly boring.

I've seen some videos of these things, with auto fans etc (if i have the right one) for maintaining temperature. They look awesome! However, no doubt pricey?

Back to food, next up for me is pork shoulder for pulled pork to feed say 10 at various points of the day (social distancing will be followed). I imagine im looking at about a 3-4kg weight.

I have the rub already (Memphis Dust). However, any tips on cooking / smoking / wrapping needed?

I do have a thermometer and i know from the above im aiming for 90-94c internal temp.

Any other tips welcome :)

My bit was just over 2kg before I took the fat off and I served 6 with accompanying bits and still had about a third left. And we're not shy eaters.

Back
Top Bottom