**OFFICIAL** Carling Cup Final Thread - Aston Villa Vs. Man Utd - 28/2/10 - Wembley

Soldato
I still cant call it, I think our team should be...

GK: VDS

RB: Rafael
CB: Vidic
CB: Evans
LB: Evra

RM: Valencia
CM: Carrick
CM: Fletcher
CM: Scholes
LM: Park

CF: Rooney

Subs: Foster, Neville, Brown, Gibson, Obertan, Owen, Berbatov

Caporegime
Last thing we need is to go one striker, I think that's only worked against one good team this season (Arsenal) and has cost us in so many other games. It leads to us just playing hoof ball and hope to Rooney too much. It would be fine if we had 2 strong wingers to support him, but we have one strong winger and a banana.

Soldato
Obertan might be a good shout for the left - his speed is incredible and his passing is better than Park imo, tracking back isnt too bad either - dont understand why he has had such little playing time since recovering from his surgery

just really not sure who to put in the middle as Giggs would have been an automatic shoe in, I would probably go Carrick and Fletcher (and therefore Berba uptop also) with Scholes on the bench - but I can see Fergie going Fletcher and Scholes

( I wouldnt bet against SAF doing a 5 man midfield to help combat Young's pace down the wing)

Soldato
Last thing we need is to go one striker, I think that's only worked against one good team this season (Arsenal) and has cost us in so many other games. It leads to us just playing hoof ball and hope to Rooney too much. It would be fine if we had 2 strong wingers to support him, but we have one strong winger and a banana.

Worked against Arsenal, worked against Man City before that and worked against AC Milan

In fact the last time we switched to 4-4-2 in any kind of tricky game we got comfortably beat by Everton

This 4-5-1/4-3-3 thing doesn't work tripe is just bs tbh

Soldato
Obertan might be a good shout for the left - his speed is incredible and his passing is better than Park imo, tracking back isnt too bad either - dont understand why he has had such little playing time since recovering from his surgery

just really not sure who to put in the middle as Giggs would have been an automatic shoe in, I would probably go Carrick and Fletcher (and therefore Berba uptop also) with Scholes on the bench - but I can see Fergie going Fletcher and Scholes

( I wouldnt bet against SAF doing a 5 man midfield to help combat Young's pace down the wing)

Obertan hasn't played because his last start was against a League 1 team at HOME where he was utter crap

He shouldn't even make the bench to be honest but given the injuries to Ferdinand, Giggs & Anderson as well as Nani's suspension means for positional reasons he's the only wide player we have left

Park's recent form and performances against Arsenal and Milan especially make him fully deserving of a place ahead of Obertan

Soldato
Obertan hasn't played because his last start was against a League 1 team at HOME where he was utter crap

He shouldn't even make the bench to be honest but given the injuries to Ferdinand, Giggs & Anderson as well as Nani's suspension means for positional reasons he's the only wide player we have left

Park's recent form and performances against Arsenal and Milan especially make him fully deserving of a place ahead of Obertan

so you would have ditched the whole team after Everton then?hmmmm (whether its home or away isnt that much different given the quality of majority of the 1st team) - and why blame Obertan solely for that debacle, it was the whole team who were terrible that day

he is a young player who needs time on the pitch - he would do a lot more than Park who did **** *** against AC in the whole time he was on, at least Obertan has a lot of pace and can beat his man and supply a good cross

Soldato
so you would have ditched the whole team after Everton then?hmmmm (whether its home or away isnt that much different given the quality of majority of the 1st team) - and why blame Obertan solely for that debacle, it was the whole team who were terrible that day

he is a young player who needs time on the pitch - he would do a lot more than Park who did **** *** against AC in the whole time he was on, at least Obertan has a lot of pace and can beat his man and supply a good cross

I was referring to the Leeds game when talking about Obertan

And what's this good cross nonsense? He's setup what 1 goal in the games he's played? Yes he's a young player who needs games to impress but it's crazy to throw him in in a cup final which at this moment in time provides the best avenue to winning a trophy this season

As for Park say what you want about him but all of our best and most impressive performances in recent times have come with him on the pitch so whilst he might not catch the eye with goals or setting up goals but his work rate and movement are pivotal to our attacking play

I'm not knocking Berbatov but Park's contribution in the big games over the last 2 seasons has been much more than Berbatov's

Soldato
I was referring to the Leeds game when talking about Obertan

And what's this good cross nonsense? He's setup what 1 goal in the games he's played? Yes he's a young player who needs games to impress but it's crazy to throw him in in a cup final which at this moment in time provides the best avenue to winning a trophy this season

As for Park say what you want about him but all of our best and most impressive performances in recent times have come with him on the pitch so whilst he might not catch the eye with goals or setting up goals but his work rate and movement are pivotal to our attacking play

I'm not knocking Berbatov but Park's contribution in the big games over the last 2 seasons has been much more than Berbatov's

I know you were talking about Leeds - all I was saying was that your only reasoning for not playing him is that he played terribly, so therefore when the whole team played terribly at Everton by your reasoning they all deserve ditching to the reserves:eek:

Maybe the team have won DESPITE Park's presence on the pitch rather than because of it......he really doesnt add that much if anything to the team imo apart from occasional bursts into the box

Obviously being in a final is "the best opportunity to win a trophy" - but in reality the Carling Cup (while not to be sniffed at) is the LEAST we should be happy with, and without being bigheaded even if we win it , that shouldnt make it a good season despite the problems we have had with no /little defence, little midfield for some of the season coming up, and one main/relaible striker (without Own Goal lol)

Berbatov has won more games for Utd with assists and goals (in that order) than Park has in his time with the club

Soldato
Maybe the team have won DESPITE Park's presence on the pitch rather than because of it......he really doesnt add that much if anything to the team imo apart from occasional bursts into the box

So you're saying we've effectively been carrying him

Yeah we'd really of won in the convincing way we have it that was the case :rolleyes:

Soldato
Sunday, 28 February 2010

Carling Cup final

15:00 Aston Villa v Man Utd

2rz54z9.jpg

2lazv46.gif
14:00 - 17:35
24oy782.gif
14:45 - 17:30

2nu64nd.gif
15:00 - 18:00

k96k94.jpg
23:45 - 00:30 BBC2 & online

Soldato

Most of the team were utter crap against Leeds. I'd rather stick a promising player in the team than someone who loves running around opposition player triangles like he's playing a game of piggy in the middle. Regardless of being put on the left, he rarely plays there as in the attacking sense of getting the ball and running down the left and crossing, he's all over the show. He's had good performances for us I agree, but to talk about 'recent form and performances against Arsenal and Milan' hahaha don't make me laugh.

He offers us little going forward, is easily knocked off the ball and despite being called '3 lung' Park, I've yet to see him display this ability since he's been back. He runs no more than any other of our midfielders, scores once a blue moon, and regardless of having this fantastic defensive ability that some fans have given him, he rarely tackles and wins the ball. So in essence, he's not Man Utd quality. I'd rather have a goal threat down the left than a player who will win us freekicks at the half way line and run around a bit because he's got 'workrate'. Guess what.. Rooney has workrate and a whole shedload of ability, tell me what Park has? He has looked out of his depth for a while now and aged 29 he's not going to get any better.

Soldato
Park is like Eboue, a good utility player, jack of all trades. They're extremely useful to have in your squad. I don't think it's fair at all to blame him for United's lack of creativity this year, it's not his fault, the whole team don't look particularly confident in attack (obviously discounting Rooney ..) and Park isn't too bad imo

Back
Top Bottom