*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Associate
Bit disappointed at discount on the f-14b in the sale. Think I will pass this time and wait for 50%. Having co pilot does seem like an interesting extra feature though

Associate
Sales from ED tend to be better as steam aint getting its 30% cut
Back in the day I got the Huey for £5.99 and the P-51 for £8.99 in 2013 from Steam - total discount 77% on both modules. But I agree just dont see this sort of thing anymore on Steam

Associate
Can anyone offer some advise for me please.

I've got most modules but still just running on a 24inch 1080p with 780 GTX, albeit with i7 8700k and 16gb ram (planning to get another 16gb)

I'm planning buying a 3080 shortly but torn between an ultrawide 34" 1440p 144hz 1ms monitor (the favourite) or something like a 42" 4k 60hz 5ms.

I want my other games to look pretty too though. I do sit quite close to my monitor and do play a lot of DCS.

Am I best getting the 1440p and upgrade this in a few years when 4k 144hz comes down in price or is 4k 60hz better?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My personal opinion is to go VR. The upcoming HP reverb G2 should be the dogs danglies, and the 3080 should happily run it.
I simply never fly in DCS without VR.

If however you insist on going with a monitor, can you fit in one of the new LG 48" OLED. They have Gsync capability and certainly do look the dogs danglies.

Associate
My personal opinion is to go VR. The upcoming HP reverb G2 should be the dogs danglies, and the 3080 should happily run it.
I simply never fly in DCS without VR.

If however you insist on going with a monitor, can you fit in one of the new LG 48" OLED. They have Gsync capability and certainly do look the dogs danglies.

Yeah thanks, I'll be going VR at some point just fancy a high refresh ultra wide I think

Soldato
Hi DCS players can I ask some beginner questions please.

Basically I want to play this sim in VR. I'm probably gonna get the X56 hotas so there will be plenty of buttons on that to map. Also I can have the mouse next to me so I will be able to reach that easily with the headset on. But I won't be able to see the keyboard.

So can I operate all the required controls in the cockpit using the mouse from within VR? I believe this is known as a virtual cockpit?

What modules would I need to buy as a beginner to enable this to work easily?

Thanks

Ps it will probably help for me to say Ive already tried the free version but I don't have a hotas yet so I was using a joypad, and the cockpit in the free version I don't think had clickable buttons, and I need a new GPU to power it properly as well. So lots of things to do before I get a good experience but for something so complex I'd need to know what Im working towards hence this post.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi DCS players can I ask some beginner questions please.

Basically I want to play this sim in VR. I'm probably gonna get the X56 hotas so there will be plenty of buttons on that to map. Also I can have the mouse next to me so I will be able to reach that easily with the headset on. But I won't be able to see the keyboard.

So can I operate all the required controls in the cockpit using the mouse from within VR? I believe this is known as a virtual cockpit?

What modules would I need to buy as a beginner to enable this to work easily?

Thanks

Ps it will probably help for me to say Ive already tried the free version but I don't have a hotas yet so I was using a joypad, and the cockpit in the free version I don't think had clickable buttons, and I need a new GPU to power it properly as well. So lots of things to do before I get a good experience but for something so complex I'd need to know what Im working towards hence this post.

I play DCS in VR....Its a rabbit hole for your credit card. lol

I think the X56 gets some stick and the T1600m is possibly a better option. I bought a T1600m But very quickly went stupid mode and bought a Virpil set up. The boss of the Grim Reapers DCS group uses a T1600m. Its just I had some bonus money to spend so went Baller mode. I also went mental on the steam sale.

So onto your questions.. Looks like getting the flaming cliffs 3 pack is the normal place to start. However you can download the MB 339 A/Pan which is a community module

My dinner is calling, I'll update more asap

Soldato
@mattyg thanks. I had come across the Flaming Cliffs 3 pack in a beginners article I found but I understood from this article that it didnt have fully clickable cockpits which I think must be essential if playing in VR?

They dont have fully clickable cockpits but you can bind what you need to the HOTAS. Especially for learning the basics. Don't forget that whilst you can "play" at DCS its a combat simulator and can get pretty in depth. I really enjoyed the F15 and then went for the F18 and lost a bit of my mojo as the learning curve took some of the fun out of it. Its back now though.. Just really hoping to upgrade the GPU and Headset to make things clearer.

Soldato
They dont have fully clickable cockpits but you can bind what you need to the HOTAS. Especially for learning the basics. Don't forget that whilst you can "play" at DCS its a combat simulator and can get pretty in depth. I really enjoyed the F15 and then went for the F18 and lost a bit of my mojo as the learning curve took some of the fun out of it. Its back now though.. Just really hoping to upgrade the GPU and Headset to make things clearer.

Yeah this is what concerns me. I know that controls can be bound to buttons, and a good hotas will have probably 50 buttons on it. But to me that's not realistic because in real life the whole jet, radio etc would all be controllable from the cockpit and things would be labelled. Pilots wouldn't have keyboard shortcuts to remember or have to remember which button on their joystick dropped the landing gear. When ive tried flightsims in the past its always been the number of keyboard shortcuts to remember that puts me off and makes it harder to learn - whereas in VR, with a real clickable cockpit, it should in my opinion be far far easier to learn as you're actually pressing labelled buttons. If you can't remember what button did something, you can actually look for it in the cockpit in real time.

Hence, I would rather just go straight in by having a fully clickable cockpit, with the mouse being used to represent the finger in real life, and making the throttle and joystick have only the buttons that would be there in real life.

Soldato
Yeah this is what concerns me. I know that controls can be bound to buttons, and a good hotas will have probably 50 buttons on it. But to me that's not realistic because in real life the whole jet, radio etc would all be controllable from the cockpit and things would be labelled. Pilots wouldn't have keyboard shortcuts to remember or have to remember which button on their joystick dropped the landing gear. When ive tried flightsims in the past its always been the number of keyboard shortcuts to remember that puts me off and makes it harder to learn - whereas in VR, with a real clickable cockpit, it should in my opinion be far far easier to learn as you're actually pressing labelled buttons. If you can't remember what button did something, you can actually look for it in the cockpit in real time.

Hence, I would rather just go straight in by having a fully clickable cockpit, with the mouse being used to represent the finger in real life, and making the throttle and joystick have only the buttons that would be there in real life.

In that case you'll need to just into one of the "HD" units.... My fave is the F18

Back
Top Bottom