*** Official Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Thread***

Soldato
Correct me if I am wrong but...

I think that were all focusing on pings in multiplayer a little to much. Low pings are needed for smooth gameplay but when pings are high the software uses it's best guess to judge where players are and what should be happening. When the game eventually catchs up it corrects all the locations and actions that are taking place. This is where you would see a player disappear from one location and jump to another.

Some games have better guessing software than others and if the 100 pings for mw2 are to be believed then I am going to say the IW.net might have some really good software behind it.

Guessing is still guessing, and the larger the ping the more guesswork is involved and the more you have to relax the hitboxes.
Thus making the game worse than smaller hitboxes on low ping

Associate
After playing MW2 at 1920x1200 with all settings max at a constant 60fps and comparing it to the 360 version I know I have made the right choice in returning the 360 version to the shop.
To be honest this game is making me eBay my 360 as the sum of it's parts are not worth **** these days.
Rubbish hardware, overpriced xbox live and accessories etc.
I just can't drag myself onto the console anymore after buying a gtx295.

Soldato
Correct me if I am wrong but...

I think that were all focusing on pings in multiplayer a little to much. Low pings are needed for smooth gameplay but when pings are high the software uses it's best guess to judge where players are and what should be happening. When the game eventually catchs up it corrects all the locations and actions that are taking place. This is where you would see a player disappear from one location and jump to another.

Some games have better guessing software than others and if the 100 pings for mw2 are to be believed then I am going to say the IW.net might have some really good software behind it.

So basically what your saying is that the game is playing itself for you ? Kind of like a rolling demo ? I guess finally after all these years we are eventually playing benchmarks

Soldato
Wait, download? You mean you can't even install the game content from the disc? I'm I reading this right?

For people having to download it instead of using the disks

Using Steam launch options to install from disc

1. Log in to Steam and click the My games tab.
2. Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
3. Insert the first disc into your computer.
4. Close Steam (File > Exit).
5. Go to the Start button and select Run (XP) or type Run in the Search box and choose Run from the list (Vista).
6. In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
7. Press OK. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Soldato
So basically what your saying is that the game is playing itself for you ? Kind of like a rolling demo ? I guess finally after all these years we are eventually playing benchmarks

No, he wrote something completely different to your response. You just wanted to draw something negative from it. Even Warcraft, the world's most premier online game in all genres with arguably the best online hardware/software configurations behind it, suffer that problem from time to time. I have not played it online since Steam only unlocks the damn game on Thursday, but I'm willing to bet there will be no difference in online play for a casual gamer like me, their biggest target market.

Associate
After installing it from the discs, steam then tries to start downloading an update for it. If I try to pause the download and run the Single Player, the servers are too busy to handle my request. All I want to do is play the single player!

****** ridiculous!

Associate
I tried all the "fixes" and nothing worked.

Then I uninstalled steam completely and installed from the Call of Duty discs. Worked a charm!!!

Just sharing this for others that might be battling. Good luck!

Associate
ye same problem for me got the 2 dics and it keeps saying servers are busy then ****ing downloads when i have the disc in drive makes no sense there servers are busy and overload them more wit downloading when i have a prefectly good disc doing my head in

Associate
The reason that people who purchased the disks, and cant play (due to steam being overloaded ), is that the disks do not contain the full game. The reason for this was probably to avoid any leaks prior to release. As the dvd's were probabbly pressed weeks+ ago.

Soldato
Well I have to say that I love the SP aspect and I do like the MP side, however P2P sucks.

I had full green bars yet throwing grenades could lag - it was awful.

I'm really lost for words as to why they've done this.

Soldato
No, he wrote something completely different to your response. You just wanted to draw something negative from it. yada yada yada

Well he certainly made it sound like that, He said it guessed where people were and amended the bullet path to accommodate it, but the problem lies in just that "anti lag" what if the person isn't where it "guessed" they were ?

The result is as always you die for no reason or it has to make the hit box so insanely large you cant miss, all this "Casual gamer" nonsense as well what's that about ? You've been given that title by IW to make you feel like they have made a game for you when in reality they've set you out as a mark who will accept any old tosh that's thrown at them without question, You probably think that going backwards 10 years and using tech from the late 90's is a massive step forward. Would you like to buy an ATI9600 pro ? only £300 you can use that with your up to date net code if you like ancient stuff.

And the sad thing is, is that not only have you swallowed the whole ****** your actually defending them.

WOW, dont even go there its rarely PvP so who counting if the game guesses the wrong location of an enemy ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom