*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Permabanned
Back in the saddle a quick months downtime. Have to say that I'm loving the updated night lighting. Was in the Gulf last night and it looked stunning.

Lot of noise about the frame rates, but I have to say that nothing appears to have really changed in performance, just that it now looks better (at least to me).
Took my friend for a spin the free to try F5, Yak52 and Mi8. Not a fan of the F5, but really wanted to show him the Yak and Mi8, both of which I love.

Why dnt you like the F5?
If anyone does play DCS on Steam and wants to try the free modules, you can 'transfer' your steam purchases over to the standalone version. Once you do that you can uninstall the steam version and then install standalone. From there you'll have access to all the free stuff...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229207

Did it myself yesterday, it's easy enough.

Can the free stuff not be played from steam without licence transfer?

Pros and cons to both

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/8f3151/getting_started_with_dcs_steam_or_standalone/

Soldato
The free month should be playable without licence transfers as EVERYTHING (bar Heatblur stuff) is free anyway, just create a new account if needed and download away.

I was content with my DCS F-16C, but the F/A-18 Hornet ended up being much simpler to pick up than I ever imagined, so I'm almost convinced that I'll have to get that as well. The Mirage on the other hand is an absolute maze, would love it in FC3 simlified avionics mode, but can't be bothered figuring it all out, even with its alternative English lang cockpit enabled.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I found the F5 just a little boring.
It’s easy to start and fly, but you soon hit the bad parts, ie poor thrust, very draggy with any load, poor range, pants radar. As an example, I love the Mig21, which is vaguely similar but a genuine challenge to use.

Do give the Mirage a chance. It’s a bit odd at first, but doesn’t really take that long to learn and after that, is a lovely aircraft to use.

Associate
I really want to try this but dayum the costs of each aircraft pack is horrific. (Bearing in mind i would struggle to limit myself to 1 or 2).

However a few questions.

Is it online player v player or MMO style?
Or scripted scenarios you can create and fly with or against others?

Nobody can deny it looks fantastic but is the game play as good?
I have also seen comments that with a few exceptions the Flight Model is about as realistic as a chocolate teapot.

I think I can get away with that comment as i dont post on their forums so cant be sanctioned for detrimemtal posts :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
DCS is less of a game, and much more of a sim.
The "low" definition aircraft are in the Flaming Cliffs 3 package. Whilst they have realistic flight characteristics, their controls are simplified.
The rest are "high def", i.e. you can flick switches and similar within the cockpit and most have pretty complex routines, reflecting reality where possible. The exceptions being the more "sensitive" systems, like IFF (Identify Friend or Foe). Sure, it's in game and controllable, but won't fully reflect reality.

Regards how you fly, take your pick:
- Most aircraft come with a number of pre-designed missions
- Paid for campaigns, typically including 12-15 missions which are usually well designed. On sale, these are around £5 a pop
- Learn how to use the mission editor yourself. It's a lot easier than you might think and allows you to design pretty much whatever you want, assuming that it fits the maps (currently 4 and increasing), and the existing assets, i.e. aircraft, tanks, ships etc. You can create a mission for just yourself, or for many people to fly on
- Jump online, either into an "open" server, or join a squadron. Then it's down to your preference, i.e. do you want to fight "air to air", "air to ground", PVP, PVE, in a helicopter, modern day jet etc

It does take time to learn the systems, but it's incredibly satisfying when you're there.

As it's free to try it, give it a go. What I would say is that you should assume you're a new pilot joining a real airforce from the level of practice involved.
On a positive note, there's a LOT of good material to guide people, on everything from aircraft choice, how to take off, land etc, how to build missions.
Sure, the DCS forums are certainly not perfect, but generally you'll get a useful response to a sensible question.

Soldato
I really want to try this but dayum the costs of each aircraft pack is horrific. (Bearing in mind i would struggle to limit myself to 1 or 2).
If you are new to DCS, I would start with the FC3 pack (A-10A, F-15c, MiG-29A/C/G, Su-27, Su-33, Su-25) - same physics, flight dynamics, same weapon deployment logic as the fully clickable modules, but systems are automated and simplified, plus 99% of the controls are shared between the aircraft. So once you learn how to operate (not fly, their flight characterisitics are very distinct) the F-15c , you've also learnt the MiG-29 family, Su-33 and the Su-27.

