*** Official Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Thread***

Soldato
The direction they are taking with this game, they may as well remove keyboard and mouse support for MW 3.

Don't even joke...

Seems their pr rep has some attitude problems, responses are good though.

Ha! Meh, their PR dept. can keep making glib remarks if they want, but the moron who thought it was a good idea to remove dedicated server support has just lost that company, what, hundreds of thousands of pounds? Millions?

Associate
I've never played any CoD multiplayer but then I'm a TF2 and Unreal man. Regardless, this is a crazy and unjustified move by the developer and I signed the petition as soon as I heard about it. Even PC Gamer have expressed their disgust with the move.

If the developer don't change their decision, which I honestly don't expect them to, then I really hope that they go on to rue the move.

Caporegime
Don't even joke...

Ha! Meh, their PR dept. can keep making glib remarks if they want, but the moron who thought it was a good idea to remove dedicated server support has just lost that company, what, hundreds of thousands of pounds? Millions?

Well the weedkiller comment to me says it all.

Soldato
But, IW have stated it's not because of piracy

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx

Sorry to burst your bubble.

"The Steam stuff helps with the piracy" - Vince Zampella

"IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent" - that article you just linked to.

My bubble is still fully formed thanks. :) It may not be THE reason but it definitely was one of the deciding factors.

Caporegime
"The Steam stuff helps with the piracy" - Vince Zampella

ermm that's just the selling it on steam not the lack of dedicated servers, steam games use dedi servers too.

I noticed you missed off the part that refers to the lack of dedicated servers

I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does, [reduce piracy]

And in the full interview they again downplayed any mention of piracy.

Soldato
You post is hard to read. And you keep changing what you say. First you say it's not because of piracy - so I give you a direct quote from IW saying it is a factor. Then you say..well, something else. I don't understand where you're coming from.

VAC is one of the best anti-cheat / anti-piracy systems out there, if not the best. Do you think they chose to have it for fun or to limit piracy? If it's the latter then it's clearly enough of an issue for them to invest in the Steam platform.

Caporegime
You post is hard to read. And you keep changing what you say. First you say it's not because of piracy - .

What?:confused:

All i've said is that it wasn't because of piracy on which you seem to heap blame.
so I give you a direct quote from IW saying it is a factor.

You just quoted something about selling on steam. nothing to do with matchmaking

VAC is one of the best anti-cheat / anti-piracy systems out there, if not the best. Do you think they chose to have it for fun or to limit piracy?

VAC is only for cheating, steam handles piracy separately.

If it's the latter then it's clearly enough of an issue for them to invest in the Steam platform.

They don't invest anything aside from a small amount in making patches steam compatible, which valve helps with.,

They sell on steam as some people prefer it to retail so they get more sales for virtually zero cost.

They say then selves in the interview that matchmaking/no dedi servers is not to do with piracy.

and when asked they downplayed it.

Last edited:
Soldato
triedandtested: are you working for them or something because all I see from you is support and not the point that everyone else is making that this move could potencially start a head way for other developers to kick up a whole mess! sounds to me like you spend too much time on a console!

Last edited:
Soldato
triedandtested: are you working for them or something because all I see from you is support and not the point that everyone else is making that this move could potencially start a head way for other developers to kick up a whole mess! sounds to me like you spend too much time on a console!

:D I don't support what they're doing at all, but can understand the reasons why they are doing it. Quite different.

The uproar on the IW forums pretty much sums up the hardcore 'community' and everything that's wrong with PC gaming today. It's ridiculous. Their reaction has been completely over the top, rude, insulting, arrogant - why people would want to be part of that I don't know.

These communities should be putting all their efforts in to closing down piracy sites, stopping the cheaters, the hackers etc, not petitioning against a game company for not meeting every one of their demands.

And yes, I do use a 360 for gaming as I own Mac systems now. I've had a lot of fun playing CoD4 on Live over the last couple of years.

Soldato
TO TriedandTested.....

Why cant they do the decent thing and meet us half way and incorporte both... End of the day the point every1 is trying to make is IW are trying to rip off the pc gamer.

Its not that they want to look after the casual gamer, its because its the easy option for them. If they wanted to they could have both matchmaking system and dedicated servers.

Waste of space they clearly dont care about the PC community so sod em, leave the console world have their little tree hugging game with the host crashing the game because he needs to take a dump or some little wound up 10year old wants to spam the mic.... GL!

Caporegime
These communities should be putting all their efforts in to closing down piracy sites, stopping the cheaters, the hackers etc, not petitioning against a game company for not meeting every one of their demands.

How are communities going to stop hackers without dedicated servers?

in times gone by the "hard core community" who is petitioning here, also made and funded extra anti cheat programs which they ran on their servers, they can't do that any more.

If you're suggesting they record hackers and send them to VAC/punkbuster that's not going to happen no anti cheat maker would ever listen/ban people on the basis of video/demos/"proof" that was sent to them by randoms.

Soldato
TO TriedandTested.....

Why cant they do the decent thing and meet us half way and incorporte both... End of the day the point every1 is trying to make is IW are trying to rip off the pc gamer.

I expect because what they're heading for is a all-in-one service that they can manage updates, statistics, usage, locale, DLC and monitor for cheating, hacks, piracy, etc and make it all more accessible to the majority of gamers (the casuals). The benefits for THEM are huge...and therein lies the problem. They are thinking TOO much about themselves and that's what has riled certain pockets of PC gamers.

If they offered dedicated servers as well as IWnet then there's very little reason for gamers to use their service; something they've probably piled lots of money in to and want to lock you in to. It probably ties in to marketing as well - to use the game on IWnet etc you'll no doubt have to pass over your email at some stage, discounts on pre-ordering DLC..all that stuff.

and suddenly its all clear.

/pat

Oh come on, you can do better than that.

My opinions are just as valid as yours. I've played online PC games for many years.

Associate
My opinions are just as valid as yours. I've played online PC games for many years.

Well then you should know that the only reason multiplayer gaming is so communal and great on the pc is because of dedicated servers. Matchmaking ****e like on the 360 doesnt cut it, and this is coming from someone who owns all 3 consoles plus a pc. Many times Ive tried to get into console online gaming, and the fact is its a far inferior experience in everyway.

4p

4p

Soldato
OP

poop.jpeg

Soldato
PC gaming is ****ed. Crysis is multiplatform now for gods sake.

Flashpoint no dedicated servers. Call of Duty no dedicated servers. The PC is just a big console now :p

Associate
Dont forget your game is worth £0.00 once you buy it. It gets linked to your steam account/ cant sell it on.

They will FORCE you to pay THEIR chosen price on dlc: maps/mods. Basically (as on halo 3) they will implement the maps into IW.net playlists/ matchmaking, whenever you try to join you'll get a nice little "sorry you dont have the dlc, click here to pay for something which used to be free". Dedicated servers allow our amazing pc modding/ mapping community to enjoy all these benefots for FREE and do it for US GAMERS, NOT FOR THE MONEY.

Good article HERE

Back
Top Bottom