*** Official Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Thread***

Associate
Just to keep things in perspective the games been launched all over the world on the same day the steam servers are going to be under a lot of pressure.
We need some patience!

For the record I installed it this morning with not problems have played the first 5/6 missions of the single player really like it and I'm just about to play mp with my mates from work!

Soldato
My mates gutted he only on like 512k internet and its taken him 1 hour to do 1% lol is this normal ?

It's a 12GB download AFAIK, so maxing out his connection it will take about 50 hours, but steam is being hammered pretty hard at the moment so it may be even slower than that.

Surely though he should be installing from disc as the download copy from Steam isn't released until the 12th.

Associate
I see others have been having problems finding their friends/acepting invites to games. After 20 mins of faffing we got it working.

In steams settings, you need to tick "enable steam community in game" otherwise when you get a invite and click the link - nothing happens.
This may not actually be what fix's it, could have been a co-incidence, but it worked for us.

Man of Honour
I cant beleive how frustrating Steam is making this.

It's finally installed, updated and ready to go. Yet when I double click it, it goes to 'Preparing to Launch' then 'Decrypting Game files' then... back to the Steam games list. It never actually loads the application?

Associate
yes, really he did. in what other way can the above sentence be possibility construed other than to imply that when the game lags the software takes over the control of the game from the player and starts to "make things up" ?

Chill LOAM I did say correct me if I am wrong, give this link a read only just read it myself and makes the whole thing clearer :cool:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article712.asp

Taken from the end of the article after all the explaining

Since you cant make the Internet go any faster, and not everyone can have high speed connections or be in the same room or building with each other when they play game developers have had to come up with alternative solutions to how to make multiplayer games seem smooth.
What is commonly done is called interpolating the figures, this is just making an educated guess. If the player is running forward now, then player will more than likely be running forward still on the next update, so until we hear from them, we will assume that they are running forward and move them on the screen this way.
This is how you end up with false kills and things that should have been hits, but weren't, because the system was showing you something but in fact, the other player wasn't really there, you just hadn't gotten the update yet.

Soldato
Having been playing Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for a while now, I personally think both single player and multiplayer are fantastic. It would have been better with dedicated servers obviously since the clan that owns the server that I play on in Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was going to create one for Modern Warfare 2 as well, so to hear that there wasn't going to be any dedicated servers was disappointing.

Anyway, just a quick question, can you create separate profiles for multiplayer instead of having a single profile and / or is it also possible to clear all of your achievements and classes and start from the beginning?

Soldato
It's a 12GB download AFAIK, so maxing out his connection it will take about 50 hours, but steam is being hammered pretty hard at the moment so it may be even slower than that.

Surely though he should be installing from disc as the download copy from Steam isn't released until the 12th.

He has the retail dvd of it how big is it to get that going he just said its doing something through steam and its on 2% he only getting 30kbs

Associate
Just finished single player. Story was a load of crap compared to the cod4 but the actual gameplay was better and more epic with far better level design and overall detail and some nice new guns to play with.

Soldato
Chill LOAM I did say correct me if I am wrong, + snip

I am chilled, Ive been hosting dedicated servers for nearly 10 years I know how it works, you could turn off the whole anti lag guessing game nonsense in the COD4 server cfg file so that it didn't need to guess where you were though so its a sort of moot point anyway.

I'm not even that bothered about this game tbh, the guys I play with and myself recently invested £1400 on a dedicated server, primarily to host this though so it does kind of get my goat a little.

So all in all I do hope for the sake of the future of PC gaming that this thing falls flat on its face and fails.

Associate
I am chilled, Ive been hosting dedicated servers for nearly 10 years I know how it works, you could turn off the whole anti lag guessing game nonsense in the COD4 server cfg file so that it didn't need to guess where you were though so its a sort of moot point anyway.

I'm not even that bothered about this game tbh, the guys I play with and myself recently invested £1400 on a dedicated server, primarily to host this though so it does kind of get my goat a little.

So all in all I do hope for the sake of the future of PC gaming that this thing falls flat on its face and fails.

Now I am with you, dedicated servers are far better it's just this game has received very little love for the PC as a platform.

We have to wonder and ask does IW.net cost activision money to run and if so when does it's budget run out and will they just turn it off?

Can you imagine the community reaction if one day multiplayer just failed to work.

Soldato
He has the retail dvd of it how big is it to get that going he just said its doing something through steam and its on 2% he only getting 30kbs

He's run into the same problem others here have then, in that its trying to download instead of use disc. I dont think there is a foolproof solution yet, just keep trying really.

Soldato
I think its a joke the way its going now. You buy a game in a shop and you cant even play it until they say so?

Steam is a great idea, but the limitations are worreying. Its almost like you are not buying a game any more, just a license to play it.

Back
Top Bottom