I have also seen comments that with a few exceptions the Flight Model is about as realistic as a chocolate teapot.
No idea who told you that, DCS is renown for its state of the art flight model. Show me another game/sim with this level of aerodynamics complexity (there are NONE, I've looked :):

This one from the older DCS 1.5 version, but still awesome physics:

I could go on :) For all of the game's other quirks and shortcomings, DCS aerophysics are simply sublime.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, OK am downloading :)
Cool :)

Now, once again, I don't know about your prior experience with flight sims and what you are looking for the most in DCS, but imo the best way in is to start with the simplified F-15C fighter. Its physics, sensors and weapons performance are still equivalent to a fully clickable module, but a lot of stuff is automated - you start the engines with two key presses, and so on. Once you learnt how to land, navigate from waypoint to waypoint, short range and beyond visual range dogfighting in just that particular plane, I'd recommend a story driven campaign "F-15C Georgian War". It's kinda like Ace Combat in DCS - story, voiceovers, drama, gentle learning curve. After that, you should have enough know how to get into pretty much anything.

But there is no right or wrong approach here, you may well jump straight in to multiplayer helicopters, or learn the full fat A-10C... We are all different :)

Associate
So close to uninstalling straight away.

It see's my thrustmaster TPR pedals but refuses to accept any input from them.
Persevering for now trying to get them accepting input.

At this point really happy I have not parted with any money.

Last edited:
Associate
There is a reddit discussion on it here if it's of any use to you, it seems mixed as an issue from reading the first few responses.

Don't be too quick to give up, DCS is definitely worth sticking with.

**edit to add

the pedals look very nice. In a video I just watched the reviewer recommended if you have the Thrustmaster Warthog drivers installed then you should unstall them when installing the drivers for these pedals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LsPFo1rPA&feature=emb_title

Last edited:
Associate
I have them working now.
Pedals are not a new purchase and worked ok in other sims.
I just needed to create a new FCF file for TM and make sure it was loaded before starting the game rather than just using the default.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
After a good wait, the super carrier arrived yesterday.
ED have finally decided to apply a significantly increased level of rigour into their test programme, which resulted in a couple of months time delay for delivery, but IMO, it's been worth the effort, as so far, I've seen no significant issues.
There was a big list of other bug fixes and changes also introduced at the same time, with other new functionality planned for a couple of weeks from now.
All in all, positive steps.

As for the carrier. Well it certainly looks a good deal better visually, yet without (at least for myself and my squadron), any significant impact upon performance. We now have apparently 14 slots for use, enhanced/resolved carrier comms, deck crew that actually help you, a slight change to the take off process, new IFLOLS display etc. Whilst individually, they're not massive changes, roll them all together and using the carrier is a big improvement in immersion.

Lastly, I was curious about using other aircraft than the advertised F18 and F14. So I tried take off and landing with both a Huey and a Harrier. No issues with take off and landing, and was able to re-fuel and re-arm the harrier.

Big thumbs up. Just hoping that ED will continue to apply this level of rigour.

Soldato
Omg, Just DL this...Trying to land a P-51 after "playing" for 10 mins.... But wow. IN VR..

May need to updrage my 1080TI

At least i "may" be able to justify the Virpil hotas now that its not just for Elite

Soldato
OP
The F-14 is now free for a few days to try out if you are using DCS standalone

DCS Summer sale is not on until the 25th June until 9th of July 10:00 PST, get some half completed buggy stuff at reduced prices!

Last edited:
Soldato
The F-14 is now free for a few days to try out if you are using DCS standalone

DCS Summer sale is not on until the 25th June until 9th of July 10:00 PST, get some half completed buggy stuff at reduced prices!

Dang.. I'm on steam. I think I've read you can transfer from steam to standalone.....Gooogle

Back
Top Bottom